Purchasing a new recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing a new recurve

I want a new recurve. For bowfishing and hunting. I would really like one I can break down. I was looking on Hoyt's website, but I'm thinking those might be a little to nice for me. I'm thinking maneb I should just get on amazon and try to find me a Pse coyote or something along those lines? Any suggestions?

PSE has a metal take down recurve called the Kingfisher. I've heard metal ones like that are good because you don't have to worry about snaping a wooden limb if you step on it by accident. They're pretty cheap at about 120 I think.

Comment

PSE coyote or kingfisher will get the job done…especially for multipurpose uses

Comment

I bought a PSE mustang bow from BPS and it shoots well. I took my first deer with a recurve recently with it.

Comment

Check out 3 Rivers Archery.

Comment

Head on over to the Trad folder! Lots of local trad experts can steer you in the right direction.

As for the PSE Kingfisher, I had one of those. Decent bow, but it was fairly heavy in the hand, almost like a compound, and a bit loud upon release. But for bowfishing, it's good since it's cheap and won't matter if it gets wet. I think Academy or Cabelas used to sell a Kingfisher bowfishing kit with the bow, bowfishing roller rest, fiberglass arrow, etc. But when I googled about the Kingfisher, I read about a few who suffered broken limbs. Mine never broke and is still going strong with a buddy of mine who has it now.

Another option is the Samick Sage take-down recurve. It has a wooden riser, and it's inexpensive price means that you're not going to get the most polished, smooth riser, but a lot of trad beginners like them. I have both a right and left-hand riser with a few different weight limbs from 35# to 60#. It's lighter in the hand than the Kingfisher and remarkably accurate for it's price. Just like the Kingfisher, though, I've read from a few while doing a google search who've also suffered broken limbs and risers.

A promising option is one I read about in the stickbow.com trad forum where someone mixed a Samick Sage limbs with a different brand riser and remarked how good it shot. It became so popular that others on that forum who tried to order the combo from Lancaster Archery found that the riser and limbs had sold out. Unfortunately, I don't remember what brand and model riser it was, but I think it was some kind of poly-based riser? I could be wrong about that, but it seemed intriguing enough for me to want to try the combo myself.

Hope this helps and welcome to trad!

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards the coyote. My brother has one and I really like the way it shoots. Plus I think it will be a good all around beater. I can get one on amazon for under $300

Comment

Working...
              X