Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Harvey Aftermath & Relief

Old 08-29-2017, 12:44 AM   #1
banzai
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Saba
Default Organized Plan: TBH helping TBH

I haven't seen it, so I'll try to start it. If I'm late, let's go with the first thread and delete this one.

Established TBH members have been hurt by the recent storm. We should help them with prayers, cash, household goods, and rebuilding labor and materials. I'd rather give directly to TBH Family than write check to the Red Cross that will vanish into a huge sink hole where the benefits are not clear.

We have the skills that will help those hurt by the storm and we want to contribute. I want to help TBH families directly, but that requires organization. We have people who can organize the individual efforts to maximum effectiveness (situation, mission, execution, administration, command and control). We also need a treasury to handle the cash donations with transparency and honest accounting. Good Christian Bowhunting Folks should be able to do this to the amazement of the World with ease since we can control this small process.

I'll be in for construction labor and Iíll bring tools and what materials I can, but we need to be organized for this to work. I can also pitch in on office admin work, too.

What do you think?
banzai is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
BrandonF
Six Point

I would be happy to help out too.

I think this would be a great idea if we could get it organized properly.
BrandonF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Make sure to PM an admin like Mary or Michael and see if we get the green light on this.

I would be willing to help where I can.
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
JLivi1224
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I'm in if this gets off the ground.
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
mmoses
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Ttt
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #6
Acameron52
Eight Point

Hunt In: Coleman

If I can get off work I'd be in. I've got multiple flatbed trailers that could haul whatever we need to down that way. Plus lots of tools. Keep us up to date!
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
quarterback
Pope & Young

Yes great idea. We have what, 70,000+ members here? Surely we can put together a powerful effort that helps meet the incredible needs of our fellow members and their families. I'm down as well. I have a tractor, couple trailers and various tools. Please include me on the help list.
quarterback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

I'm in. Tell me what is needed.
35remington is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
banzai
Eight Point

I sent a PM to Admin and Mary. Stand by.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #10
BrandonF
Six Point

I guess as flood water resides and people are able to get back into their homes, we would really need those TBH'ers that are affected to speak up and let us help. I think that might be the first step. Ive noticed that most of the time people don't want to ask for the help, but guys, there are a lot of us that want to help. I'm in Tyler area and have been unaffected. Let me and the others that are offering the help, help out.

So... if you were affected, please let us know and we can get some type of list together and a solid game plan together.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #11
JLivi1224
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acameron52 View Post
If I can get off work I'd be in. I've got multiple flatbed trailers that could haul whatever we need to down that way. Plus lots of tools. Keep us up to date!
I'll be headed back south asap once roads are open. I've got no trailer but will be looking to haul supplies back. If you're willing, I'll pull a trailer back!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 AM   #12
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai View Post
I sent a PM to Admin and Mary. Stand by.
If this gets going, count me in. I have no skills except dirt work, I'm 70 years old and wouldn't be worth spit at labor, but I can contribute $ to help out those in need or those that are helping those in need.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 AM   #13
nyuk x 3
Spike

I'm in for any labor. Transportation.
nyuk x 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

I'm subscribed. I'd like to do what I can. Don't know the condition of my house yet south side of Houston but if I'm in the clear when I can get there I'd like to help TBHr's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #15
Big Ace
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I Can

I'm in. Have some tools, a chainsaw, a truck and trailer.
Big Ace is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 03:53 PM   #16
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches Co. & NW Oklahoma

I'm willing to donate money or supplies as needed. We just need someone with the time and skill to organize this. I'd love to help out some fellow TBH'ers if possible.

I know there will be tons of money and supplies headed south but I'm always so leery about how much of the stuff ends up in the hands of the people who really need it. And I don't mean that the organizers or other people are stealing stuff or pocketing money, it's just that I've seen this first hand after working in our local shelters housing Katrina evacuees. Tons of donations flood in, some of it can't be used, doesn't get to the right people, isn't needed or maybe isn't needed by the time it was donated and it's just left sitting there. Eventually it gets donated to charity/Goodwill etc but I always think it's a waste since the person who donated those supplies wanted to help someone and in reality their donation was sort of wasted.

My gripe with these big relief organizations is that so much of the money donated goes to paying salaries or funding the operation. I know nothing is free, but I hate seeing hundreds of thousands or even millions of donated dollars never getting to the actual people in need.

I think y'all all know what I mean. I'd love to help and know my donations were going to help some good families from TBH.

