Need Relief for my Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Relief for my Dog

My poor Whiskey dog has gotten the itchy scratchies something fierce. She'll lay on the floor scratching her back against the carpet making all kinds of noises. If I pet her, she starts kicking her leg so hard she nearly falls over. This has all started in the last couple of weeks and has gotten progressively worse.

Our dogs have been on the same food (4health grain free) for several years so I am not leaning toward food allergies unless their recipe changed. I have bathed her multiple times in an oatmeal based dog shampoo. I have given her benedryl. We use Frontline or Advantix for fleas and ticks plus we haven't noticed either one on our pups.

Nothing seems to be giving her any relief. My next steps are a medicated shampoo and a change of food. Any other suggestions?

Not sure how your local vet operates, but out here in the sticks, I can just swing by the vets office and explain the symptoms and ol doc will give some recommendations. Wouldnt even need to take the dog in. Might want to give that a shot before spending any money on something that may not help her. I dont have any other ideas than what you have already tried. Do know that sometimes giving them too many baths will dry their skin out and could actually make it worse instead of better. Good luck on finding some relief for her.

Comment

Happy Jack Products. Itch No More Shampoo, Tonekote and Skin Balm.

One of my beagles had a similar problem. The Skin Balm worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
        Happy Jack Products. Itch No More Shampoo, Tonekote and Skin Balm.

One of my beagles had a similar problem. The Skin Balm worked great.
        Thanks!

Comment

Apaquill (rx from vet) will stop the itching.

Jason Slocum

Comment

What kind of dog? I’ll have to look and see what brand it was I used for my bulldog. She was always having skin problems until my vet turned me onto this stuff and it worked well!

Comment

Originally posted by Acameron52 View Post
              What kind of dog? I’ll have to look and see what brand it was I used for my bulldog. She was always having skin problems until my vet turned me onto this stuff and it worked well!
              Yella lab.

Comment

If it is allergies might try Benadryl in the mean time till you can get em to the vet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We use Benadryl and Boudroux's butt paste on our Frenchie. Plus No itch style shampoo. We also give here some coconut oil each day.
                  Last edited by bps3040; 11-06-2017, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Benadryl and medicated shampoo worked for our dog. Also, I had to stop giving her the flea pill once a month......She would start itching like crazy within hours of giving it to her. I guess she developed a reaction to it because she has been on it for many years.

Comment

Is there poultry product in the food?

My dog was very similar until we removed all poultry products. She developed an allergy at a out 6 years of age.

Comment

I had a lab that did exactly the same thing. She got sob ad that she had scratched over half of her hair off. She was also on the same food for several years.. Well three vets later and many many tests, we finally found a vet that took a skin culture and sent it to A&M. They found that she was allergic to some small additive in her food. We had to make her venison stews, with fresh potato, and carrots with no seasonings of any kind. We did this for 4-5 months, took almost two deer, to cure the problem.If you don't want to use venison the vet said chicken or turkey eould work also, we just venison cause we had plenty. We then switched her to Blue Buffalo dog food and no more problems.

Comment

Fish/Salmon oil in the food.
                          Or go to the feed store and get a jug of Healthycoat for horses. Pour a little over the food

Comment

my new dog is going through this right now. since the day we got him he has been scratching insane. I just bought him some cortisone shampoo but haven't bathed him in it yet. we got some soothing itch spray, but he does NOT like us putting it on him. I have also purchased some Alaskan salmon oil to put in his food... we have tried 3 different dog foods with no improvement yet.
                            I feel bad for the little guy.

Comment

ours takes a steroid. Def go see a vet

Comment

Working...
                              X