Species Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Species Question

Hey guys, I have a question for you guys who hunt exotics. I started outfitting several ranches out in west Texas and have found some strande species running some of these places. One of my Louisana hunters shot this this weekend up on a mountain top. It's certainly a goat but I'm not sure of it's species. Any ideas?

Of course I had to debone it and carry it off the mountain. Here the hunter is with the head.

Oh, here is a pic of what the landscape looks like when you are trying to locate game.

That's me looking at Rams on another mesa. Thanks for any info. CK

Great looking country Littlefeather. I am guessing West Texas. Looks kinda like the country around Sanderson.

Comment

LF, I am no expert on exotics but that looks like the spanish goats my buddy has living on his place in San Saba...they have been there for a long time and are VERY wild. I have only shot one and that was with a rifle. Anyway, I don't know official names but that is what we have always called them.

Comment

looks like a Catalina

Comment

I think we have a winner!...

Comment

actually i think it maybe a cross with a Boer (sp) goat and spanish goat.
            Welcome to the fire and great pics, looks like tuff hunting out there.

Comment

I am no goat hunting expert, but the country looks to provide a fun and challenging hunt.

Comment

I suppose it could be a Boer/Spanish cross. All I know is that he was big and really heavy. I deboned him for the client and carried the meat off the mesa. My legs were quivering by the time I got down.

This property is on the Pecos Rives south of Sanderson a ways.
                Here is a pic of a Catalina I shot out West awhile back while scouting ranches.

Here is a few more pics from this past weekend to show some different species running around those mesa's out there.

Thanks for the replies! CK

Comment

Looks like your hunters did real well.

Since you said it was a he, I guess my answer of "nanny goat" would be wrong.

Comment

I learned about 35yrs ago the best Goat to shoot was a 25lb Goat, they are the only ones that taste good.....

Comment

judging from the color and those big floppy ears my guess would be Nubian and spanish goat cross they're fairly common down in that part of the ranching world

Comment

How-do Mr. Kuykendall?

Comment

I shot one this year- It looks like the same type- Catilina is what I found out.

Comment

The first pic is a Spanish Goat. Call it a catalina, Muofon ,Or wilderbeast...But it is a Spanish Goat.........

Comment

If you pos tit on ATF, I bet aggiebowman can tell you! I understand that he is the TBH guru on goats....

Comment

Working...
                              X