New Drinking Game - NBA Traveling Not Called by Referees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Drinking Game - NBA Traveling Not Called by Referees

OK, I'm not a big fan of the NBA but I've found a new way to watch it with friends. Everybody grabs a beer and starts watching. Every time a player travels and the referee doesn't call it, we take a drink. Amazing how quickly you can get hammered. Also, if the referee actually does call traveling, we have to slam the rest of our beer. Makes it fairly entertaining.

All kidding aside but what does an NBA player have to do to get called for traveling?? I was even watching ESPN Top 10 plays this morning and Manu Ginobili (who I actually really like) made a great (legal) spin move in front of the bench and came across the lane for a scoop shot between 2 guys. Unfortunately he took 3 steps (maybe even a 4th half step) after picking up the ball but no call. AND IT MADE ESPN TOP 10!!! Second time in a week I've seen a "so called" great play where the offensive player traveled. Oh, and don't get me started on whether a player is carrying the basketball or not.

NBA has gotten way too political for my tastes and gotten away from fundamental basketball. On the flip side, the new game they play definitely has a good following among the younger generation and is entertaining & prospering. Don't mean to bash the NBA because they are definitely some great athletes but it's just a totally different game then what I grew up with. That's all....

Probably die of alcohol poisoning before half time.

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
      OK, I'm not a big fan of the NBA but I've found a new way to watch it with friends. Everybody grabs a beer and starts watching. Every time a player travels and the referee doesn't call it, we take a drink. Amazing how quickly you can get hammered. Also, if the referee actually does call traveling, we have to slam the rest of our beer. Makes it fairly entertaining.

All kidding aside but what does an NBA player have to do to get called for traveling?? I was even watching ESPN Top 10 plays this morning and Manu Ginobili (who I actually really like) made a great (legal) spin move in front of the bench and came across the lane for a scoop shot between 2 guys. Unfortunately he took 3 steps (maybe even a 4th half step) after picking up the ball but no call. AND IT MADE ESPN TOP 10!!! Second time in a week I've seen a "so called" great play where the offensive player traveled. Oh, and don't get me started on whether a player is carrying the basketball or not.

NBA has gotten way too political for my tastes and gotten away from fundamental basketball. On the flip side, the new game they play definitely has a good following among the younger generation and is entertaining & prospering. Don't mean to bash the NBA because they are definitely some great athletes but it's just a totally different game then what I grew up with. That's all....
      I agree. Quit watching a few years ago. Just not entertaining to me anymore. Especially with only one or two teams having a realistic chance to win a championship

Comment

Traveling is hit or miss on being called but carrying the ball is nothing like it was. Rule change cut that out compared to late 90s and early 2000s. They were terrible about it then

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If traveling is called, the majority of the time it will be when a player moves his pivot foot. Even then, they don't call this sometimes although even coaches will get pretty upset over a no call here.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I think that picture was taken at my Trinity County lease

Comment

Lmao yep you will rack up a tab pretty quick if your watching it at Buffalo Wild Wings

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                  If traveling is called, the majority of the time it will be when a player moves his pivot foot. Even then, they don't call this sometimes although even coaches will get pretty upset over a no call here.
                  I'm not a big fan of the NBA, but I've seen some videos of Lebron on Youtube where he consistently moves his pivot foot, and actually changes what foot he pivots on. No call. Crazy what he seemingly gets away with.. at least in the couple videos compellations I saw.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                    I agree, they seem to ignore it more on drives to the basket. Most of the calls I do see are big men moving their pivot foot in the post.

Comment

NBA? What's that? It's been dead to me for quite some time. I even turn the station when sports talk radio brings it up.

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                        I'm not a big fan of the NBA, but I've seen some videos of Lebron on Youtube where he consistently moves his pivot foot, and actually changes what foot he pivots on. No call. Crazy what he seemingly gets away with.. at least in the couple videos compellations I saw.
                        Funny you mention Lebron James. There is a new commercial out where a young kid is dreaming about playing basketball. He's in High School first, then at Duke and finally he's in the NBA at Cleveland. On the last play, Lebron is dribbling and lobs the ball off the backboard to the kid for dunk. If you look closely, Lebron looks like he takes a half dozen steps after picking up his dribble before he lobs the ball..... Can't even get a travel call during a commercial

Comment

I hadn't watched in a long time. My 6 year old wants to play this year so my wife and I tried to watch it last night to see if we wanted to get him interested in watching or going to a game. We couldn't even make it on quarter.

Comment

While traveling is still bad in the NBA, they are calling way more traveling violations this year as they have made a point to try can clean it up. The problem is now with all the traveling calls it's made the game have less flow with all the traveling calls. They need to continue to call it though because the players will learn to adapt and stop traveling. I think they let several traveling violations go during the game right now because nobody wants to watch a game that the whistle blows every time down the floor.

Comment

If you need a game, to drink ... you're doing it wrong!

Comment

Working...
                              X