Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Harvey Aftermath & Relief

Old 08-30-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria
Default Not a nightmare

Finally got to sleep a little and woke up and realized this is not a nightmare! This really happened and my house is really still underwater! I have so many questions.

What condition will a safe full of guns be in? Especially some with antique extreme sentimental value?

What about tools? I've got a lot of dewalt power tools? Will those dry out? Will they still be useable?

I have a mule that was completely submerged. Hopefully that won't be totaled!

The wife has multiple sewing machine in her sewing/quilting room! What about them?

I realize it's just stuff and can be replaced but it's our stuff. We lost it all but still better than a lot of folks! We are safe, warm, and dry and not in and not in a shelter! I wish it would get daylight!!!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 05:32 AM   #2
DeerGeek
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay Co.

Prayers for you, your family and your neighbors...
DeerGeek is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
doug
Ten Point

Reality....
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
doug
Ten Point

The worse thing is my parents are in their 80's and live across the street. They lost everything as well. I would have done anything to have kept them from this!
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
rwurz
Eight Point

Hunt In: In the bushes

Man I hate to see that. Prayers for you and your family.
rwurz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 06:39 AM   #6
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

You have been so gracious helping others over the years on TBH. Please let me know what I (and hopefully others) can do to help. My thoughts and prayers are with your family. Stay strong brother.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #7
Keith
Administrator

Prayers for you and your family.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
miket
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria

Man, I dont have any answers for you, as usual. But I am so sorry it got you too! What a nightmare! I know everyone says its just stuff, and it is, but its stuff accumulated for over a lifetime. Memories. Its cliche' but if you need anything let me know, for real. Call or text anytime, day or night.
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

damm it Doug, I hate seein this. Let me know what I can do
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #10
Charles
Pope & Young

Reading and seeing this breaks my heart.

Don't be shy in letting us know what we can do to help.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
BmacBmac1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sheridan Texas, SW Ohio

Prayers sent!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BmacBmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:30 AM   #12
BillyMac
Six Point

It's terrible. Prayers sent
BillyMac is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #13
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

Oh wow. So sorry to see this. You are not far from me. Please let me know if I can help with anything.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
quarterback
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Those pictures blow me away. And I am sure they are representative of what's going on in thousands of homes right now. Cleanup, recovery, restoration is gonna be monumental. I am so very sorry for all of the good people who have been affected by this monster storm.
quarterback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #15
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County
Default Not a nightmare

I hate this Doug.
Y'all are still in our prayers

Sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
doug
Ten Point

I appreciate it everybody! We will make it and are not as bad off as some people, i am very thankful for that!

The water is dropping quickly. All of us stayed in mom and dad's garage apartment last night. The tough part is going to be prying them away from here today. As soon as the water goes down enough I hope to get them downstairs to look at the damage. Thats going to be tough!!!

Things are looking up though, the water is dropping and the sun is shining! We also just got a wade in delivery of donuts and kolaches from my brother! I hope everybody else that is affected situation is looking up as well.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #17
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket View Post
Man, I dont have any answers for you, as usual. But I am so sorry it got you too! What a nightmare! I know everyone says its just stuff, and it is, but its stuff accumulated for over a lifetime. Memories. Its cliche' but if you need anything let me know, for real. Call or text anytime, day or night.
Thanks Mike! I really hope we still have a deer lease left! It would be nice to have a place to get away from this mess when I can. Hopefully you or somebody can get there and Check on it soon. I'm not really worried about the stands but hope the trailers are still okay
Old 08-30-2017, 10:10 AM   #18
hopedale
Ten Point

Hunt In: WMAs

doug,

My cousin had water just underneath the light switch in Katrina. So, just a little more then you.

I'll shoot him an email and see what he was able to salvage.

Where he was, the water drained out the same way it came in. Out the gaps in the holes in the leave.

I know several of his guns have had to be restored. He wasn't able to get to them for about 21 days, so they sat in the safe rusting.

I think once the water clears out, if you're able to get back in, I'd pull those out and clean up asap.

I know some of his power equipment, he and my Uncle rebuilt. But I'll have to check on the other power tools.

Prayer sent for you and your family.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #19
czechgrubworm
Pope & Young

Hunt In: West of Mertzon/Vance

I am so sorry.. just for purposes of knowing the area this is that is so devastated you posted pics .. where are you located?
czechgrubworm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
doug
Ten Point

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping it's not all ruined!

We live in Humble just north of houston
Old 08-30-2017, 10:24 AM   #21
Hot4huntin
Pope & Young

So sorry to hear this, Doug! Prayers sent your way! I am very glad that you and your family were able to find a dry place to wait it out.
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM   #22
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping it's not all ruined!

