Muzzleloader - Colorado compliant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloader - Colorado compliant

So it looks like there is a very strong possibility that I can draw a good muzzleloader tag in Colorado. Out of all of the times I’ve squeezed a trigger in my life, not once has it been on a muzzleloader. I’m a complete novice.

Do any of you have recommendations on a specific muzzleloader that would be Colorado compliant? I want something capable of decent accuracy but I’m not looking to break the bank. I can’t put a flipping scope on the thing in Colorado so a custom, long-range rig just doesn’t make sense.

I’d just like to know what you guys have used and have had good experiences with. I’m a complete novice when it comes to this type of bang stick.

Also, what about load recommendations. It seems like everyone likes Blackhorn 209 powder since I can’t shoot pelletized. Also, bullet recommendations. No sabots allowed.

For accuracy I’m assuming that a peep sight would be best but for hunting situations am I limiting myself. What are the pros and cons and what is the best open sight option?

I looked for this myself. The CVA Accura seemed to be the answer I was regularly told. Tuned in.

Comment

So I use 110 gr pyrodex rs with a 295 gr powerbelt. Took me a long time to find a good load. I was biased to the power belts and tried a lot of others before finally buying a box. My TC shoots them the best

I have a peep sight. I really like it better than the blades. I get 1" groups at 100 yds and feel comfortable shooting to 200 with it if conditions are right. Personally I can't focus with the blade type sights. Never get a clear shot picture.

I have heard mixed reviews on black horn. But I'm no expert.

I'll be putting in again this year for muzzy. I like it.

Comment

What are the regulations on muzzleloaders in Colorado? I dont think you can use pellet powder or sabots. If that is true what ever you shoot will need to be accurate with Maxi Balls or round ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
          What are the regulations on muzzleloaders in Colorado? I dont think you can use pellet powder or sabots. If that is true what ever you shoot will need to be accurate with Maxi Balls or round ball.

Colorado doesn’t allow pelletized powder or sabots but there appears to be other options other than round ball. But I’m a total novice so all I really know for sure is what I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am not real familiar either, only what I have been told by other hunters. I have looked at the Colorado website and there it says you can only use open sights. Heck, you might as well buy a traditional muzzle loader with a 1-66 twist for patched round balls.

Comment

I've hunted with muzzleloaders for about 15 years because where I hunt allows only limited range weapons. I've used Harrington and Richardson, Thompson Center, early model CVA's, and several other brands that I cant recall right now. Far and away the best muzzleloader I've used are CVA Accura's and CVA Optima. After buying an Accura for my dad I bought one for myself and an Optima for my wife. All of them shoot lights out. With 100 grains of BH 209 and 250 grain Hornady Sabots I'm getting sub-MOA groups. The Optima is supposed to be the lesser gun but it loves that load and shoots well enough for me to shoot pigs behind the ear at 100 yards and drops them in their tracks. If you shoot BH 209 you have to buy the replacement breech plug for that powder. Not sure what the restrictions are for Colorado but the Accuras and Optimas are quality guns regardless. They have an adjustable trigger that is as crisp as my Remington Model 700.

Comment

tuned in.

Comment

Originally posted by RdRdrFan View Post
                  Colorado doesn’t allow pelletized powder or sabots but there appears to be other options other than round ball. But I’m a total novice so all I really know for sure is what I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Yea that and only open sights.

There are people I know that use patch and ball. Ain't nothing wrong with it. My TC doesn't have the twist or I would have tried them.

Comment

I can only speak from my own experience,but I built my own Kentucky long rifle. 50 cal shooting 178 gr round ball ahead of 120 gr of 2 F black powder. I went to Colorado in October and had one of the most beautiful hunts you can imagine. The aspens had changed colors but not dropped their leaves...didn't get to shoot at anything but it was a beautiful time to be there.

Comment

TC rifle, 100 grains of buckhorn 209 powder and a 300 grain Hornady FPB bullet

Comment

I have a t/c hawken (.50 cal.)and a knight ( inline) ( .54cal) I shoot around 120-150 gr. Of goex ffg powder. I have good luck with hornady Great Plains bullets. I have used the power belt bullets also. Best accuracy with these ( was told by the manufacture they are ok to use here. ) I have not shot either one I a very long time, archery has pretty much all I do any more. And we have to kinda choose one season ( for the most part) to hunt in. 100 yards is about as far as I will shoot ( at game ) with either one, and have harvested a lot of animals with both. Good luck, they are fun to hunt with.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                          I have a t/c hawken (.50 cal.)and a knight ( inline) ( .54cal) I shoot around 120-150 gr. Of goex ffg powder. I have good luck with hornady Great Plains bullets. I have used the power belt bullets also. Best accuracy with these ( was told by the manufacture they are ok to use here. ) I have not shot either one I a very long time, archery has pretty much all I do any more. And we have to kinda choose one season ( for the most part) to hunt in. 100 yards is about as far as I will shoot ( at game ) with either one, and have harvested a lot of animals with both. Good luck, they are fun to hunt with.
                          Yea I wasn't sure powerbelts were acceptable here but later found out they were. I could not get the Great Plains to shoot outta mine. All over the board when I shot. Another benefit I found with powerbelts is that I can load 3 or maybe 4 of them with out cleaning. Before with the TC bullets and Great Plains I was lucky to get two shot and that second required some pounding.

Comment

I have a TC BoneCollector that shoots real well with the Barnes Sabots and 209 Buckhorn Powder, unfortunately it would not be legal in Colorado. I would have to shoot Maxi Balls or Great Plains bullets and open sights.

I think Buff has a rifle built by October Rifles and it is a big caliber, you could pm him and get more info. I inquired about the October Rifle and they are high quality but also high in price.

Comment

Working...
                            X