- Jason
Outdoor Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #17
arjarhead
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: USA

I'm coming down from Northwest Arkansas. Anything that anyone needs that they might be out of down there (Besides fuel)that I can pickup for anyone? I'll bring whatever I can.
arjarhead is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #18
thorthunder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mainly Guide Now

I will volunteer to be the go to Auto Parts guy, and supply $ to the effort.......
thorthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #19
Easttxbowman
Six Point

Have jeep, boat and saws. Ready to go when needed.
Easttxbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #20
eagles405
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches

One of the first things that is going to need to happen is gutting carpet and walls of houses that flooded. It may be a good idea to get a list started of TBH members who's houses took on water and then we can set up another volunteers list to assist those members with that process and divide and conquer.
eagles405 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #21
EliteZ28Bow
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easttxbowman View Post
Have jeep, boat and saws. Ready to go when needed.
Where are you at? A buddy and I want to go up with my Blue Wave but cannot get straight talk about where to go and who to call!!??
EliteZ28Bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #22
BrandonF
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
We just need someone with the time and skill to organize this.
I'd be willing to take on the responsibility of making and keeping a list up to date of TBH'ers that need assistance. I can help coordinate with/between people that need help and the people that are helping. I think that its going to take the help of quite a few people doing this kind of thing over many many weeks.

I recognize the people that might have been effected the most are likely still displaced from their homes. If you know any of these guys lets keep them in mind as well. It might be weeks before they get on here and see these posts.

My cell phone number is 903-436-0243 if anyone wants to call or text me.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #23
TXHunter12
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles405 View Post
One of the first things that is going to need to happen is gutting carpet and walls of houses that flooded. It may be a good idea to get a list started of TBH members who's houses took on water and then we can set up another volunteers list to assist those members with that process and divide and conquer.
I was thinking this exactly. Mud out teams will be needed now real shortly.
It's much easier with a good team of 10.
TXHunter12 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #24
Irish_25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, Texas

I want to donate $ if we can get a fund set up for our TBH brothers and sisters affected by this storm.
Irish_25 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #25
BrandonF
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish_25 View Post
I want to donate $ if we can get a fund set up for our TBH brothers and sisters affected by this storm.

Anyone know the best way to get a fund set up to keep from having to loose any money from site fees or service fees?
Old 08-29-2017, 07:26 PM   #26
Irish_25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall, Texas

I bet it could be done thru the site. Maybe even do a special edition sticker for tbh hurricane relief. Donate some money, Get a sticker!

Another member started a thread with an idea for donations. I think he is on to something.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=659339

Last edited by Irish_25; 08-29-2017 at 07:56 PM..
Irish_25 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #27
banzai
Eight Point

I'm roughing out a 30,000 foot plan because it looks like lots of folks want to help in different ways, and we need to be organized to maximize the effectiveness of each contribution so the THB families that need help need get the maximum benefit.

Right now, in addition to BrandonF's request for ways to avoid transfer fees is exactly the way we should all be thinking. Help our people get what they need and minimize waste. We will also need a way to fund the troops on the ground that are helping, so they don't go into personal debt trying to work and help. They will need housing, food, and fuel. We need to find a support them.

We also need communication technology solutions that will allow us to plan, provide general information and updates, keep us in touch with the TBH boats and boots on the ground.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:01 PM   #28
hog smacker
Six Point

Hunt In: aransas pass, goliad, van

I live on 10 acres in Aransas Pass. All my barns are on the ground,boats are flipped over, trees are down and fences are damaged.

But I say that to say this...the house is ok enough and we are ok.

I don't need immediate help but I would be willing to let you guys store trailers, set up campers, or whatever will help those around me.
hog smacker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 08:28 PM   #29
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonF View Post
Anyone know the best way to get a fund set up to keep from having to loose any money from site fees or service fees?
PayPal FF should do the trick. I am willing to maintain the fund with full transparency. We can keep track of inflows and outflows in a dedicated thread. Someone from TBH admin may want to bless this before we proceed, but I'm in if it gets the green light.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #30
hogslayer78
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Augustine

I want to say thank you all for wanting to help us TBHer's here in Houston and down around Rock port and Aransas pass. This is what I love the most about TBH. When a need arises we all come together. I am here in North Houston area and was so fortunate not to flood but we are stranded from travel. Hopefully for just a couple more days. Y'all can count me in on this. I been wanting to get out and help already but we can't go anywhere right now. Once again thank you all so much!
Attached Images

hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #31
banzai
Eight Point

Hog Smacker, great offer! Let's see if my 4x4 Bronco with 4.88 gears and detroit lockers can pull harder than a two wheel drive big wheel farm tractor when we clean you place up. Beers and BBQ afterwards, of course.

I just spoke with BrandonF and he is building the list of those that have damage at their place. You just might be the first. The important thing is that the TBH folks in need get on BrandonF's list. Spread the word.

Many people want to help, so if you need help or know those in need, be willing to be helped. You will make a friend or ten. Who doesn't need a few more friends that are solid, introduce-them-to-your-parents quality, good people?

Those that want to help, and I am one, let's work together to ensure that waste is minimized and our dollars, time, and sweat is maximized in helping those in need. Waste and potential for theft is the most common reason for the lack of charity donations. We can prevent that, because we are honest people, as we have proven to each other over many years.

Personally, I want prioritize TBH families first, but I'm human so we'll all have to figure out how to stop helping and move on to the next TBH family on the list, if we can. That is one of many hard questions that we will have to answer during that next months.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 PM   #32
Kmart49
Ten Point

Hunt In: Callahan County/Stephens County

I can't help labor wise until next week but I'm certainly willing and able.

