Help your neighbor...YOUR Friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help your neighbor...YOUR Friend!

After I HAD to sell my little ranch outside Granbury 6 years past...divorce and getting older.."we all have to move on sometimes depending on circumstances." But the love and memories have not passed!

Well, I had two great neighbors whose acreages adjoined my ole' place. Both are widows and getting up in age....my wife and I helped one of the ole' girls this weekend repairing and installing floats in 3 tanks to help water her horses. Annie had broken her wrist 2 weeks ago and could not do the repairs herself (71 years young)...so my wife Susan and I spent Saturday afternoon just helping and enjoying what "I" miss so much these days. Momma and Annie sat and enjoyed talking....and I worked, not much, but it was great being back in the "country." We are retired...so it was a blessing to just help and remember?

Annie kept telling me how much she appreciated the help, how embarrassed she could not do these simple repairs? It rejuvenated my soul to the days I did this and more everyday...oh how I loved it helping my friend! Her husband died in his recliner 2 years after I bought in 2005....Viet Nam "Marine Sniper Veteran," just another part of my love and history for Crippled Bear Creek Ranch, MY little Ranch, MY dream that came true...….REAL People...just country like!

When I finished the job, I borrowed her Mule (UTV,) crossed the bridge across Long Creek and headed to my old ranch house. So many memories as after I sold and before, my previous ranch house burned to the ground 3 years past. The land sold again to a Midland Oil man...he's just using the acreage for his Long Horn's and horses. Gone are the electric fences I worked so hard to put up and keep my "knot head horses in." Now...barbed wire, but that's ok.

Coming back down the caliche' road, crossing the bridge....I had to stop and think of Rick...the other widow friend/neighbor's husband. We were clearing the culverts of logs, trash before forecasted BIG rains hit and he had a massive heart attack. Rick died in my arms waiting on Hood County EMS to arrive. I'll never forget when he said...Bear, I'm not going to make it. Now, she has her ranch for sale...just can't do all those chores and upkeep anymore.

Guess I'm one of the old farts....just remembering days gone but so thankful for the love of REAL friends, neighbors.... I remember those days, sweat, sore body...Lord, how I miss them in "my" old age!

Point is...we all grow old, but take time to still help your neighbors, REAL friends...I will always remember what my late Dad told me...

"If you can count on ONE hand...your true friends...YOU are very lucky!"

I'm blessed...."Count YOUR true friends and stay in touch, keep them close as the fakes will soon disappear....."

Well said.

Comment

Very well said Sir, God Bless you.

God Bless
      Bish

Comment

So true! My wife and have been in Angel Fire for a few days staying with old friends in their vacation home, and the last two days on the San Juan River. Sid and I have been fly fishing while the wives shopped, read their books and drank wine! We have known them for 49 years, since the year after we got married. He and I both started working at First National Bank in Dallas right out of college. We have have watched their kids grow up and get married. He was with me when I shot my first deer. We all took a horsepack trip north of Chama when our boys could barely ride a horse and camped out for a week, watching elk and deer come down to the meadow beside camp. We snow skied together. So many memories!

He now owns a 960 ac ranch in Bee County with a nice house, and it is pretty much the only place I hunt anymore. My wife goes with me and does not have to stay home anymore.

Good, good friends are like family!

Comment

Very nice write up. Makes you stop and think.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X