Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
Micahbo
Spike

Hunt In: Bastrop County and Lampasas County
Default Vacation to Switzerland

The wife and I are going to Interlaken Switzerland in September. Has anyone been and have recommendations on things to see or restaurants? Hoping to find some activities that are reasonably priced.
Micahbo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
outlook8
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micahbo View Post
The wife and I are going to Interlaken Switzerland in September. Has anyone been and have recommendations on things to see or restaurants? Hoping to find some activities that are reasonably priced.
There is NOTHING reasonably priced in Switzerland...Iím talking $25 hamburgers. Beautiful place to visit, but donít look at the prices...
outlook8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
Micahbo
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlook8 View Post
There is NOTHING reasonably priced in Switzerland...Iím talking $25 hamburgers. Beautiful place to visit, but donít look at the prices...
Thanks for letting me know. Now I can start saving a little more money.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
airehead
Pope & Young

Hunt In: No lease

It was 1974 I am sure that somethings have changed
It was not cheep then I’m sure it’s higher than giraffe ears now

Enjoy
Ron
airehead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 04:09 PM   #5
CentexRancher
Ten Point

Train tickets are cheap enough, dont waste all your time there in one location, you will regret it. Hop on the train one morning and roll to Milan, Italy. Its only like 3 hours which is nothing when you're kicking back on a train and not focusing on driving. Lots of good places surrounding Duomo in Milan. Just get on the train each day and make day trips to all the nearby cities. Shop and eat in a different city each day. You should only be in your hotel from the hours of 9pm to 7am if not your wasting time! Bring your best rain gear as its always raining in Switzerland.
CentexRancher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
PROD49
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Love Switzerland and the town of Gruyere! Make sure you eat Raclette! I attached some photos of Gruyere and other areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited by PROD49; 04-18-2018 at 04:24 PM.
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #7
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

Quote:
Go to Murren, right up the road. The Interlaken area os my favorite place on earth. Where are you staying?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Micahbo
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentexRancher View Post
Train tickets are cheap enough, dont waste all your time there in one location, you will regret it. Hop on the train one morning and roll to Milan, Italy. Its only like 3 hours which is nothing when you're kicking back on a train and not focusing on driving. Lots of good places surrounding Duomo in Milan. Just get on the train each day and make day trips to all the nearby cities. Shop and eat in a different city each day. You should only be in your hotel from the hours of 9pm to 7am if not your wasting time! Bring your best rain gear as its always raining in Switzerland.
This is a genius idea. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:49 AM   #9
Micahbo
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROD49 View Post
Love Switzerland and the town of Gruyere! Make sure you eat Raclette! I attached some photos of Gruyere and other areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
These pictures just got me pumped for the trip. Thank you!
Old 04-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Micahbo
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkripper View Post
Go to Murren, right up the road. The Interlaken area os my favorite place on earth. Where are you staying?

We are staying at the Victoria Grand Hotel.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
Ishi&Elvis
Six Point

I have only been to Lucerne, it is beautiful. Raclette! Yes! Take a boat trip on the lake and take the train/tram up Mt. Pilatus. Eat well, and enjoy.
Ishi&Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 10:11 AM   #12
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

Interlaken is absolutely amazing. Top-3 most beautiful places I've been on Planet Earth, and realistically probably #1.

We did a "canyoning" tour where they strap a helmet on you and you rappel, jump, and slide down this mountain river. Basically follow the stream from the top to the bottom, navigating it in different fashions including flat jumping off cliffs into deeper parts. That was absolutely fantastic and something most people do. We did a boat tour of the lakes that was kinda okay, but we were in our early 20s, so I'd probably appreciate it more now. Took in some dungeon like bars (I think Balmers hostel?) and chatted (drank) it up with a bunch of the Swiss military. The up mountain trains are definitely worth it as you get to hike around once you're on top and get amazing views of the Matterhorn, Jungfrau, etc.

Great area. I'm jealous.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #13
Throwin' Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
Interlaken is absolutely amazing. Top-3 most beautiful places I've been on Planet Earth, and realistically probably #1.

We did a "canyoning" tour where they strap a helmet on you and you rappel, jump, and slide down this mountain river. Basically follow the stream from the top to the bottom, navigating it in different fashions including flat jumping off cliffs into deeper parts. That was absolutely fantastic and something most people do. We did a boat tour of the lakes that was kinda okay, but we were in our early 20s, so I'd probably appreciate it more now. Took in some dungeon like bars (I think Balmers hostel?) and chatted (drank) it up with a bunch of the Swiss military. The up mountain trains are definitely worth it as you get to hike around once you're on top and get amazing views of the Matterhorn, Jungfrau, etc.

Great area. I'm jealous.

I went canyoning there as well and loved it. I also did a white water rafting trip and it was awesome. The water was mucho frio!
Throwin' Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-24-2018, 02:31 PM   #14
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

https://youtu.be/UFxqMPmxsDA

Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #15
Micahbo
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post

Great area. I'm jealous.
Do you think that someone should be in pretty good shape for this? I'm a bigger guy. That sounds fun though.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #16
JAB71
Four Point

Hunt In: Erath, Milam County

I have canyoned in switzerland as well. lots of fun it is illegal to canyon in the usa. so i suggest you give it a try

also visited Gimmewald. small town in mountains that is only accessible by gondola. you can hang out and look at the majestic mountain range and the jungfrau summit. This summit was in one of the James Bond movies where he was skiing down the mountain. go have a "heidi" its hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps and watch the sunset over the mountains. delicious
JAB71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-25-2018, 05:26 PM   #17
BrandonA
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills and Burnet County

How much , on average, did you guys spend to go?
BrandonA is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top