Besides labor and money, I have to imagine there will be a need for household items, baby/child items (clothes, bottles, pack and plays, toys, etc.). I have an excursion and access to bobtail trucks/tractor trailers.

If we can try and figure out a place to gather things, I'd be happy to help coordinate getting it all down south.

Either way, I'm in!
Kmart49 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 10:51 PM   #33
Kmart49
Ten Point

I have 2 buddies that are currently in Waco. They have been accepting pallets of water and other goods for flood victims. Their plan is to bring a trailer down Thursday. Where should they go? Where is it needed? Where can they take it to benefit TBHers and others?

If anyone can give specific locations that are accessible that would be helpful.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:45 AM   #34
banzai
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart49 View Post
I have 2 buddies that are currently in Waco. They have been accepting pallets of water and other goods for flood victims. Their plan is to bring a trailer down Thursday. Where should they go? Where is it needed? Where can they take it to benefit TBHers and others?

If anyone can give specific locations that are accessible that would be helpful.
This what BrandonF is working on setting up. This shows how critical each step of the coordination is.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #35
ultralite09
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Childress, Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart49 View Post

Buddy of mine just took a load last night to montgomery. They even had forklifts there to unload.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
ultralite09 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 10:18 AM   #36
Kmart49
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralite09 View Post
Buddy of mine just took a load last night to montgomery. They even had forklifts there to unload.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks! I passed this on to the guys in Waco.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:07 AM   #37
El Forajido
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any Tree stand in Texas ✭

My son and I are willing to help out as extra hands. Though I don't have the means monetarily. Muscle, elbow grease, and God's Strength will get it done. When I ain't working we'll be there. I have noticed in the time of need how TBH brothers and sisters come together and help each other out. That's a beautiful thing. Thank y'all! As well thanks to all our Cajun neighbors to the east of us, for coming out in force and throwing out a line. God bless y'all and we got your back.

Say the word we're in!
El Forajido is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #38
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
PayPal FF should do the trick. I am willing to maintain the fund with full transparency. We can keep track of inflows and outflows in a dedicated thread. Someone from TBH admin may want to bless this before we proceed, but I'm in if it gets the green light.
I will vouch for 35rem. I've done a lot of business with him over the years and know him well. He's an upstanding guy, honest as the day is long.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #39
Mary
Administrator

Please hang tight...we are discussing options within TBH.
Mary is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #40
Cajun shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oakwood

Standing by to hear what's needed. I just made it back to my house and I only have minor wetness. Not even going to call it flooding. I've worked pretty much all day today drying things out and it looks like everything is going to be okay.

Here's what I'm thinking. What I do best is my job. I will be back at work next week making money again and I would be happy to share pretty generously what I earn. I could take time away from work and help out physically but I think I can contribute more monetarily. As soon as we can get an account set up where the monies can be accounted for I'm ready to put money in.

Say the word.

Cajun shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 07:00 PM   #41
TXSTBowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: Llano, Lockhart and anywhere else I can

I am ready to go whenever and wherever I'm needed. I am a college senior with good relationships with my professors and have been given the green light to go anywhere to help.

I have a background in construction and am in school for construction management now and am not afraid of real, hard, work

feel free to text or PM

Will
512-743-0332

Last edited by TXSTBowhunter; 08-30-2017 at 07:06 PM..
TXSTBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 PM   #42
JLivi1224
Eight Point

God bless you all ready to help! We are in this together!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #43
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton

I don't have much money but I will donate sweat and hard work to anyone that needs help.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:45 PM   #44
ChiroHuntR
Four Point

Hunt In: Rookie- still looking!

I can't help you guys b/c i moved back south I could lend a hand with construction as well if I was there. I'm willing to donate a few bucks though. Lmk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChiroHuntR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #45
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
I will vouch for 35rem. I've done a lot of business with him over the years and know him well. He's an upstanding guy, honest as the day is long.
It looks like TBH is going to handle the funds, which I agree is the best way.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #46
BrandonF
Six Point

If you are able to help, please see this post.

There are already a number of family members asking for assistance.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=659691
Old 08-31-2017, 06:41 PM   #47
BrandonF
Six Point

Anyone available to help tomorrow or this weekend?

I'll be headed down from Tyler on Sunday morning with 4 other people to help clean out and do flood cuts on one members home in Kingwood.

I know there are quite a few other people that could some helping hands tomorrow and Saturday.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 PM   #48
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington
It looks like TBH is going to handle the funds, which I agree is the best way.

Even better.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:52 PM   #49
BrandonF
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Please hang tight...we are discussing options within TBH.
Hi Mary, any consensus from the staff yet on monetary donations? Where to send or how will they will be distributed?
Old 08-31-2017, 08:18 PM   #50
Outdoor Legacy
Ten Point

Would anyone be interested in maybe a raffle fundraiser? Is that something TBH would allow? I'd be willing to provide a couple really nice NV scopes. Although I couldn't foot the whole bill for giving away the NV scopes, I could get them at cost and we could probably raise some decent money for the cause.

Just a thought....