No announcement yet.

Which cartridge for elk hunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would most likely be packing the 7 Roy.

Comment

243 with 115bergers. That’s just me but going by your list, loving that 270! Since were making a pitch here, it’s time for some new rifles(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd go with the Weatherby, but if you just want a new gun for the occasion I'd buy a .338 Win Mag.

Comment

Negative on the 338win. If you need that kinda power, you ought to look into the 7mm (for this application and really, any critter) I don’t see how anyone would need a 338 for anything .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Of the choices you listed, the 7MM W is bar far the best choice.

Comment

Really interesting response - I'm glad I asked the green screen. Thanks!

I'd expected some votes for the 6.5x284, especially as it'll be my high falutin' rifle and really dialed in by that point. It's intended as the perfect axis gun so I'm not disappointed, just surprised.

I also expected more 300WM votes, especially since it would mean a new rifle.

So are the big 7's ( 7 WBY / 7 Rem Mag / 28 Nos / 280AI on the low side) the ideal elk cartridges in your minds, even better than the 300s?

Comment

Whatever one you shoot most accurately.

If a person can't handle the kick of a 7 mag, get a 308, or 7mm08. Many guys swear by this. I have been hunting elk with my 7 mag, and am going to a 308 this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

I'd expected some votes for the 6.5x284, especially as it'll be my high falutin' rifle and really dialed in by that point. It's intended as the perfect axis gun so I'm not disappointed, just surprised.

So are the big 7's ( 7 WBY / 7 Rem Mag / 28 Nos / 280AI on the low side) the ideal elk cartridges in your minds, even better than the 300s?
                  You could always go old school and get a 300 H&H in a pre '64 Winny.

Comment

Of the ones mentioned I'd use the 7mm, but would prefer the .300 Win Mag.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet half of the people that have commented haven't killed an elk I'd use the biggest option you have, they are very tough animals.

Comment

6.5 if that’s what you’re more comfortable with

Comment

270 imo. If your shipping it at 1300 yrds like Trophy8 then the 7mm.

Comment

you are missing a key factor here......provide the weight of each rifle option to this equation.

Comment

I grew up here in elk country. I would be willing to bet that more elk have been harvested by the 270 and 30-06 than any of the other calibers put together. You could probably throw in the 7mm in there as well. I have shot a number of elk in my earlier years with my 270 and a 130 grain bullet.
                              It was not until the growth in caliber choices that people started using other calibers available today. My only point is that the old school "stand by" big game calibers I mentioned above are plenty for elk.

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post

I built 2 long range hammers. A 300 and a 7 mag. I pick the 7. Running hot with a 180. Is go 300 win with a 200+ grain bullet but prefer the 8 due to the velocity increase and BC gain.

Comment

Working...
                                X