We live in Humble just north of houston
I have no real experience with this. But for the guns I personally would buy several 1 gal cans of WD40. Remove stocks, scopes etc, spray off all the crud with water ( assuming gthey are still wet ) then try to blow off/out as much water as possible then somehow completely submerge them in WD40. Of course, if you have time you could dissassemble them all and douse them in it and clean them right now, but I bet you have plenty of other things to do to take up your time right now.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #23
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

Prayers for you and your Parents, Doug. I can't imagine how this would be.
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 02:14 PM   #24
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Man that's just beyond horrible. What a nightmare.

I'm sure sorry your family has to go through this.

As for the guns:

- First, get a bunch of Rem-Oil or the equivalent with a bunch of clean, dry rags and several screwdrivers with various sized tips. Also rustle up Philips and Torx wrenches. Most scope mounts and bases take a T-15 Torx if they were recently manufactured.

- Remove the stocks from the metal.

- Remove the recoil pads, which are generally held on by two screws, top and bottom, through slits in the pad. Grease your screwdriver so you don’t tear the rubber on the pad. Also unscrew the sling swivel studs so there is no metal attached to the wood.
Bolt action rifles are held together by two or sometimes three screws going the trigger guard/bottom metal and these need to be carefully unscrewed so as not to burr them. (If you do burr them tell everyone your buddy did it.)

- Take the barred action and bottom metal out of the stock and remove the bolt from the action.

- Remove the scope, rings, and mounts from the top of the receiver. Make sure you look at the orientation of everything ( take a picture with your phone) so everything goes back in the same place.

- Set the stock aside to dry completely and disassemble the action and bolt as far as you feel comfortable with. If you have any questions please call me at the shop, I will be in and out -- my place took some water, and I am dragging stuff to the curb. My guns and ammo survived dry as I set them as high as I could, I guess this is a hint to me from the Lord that it is time to get some new furniture.

- Shotguns generally have the butt attached by a through-bolt you get to by removing the recoil pad. Some have a hex head on the stock bolt as well as a screwdriver slot. It is better to use a ratchet, socket and extension to remove these rather than a flathead screwdriver. If you use a socket, check to see if the hex head is inch or metric. If the gun is not made in the US, it is probably metric. Don’t forget to look to be sure there isn’t a screw or screws holding on the trigger guard on over/unders.

- Pumps and semi-autos generally have the trigger mechanism held in by one or two push pins through the receiver. These are meant to be pushed out, it doesn’t matter right-to-left or left-to-right. If you can, remove the bolt and slide. The fore-arm on pumps needs to be removed but you need a special spanner.
I will be happy to do it if you come by the shop, but call first, as I am in and out.

A word about WD-40. It will drive water off great but if you leave it on, the carrier will evaporate and leave a gummy residue which will bind up the mechanism if it is not removed. So if you do use it ,do so on a disassembled gun and either wipe or blow it off with compressed air. DO NOT USE WD-40 ON AMMO AS IT WILL KILL THE PRIMERS.

Clean the bore and chambers as if you had fired the gun. If the gun has a tubular magazine you need to clean it too or it will rust and seize up. Clean any magazine by disassembling it and oiling.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 03:52 PM   #25
doug
Ten Point

Thanks for the gun advice. I just got out for the first time and went to get cleaning stuff. Line was very long and they were only letting a few in at a time. Maybe tomorrow I can get supplies to do it. Water is down now and I'm going to try and get the guns and tools in a little bit.

Things are getting better but extremely overwhelming at this point! We are still in better shape than a lot of folks and i am thankful for that. We are praying for all affected and especially for the officers family and friends!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #26
JLivi1224
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Prayers for you and your family.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #27
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Dang Doug!! I was at my office this morning on Wilson at 1960 and when I drove by the church behind your house, I knew it was gonna be bad at your place... My buddy who used to live down on Dogwood (closer to the river than you), got a pic from his old neighbor... water was up to the eaves of their house there!! I just cannot imagine that much water! I am so sorry this happened to you! I'd be happy to help you with cleaning and restoring your guns. Just let me know.

Gives me that knot in the gut! Again, I'm so sorry!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 PM   #28
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Dang Doug!! I was at my office this morning on Wilson at 1960 and when I drove by the church behind your house, I knew it was gonna be bad at your place... My buddy who used to live down on Dogwood (closer to the river than you), got a pic from his old neighbor... water was up to the eaves of their house there!! I just cannot imagine that much water! I am so sorry this happened to you! I'd be happy to help you with cleaning and restoring your guns. Just let me know.

Gives me that knot in the gut! Again, I'm so sorry!
Thanks Charlie! I'm still in shock! The guns are a problem. They need help and I know I wont have the time or the equipment to deal with the it right now. Im not good at asking or accepting help but if you or somebody in the area wants to help with them ill take it. They arent fancy but they deserve to be saved. A couple of them are very important to me! My grandfather's guns from way back. I have albums of him with those guns and stuff he killed. Thankfully the pictures were on a high shelf.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #29
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Doug, you still have the same cell phone since you were such a big help to me and my family years ago? I'll be in humble in the morning... I'll come by and pick up your guns and get to work on 'em right away! Where are they located? You can PM me if you want...
We'll take care of this!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:09 PM   #30
doug
Ten Point

Exhausted but can't sleep. A few good things happened today!

