X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice shop

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
      Nice! Where can you get them? How many would you recommend for a 40x100 building same height?

Thanks Larry. I got them from one of my suppliers. I’ll try to find the info on them.

On a shop that length I’d probably do 14-16 depending on what you will be doing inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Here you go Larry.

I got the 24” long, 22,000 lumen model.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
          16 4’ LED’s in a 40x60, from sams club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I was just looking at these lights online last night. Do they hard wire in? I have all the wires already ran to the lights currently in the shop. I was a little confused about the linkable connection they speak of.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            Here you go Larry.

I got the 24” long, 22,000 lumen model.

Thanks Mike! Now would you consider coming and putting them in for free?

Comment

Anyone try the ufo led shaped lights? Building a 40 x 50 and thought 6 might do the trick.

Comment

LED are the way to go .. I have to swap over to them , as mine are not and the ballast are failing and no longer made mine at two 8 footers hooked together .

I would suggest that you also had lights in the sides of the walls on a separate switch . I work in mine and there is no such thing as too much light . Think of a spray booth for painting cars ..

Not that many but a few.. Over your work bench they need to be lower as well .

Hind sight is 20/20 for sure and I plan to double the amount of lights I have as I find I am working in shadows all too often .

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleGG View Post
                  I was just looking at these lights online last night. Do they hard wire in? I have all the wires already ran to the lights currently in the shop. I was a little confused about the linkable connection they speak of.

Mine were all plug wired, mine don’t daisy chain.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                    Who built your shop? Looks alot like mine.
                    5 Starr Builders

Comment

If you want to od on lighting information, go to www.garagejournal.com . They have a complete section of their forum on Lighting and Electrical.

Comment

LED
                        Go heavy on lights and electrical receptacles is my vote.

Comment

Originally posted by wdtorque View Post
                          LED
                          Go heavy on lights and electrical receptacles is my vote.
                          I used double boxes with two duplex outlets in each. Doubles the number of outlets with minimal additional labor andexpense.

Comment

As for a suggestion for lights, definitely LEDs. They come on instantly and can be very bright. My shop used to be pretty dark. It had some big commercial lights out a larger warehouse. I think they were florescent lights of some type. They have been replaced with LEDs. Then I went to Lowe's and bought some more LEDs to put over the area where my mill, lathe, MIG and TIG are. They look kind of like common old fluorescent lights, but they are LEDs. I got five of those, if I remember correctly. They do a very good job of lighting up the whole shop, better than the lights that had been in the shop, even after those got replace with LEDs.

I am going to eventually build a shop on our property, I am going to put a lot of LEDs in it. I don't want any more of those dark areas in the shop and or when working on something on a work bench along a wall, I am casting a shadow on whatever I am working on. I am going to put lights all along the walls. I have around five work benches, that will all go in the shop at the house. I don't want any more shadows anywhere in the shop. I have that problem often in the shop I am in now. There are only four lights in the shop, not counting the ones I put over my metal working area. those four lights, are basically in each quarter of the shop. Really sucks when I have a car on the lift, it is dark under the car or on the sides of the car. Such as, along one wall, that has a lift next to it. When I have a car up on that lift, it is extra dark at the work bench next to the lift. It's dark in that area normally, but I might as well have the lights turned off, the lighting is so bad along that wall, when I have a car on the lift. I have been dealing with poorly arranged lighting for way too long. I am going to put lights where I want them, basically, plenty in the situated in the middle of the shop, the lighting all along the walls. I may even put lights on each post for the lift or lifts, angled upwards. I keep saying I am going to get rid of one, which I probably will. I want one two post lift and one drive on lift, I have two, two post lifts now. When I get the shop built on our property, I want it set up, where I can work as late as I choose, I want to be able to see as well as possible. I don't want to have to find someone to hold a light for me all the time, nor do I want to have to use those work lights that are mounted on stands. Those things get very hot, then if you place them where they are lighting up the underside of a car, that you are working on, as soon as you turn around or back up, you run into the light and knock it over. Also they cook the back of my head, when I have them set up behind me.

Comment

Also, the lighter color your ceiling and walls are the better reflection and less shadow.

Comment

I ordered some of these to replace some old lights in my shop. I will let you know how they are when I get them. Ruralking.com is the website.

Comment

Working...
                                X