No announcement yet.

Lonesome Dove: Favorite Line or Scene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lonesome Dove is a classic, probably best western novel ever written. Rest of the series McMurtry went off the rails, horrible unrealistic books.

Comment

The real Josh Deets:

”Bose Ikard (1859–1928) with me four years on the Goodnight-Loving Trail, never shirked duty or disobeyed an order, rode with me in many stampedes, participated in three engagements with Comanches, splendid behavior.” C. GOODNIGHT

Comment

What county was the moody ranch in?

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
          Favorite one is "gonna be a good night to go into Mexico and cross some stock"

Gus says "cross'em and do what with'em

Woodrow-"IT AINT AGAINST THE LAW FOR YOU TO WORK AUGUSTUS!"

Comment

Originally posted by hondo View Post
            The real Josh Deets:

”Bose Ikard (1859–1928) with me four years on the Goodnight-Loving Trail, never shirked duty or disobeyed an order, rode with me in many stampedes, participated in three engagements with Comanches, splendid behavior.” C. GOODNIGHT
            Like to hear more about this.....

Comment

bump

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                We don't rent pigs
                Yes sir..... The gate to my atv trailer

Comment

There are so many great quotes. Such a great movie. "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it"

Comment

Luke

"Was he tryin' Ya marry you?"

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      When I watch the movie, I get a bit of a different perspective than most... You see, it was made on our deer lease... we had to move some stands, etc. That moccasin scene is in a low water crossing of Sycamore Creek about 200 yards behind where our camp was. When Gus and Lori were in the creek taking a bath and Blue Duck came riding down that split in the rock face, Those white stains on that rock in the creek are from bars of soap we kept there for bathing. During the time they were shooting, our camp got broken into by some "Illegals" and they stole my jeep. Just as they crashed the front gate with it, some of the movie crew was coming back from town and saw 'em. They called the law and I was able to get my jeep back. After they were done, we used to go there for photo ops. I have tons of pics of my kids in the old set of the house and the hotel, etc.

What was most striking is how "REAL" they made the movie look with that set. the Hotel was in reality nothing but a front with a stair case just inside the door that went nowhere. and the upstairs was just wide enough to stand on and look out the window. there was no back on any of it. The hotel burned down, but Mr. Moody made 'em build it back after they were done with the shooting. the old burned up piano was still sitting beside the rebuilt facade. The house was nothing but a facade with a front door and just in side the front room was just wide enough to stand back so you could walk out the door. And that bridge across the creek... In the movie it looked like it took for ever to walk across it... It was maybe 20-25 feet long in reality. It was a real bridge, but it sure wasn't much of a bridge.

And were Call buried Gus under all those big old pecan trees is one of the best turkey roosts in South Texas. I killed my first turkey with a bow within a hunert yards of the grave scene... The year after they finished the movie, we moved our camp up closer toward town so we could have electricity brought in.. sometimes I still miss that creek and that Sycamore Creek bottom...

Not much left of the movie set... the mesicans have stolen anything useful and took it back across the river... Yes, it was really built right on the Rio Grande. They just didn't really cross the river to go get the cattle... If you ever watch the remake of the Gunsmoke movie where Michael Learned played Miss Kitty because Amanda Blake died before they were able to make the movie, look at the movie town and house closely... same place/same set as Lonesome Dove...
                      I concur with others that it is indeed the greatest Western ever made.
                      Great story Charlie! I remember you telling some of it before but thanks for sharing the rest.

Comment

Comment

Cool stuff. I prefer to remember it all as it was in the movie though.

Comment

Inherited a rifle just like Gus' from my Father. Love to be a long range marksman like ole' Gus!

Comment

Thanks for the link, that is a good read.

Comment

A wall won't stop a bullet but a dentist will.

Comment

Working...
                                X