I got my mom and dad over to my brothers. They are doing pretty good!

Found A few things at both houses that didn't get wet!

A TBH friend was able to check our lease in Victoria for damage and our trailers survived! Thanks again Glen!

I think another TBH'er is going to help me get my mule back in order. It was completely submerged!

Overall it was a positive day! The water is gone and real work start tomorrow! Now if i can just sleep!

Last edited by doug; 08-30-2017 at 10:14 PM..
Old 08-30-2017, 10:16 PM   #31
doug
Ten Point

Quote:
Doug, you still have the same cell phone since you were such a big help to me and my family years ago? I'll be in humble in the morning... I'll come by and pick up your guns and get to work on 'em right away! Where are they located? You can PM me if you want...
We'll take care of this!
Dang Charlie that would mean a lot to me and get rid of a worry! I will PM you!

What a wonderful way to end the day!!! I think now i can sleep!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:20 PM   #32
doug
Ten Point

Old 08-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #33
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Doug, if you can spray those guns down in about any kind of oil, it will help to inhibit the rust a bit... almost better to have left them under water where the air couldn't get at 'em for a while. I'll bring them to my shop tomorrow and get 'em protected from further damage right away.
Get some sleep!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #34
Froggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Public land

Quote:
Doug, if you can spray those guns down in about any kind of oil, it will help to inhibit the rust a bit... almost better to have left them under water where the air couldn't get at 'em for a while. I'll bring them to my shop tomorrow and get 'em protected from further damage right away.
Get some sleep!
This is what makes this site great. Hope to meet you someday SWSlick.
Froggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 10:51 PM   #35
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Frog, this is a drop in the bucket compared to what all Doug did for me and my family in a serious hour of need! I could never repay him enough...

But then, I've seen such amazing things happen right here on this green screen it's just so uplifting to see how REAL people with REAL hearts take care of one another!
Old 08-30-2017, 11:48 PM   #36
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba,TX

Prayers Up Doug & keep us posted if you need something. God Bless Your Family.
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 12:50 AM   #37
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Rocksprings

So sorry & hate to read this. I will keep your family in my thoughts & prayers
careybirdwell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 01:43 AM   #38
BmacBmac1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sheridan Texas, SW Ohio

Charlie is as good a people that walk this earth!!

BmacBmac1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 07:22 AM   #39
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

God Bless you and your family Doug. I just can't imagine having to deal with that type of situation. It looks so devastating. Prayers for everyone involved.

And Charlie....you are a good man.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 07:36 AM   #40
basskicker24
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe county/ Kinney county

Sending Prayers out to you and your family.
basskicker24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #41
Rwc
Ten Point

Doug, prayed for your family this morning and Charlie, you are top shelf my friend, yep... top shelf!

Rwc
Rwc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #42
doug
Ten Point

We are waiting in line at Wal-Mart that will open at 8. Feeling good though! We have an open store and I've got money and a truck to get home in! Thats a lot better than most folks! I'm so thankful we aren't in a shelter! Praying for those that are and all that are helping!
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #43
miket
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
Thanks Charlie! I'm still in shock! The guns are a problem. They need help and I know I wont have the time or the equipment to deal with the it right now. Im not good at asking or accepting help but if you or somebody in the area wants to help with them ill take it. They arent fancy but they deserve to be saved. A couple of them are very important to me! My grandfather's guns from way back. I have albums of him with those guns and stuff he killed. Thankfully the pictures were on a high shelf.
Just seeing your updates. Awesome for Charlie to help! Is there anything I can do? Charlie if you are overwhelmed with the guns let me know and I can help. Yall just tell me what needs to be done. Looks like Richard will be heading to the lease Fri or Sat, Im trying to get things in order so I can go with him.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:18 AM   #44
Kbar
Six Point

Doug / Mike T. If yall are oeff of Fleming Prarie , yall got some very strong winds.
I run some traps down in Cologne and off San Antoonio River Road. If yall need me to check on your stuff i acan when i am down there or I f yall need some help, let me know.
Kbar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 01:23 PM   #45
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Guns coming along nicely... some surface rust, but I think we got to 'em in time. Doug had a few really special heirloom guns of his grandfather's so I jumped on them first... Got one stuck screw on an old winchester, but it's mostly apart and all oiled down... taking a break to do a little office work duties... I think they will be fine!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #46
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

So sorry for everything you lost.
I am close, so please holler if I can help in any way.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #47
doug
Ten Point

Charlie is the man!!! I got a text with these pictures at 230 AM. He must have worked on them all day. Thank you so much Charlie.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #48
JLivi1224
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Awesome, Charlie. Man, I love this site. Great people around here!!
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #49
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Great job! I was going to suggest you get them to me and I'd do them but man Charlie has it going on.

Kudos.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #50
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Prayers for you and your folks, Doug! So sorry to see all this.

Kudos to Charlie, Glen and other TBH'ers stepping up to help!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top