Idaho Bull Elk Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idaho Bull Elk Down

My dad's dream hunt was to get an elk with his bow. He just retired in January and he felt like his window to get around in the mountains was closing so off we went to a private ranch in Idaho with our bows.

We were in a spike camp with decent accommodations and a cook who had some mad dutch over cooking skills. Luck would have it that the two other guys in camp were TBH'ers (I'll let them chime in if they'd like)! We all shared tons of laughs around the fire that week and left as friends.

The hunting was a little slow at first with warm temps and a full moon but on the second morning there was lots of action and my dad was able to make an awesome 45 yard heart shot on a big bull and saw him fall in sight. We were both really excited that he was able to fulfill his dream of an elk with a bow.

The next afternoon, after sitting on a wallow all day covered in flies, bees and ants and not seeing anything, we decided to make a move and check out a ridge at last light. We radioed for someone to pick us up in a Ranger to get us to the ridge before sunset and my dad and his guide were at camp and volunteered to come give us a lift over to this other mountain. So off we went, myself, my guide and my dad busting through some brush on a last ditch effort to see a bull that day. As we were walking my dad caught a quick glimpse at some horns coming out of the timber in a draw way down below us so we made quick work to the other side of the draw and hoped the bull would filter that direction. I crouched down in a bush and waited with my dad behind me in another bush. We heard something coming and I slowly turn to see the bull standing right behind my dad where I had no shot. He slowly worked his way around us and was about to walk in my shooting lane so I drew. He caught wind of us and hung up and I held my bow for a full minute before he took the step that I needed to shoot him at 21 yards. He piled up about 80 yards away in some timber.

Overall it was a fantastic trip spending time with my dad and coming home with two bulls. It was also great to share a fire with some TBH'ers!

My dad's bull

Click image for larger version

Name:	dad.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	25126370

My bull

Click image for larger version

Name:	375.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	25126371

Congrats! Awesome bulls!

Comment

That's awesome congratulations on some amazing bulls.

Comment

dang son! congrats on a great hunt and forging memories for a lifetime! Some fine bulls you two put on the ground!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

holy guacamole bat man!!! great bulls!!

Comment

That is awesome, congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Those bulls are awesome congrats !!

Comment

Beautiful.
                        Congrats to you both

Comment

Congrats to both of you

Comment

That is awesome, hope to do that with my son someday

Comment

Absolutely amazing bulls! Congrats! Any idea on score? Just trying to learn a little.

Comment

Working...
                              X