Texins Archery Club Indoor "Bowhunter" League Starts Sept. 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texins Archery Club Indoor "Bowhunter" League Starts Sept. 7

Texins Archery Club will have a 5-week "Bowhunter" League at the TXAA indoor range in Plano (600B Accent Dr, Plano, 75025) starting on Wednesday, September 7. The shoots will be from 7pm - 9pm each Wednesday, from September 7 thru October 5. Since hunting season is almost upon us, the emphasis in this League will be shooting scenarios and targets that simulate hunting conditions - think of it as a tune-up for hunting. Here are some of the details and groundrules:

* Entry fee is $75 ( $15 per week), payable at the first shoot. To be eligible for the Grand Prizes, you must participate in all 5 weeks. In addition, each week there will be an optional money pot - shooters can contribute $5 to the pot, and the pot will be paid-out to the top shooters that night.

* There will be separate classes for Compound shooters and Traditional shooters. Compound shooters may not use "target bows" - that is, no scopes, and no stabilizers longer than 12 inches. The idea is to use a bow rigged for hunting.

* Grand Prize for each class will be a Hog Hunt hosted by Clint Montgomery at the property he leases from North Star Outfitters (near Tyler, TX). Prizes will be based on your cumulative scores from all five weeks.

* The format will vary each week, with at least 20 shots at both 2-D and 3-D animal targets. Rangefinders and binoculars may be used. The shot setups/scenarios will become progressively more challenging each week, and will include shooting from an elevated platform, from inside a pop-up blind, and from a hang-on style tree stand secured to a column of the building (the tree stand will just be a couple feet off the floor though). We may vary the lighting conditions too. The point of all this is to create fun ways to simulate shots taken under hunting conditions.

* At the final shoot on Oct. 5, we will up the ante a bit - some of the shots will require you to shoot broadheads! You hunters know that the ultimate test of how well your hunting bow is set-up and tuned is how it performs shooting broadhead-tipped arrows. So, continuing the theme of simulating hunting scenarios, we will have some shots where you will be scored according to how close you come to hitting designated spots on a 3-D target with broadhead-tipped arrows. You will be able to potentially gain (or lose) a lot of points based on these shots - yes, just like in real hunting, there will be a penalty for making bad shots in this scenario.

Hopefully this will be a challenging and fun format that will have the secondary benefit of helping you get tuned up for hunting season. Plus it will be a great way to get to know other club members and even recruit new folks. If you want to participate, please email Bob Barnette (info@dallasarchery.com) so that we can have an advance idea of how many shooters to expect. Then the formal signup and entry fee payment can be done at our first shoot on the 7th. Come out and join us!

How did the first night go? Sounds like a lot of fun - unfortunately business travel is forcing me to miss this league. I'll join up next time around.

Comment

I thought it went well.........had 15 shooters, and we received a lot of positive comments. We did the normal League shooting, two rounds of 10 targets, then had a money-pot Challenge Shoot, which consisted of shooting at a dot on a Rinehart ball target at 40 yds. Two out of six hit it the first time, then did a second round (shooting at a smaller dot) to determine a winner.

Before we started we discussed the groundrules as a group, and did make a change: the Grand Prize winners will be determined based on their best 4 scores rather than all 5 scores. Therefore if someone misses a night, or just has a bad score, then they can still be in the running. This means folks can still join the league on Sept 14 and have their results based on the remaining 4 weeks. So, its not too late to jump in and be eligible to win a hog hunt!

If anyone wants to sign up, please let me know (info@dallasarchery.com) and come join us next Wednesday at 7pm.

Comment

I participated last night and had a blast. It was my first shoot to compete in and I liked the format. I don't know the general feeling towards "target" shooters but everyone participating last night was a bowhunter so it seemed more laid back than I expected. Clint, Bob Barnette and Tony Fontana have done a great job with the place. Oh, and I'm $25 richer as a result of the long distance shoot so you're not going to hear me complain.

Comment

Scores are posted on the Texins Archery Club website at this link:

Comment

Sounds like fun

Might have to swing in next shoot and play,,,,TTT

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post
              I participated last night and had a blast. It was my first shoot to compete in and I liked the format. I don't know the general feeling towards "target" shooters but everyone participating last night was a bowhunter so it seemed more laid back than I expected. Clint, Bob Barnette and Tony Fontana have done a great job with the place. Oh, and I'm $25 richer as a result of the long distance shoot so you're not going to hear me complain.
              you're welcome, D!

Comment

Originally posted by crook View Post
                you're welcome, D!
                I bet you won't let that happen again! Looking forward to Wednesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dchilds View Post
                  I bet you won't let that happen again! Looking forward to Wednesday.
                  Me too! See you then

Comment

ttt.......its not too late to join in!

Comment

Working...
                    X