Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 08-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas
Default this just in...

..consider the source...but its been confirmed elsewhere as well..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.4ca21fc9c604
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

idiot
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hondo,Tx / Oklahoma

Its confirmed. Time for 25 year old Andrew to learn there are consequences for your actions.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #4
Traildust
Pope & Young

Wearing a Texans jersey, surfing a bowhunting website. .....
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #5
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Lol! Now wouldn't that be something.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #6
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rusk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by traildust View Post
wearing a texans jersey, surfing a bowhunting website. .....
roflmao
AZST_bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

I read this on drudge, this aint the first time he's run into the law while playing with explosives....but, just so its out there he is a right winger................
Old 08-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #8
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Very awesome story behind that Lt. He was a famous Artillery man and officer. He practiced from up top a bluff and would shoot targets out of the river. So when the Union flotilla decided they were going to come up the Sabine it was fish in a barrel. He just decimated them one by one.

To negotiate Sabine Pass all vessels except small boats took one of the two river channels, both of about 5 feet (1.5 meters) depth and one on each side of the Pass. These channels were separated by naturally formed "oyster-banks" known to be barely two feet (0.60 meter) under the surface. No seagoing ship could traverse the Pass without great risk of going aground, if it did not follow one of the channels. The inevitable course of any steam-powered warship—including shallow-draft gunboats then common to the U.S. Navy—would necessarily use one of the channels, both of which were within fair range of the fort's six smoothbores.

Dowling spent the summer of 1863 at the earthen fort instructing his men in gunnery. To mark the optimum distance and elevation for each of the guns, he implemented the technique of setting long slender poles (painted white, in this instance) in both channels at several places. This was an old method for guiding boats and, especially since the advent of firearms, to mark an aiming points for guns.

On September 8, 1863 a Union Navy flotilla of some 22 gunboats and transports with 5,000 men accompanied by cavalry and artillery arrived off the mouth of Sabine Pass. The plan of invasion was sound, but monumentally mismanaged. Four of the flanking gunboats were to steam up the pass at speed and draw the fire of the fort, two in each channel, a tactic which had been used successfully in subduing the defensive fortifications of Mobile and New Orleans prior to this, when gunboats disabled the forts at close range with their own guns. This time, though, Dowling's artillery drills paid off as the Confederates poured a rapid and withering fire onto the incoming gunboats, scoring several direct hits, disabling and capturing two, while the others retreated in disarray. The rest of the flotilla retreated from the mouth of the pass and returned ignominiously to New Orleans, leaving the disabled ships with no option but to surrender to Dowling. With a command of just 47 men, Lieut. Dowling had thwarted an attempted invasion of Texas, in the process capturing two gunboats, some 350 prisoners and a large quantity of supplies and munitions.[4]

The Confederate government offered its gratitude and admiration to Dowling, now promoted to Major, and his unit, as a result of their battlefield prowess[5] . In gratitude, the ladies of Houston presented the unit with specially struck medals.[6] The medals were actually Mexican eight reale coins with both faces sanded down and with new information carved into them. They were inscribed "Sabine Pass, 1864" on one side, and had a Maltese Cross with the letters D and G on the other.[7] Because of the official recognition given to the action, it is now accepted that these Davis Guard Medals are the only medals of honor issued by the Confederate government, and consequently are collector's items today.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

That guy just likes to blow stuff and and is looking for a reason to do so. Next Ted Kaczynski type. But you have thought he would have known nitroglycerin is t all that paletable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
I read this on drudge, this aint the first time he's run into the law while playing with explosives....but, just so its out there he is a right winger................
Where do you see he is a right winger? Seems more of an anarchist
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #10
AZST_bowhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
That guy just likes to blow stuff and and is looking for a reason to do so. Next Ted Kaczynski type. But you have thought he would have known nitroglycerin is t all that paletable.

Where do you see he is a right winger? Seems more of an anarchist
I was joking, just waitin for it to come out from msm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #11
Maddox
Ten Point

1) His parents are "artist"
2) He lives with his parents in Rice Village
3) He went to UT.

I seriously doubt this guy is a right winger.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #12
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hondo,Tx / Oklahoma

I was going to say this dudes batting for the wrong team if he's a right winger
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #13
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Prosecute to the full extent of the law pleeeeeese!!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #14
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

A few streets over from my office in Rice Village. They had that place locked the F down.
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Williamson,Coryell, Bell

He drank nitroglycerin ....maybe they should have let him run for it
10132297 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #16
Death from Above
Pope & Young

Robert E Lee high school in tyler texas is up for a name vhange according to the news
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #17
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

Robert E. Lee Drive in Austin must be soon to go. Oh, wait...it's in super-uppity Liberal Land. I bet they don't say sheeeeeeeeeeeit.
Livin'2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #18
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #19
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

What in the heck is going on? Good God how long have these statues existed? The Civil War has been over for a while now ain't it? How are they just now causing trouble?

Go ahead and blow the nose off the Crazy Horse monument while they're at it. I don't like that. My grandpa had a lot of Indian blood in him and it makes me sad because it reminds me of the struggle Native Americans went through. My grandpa was a truck driver but still.....You see what I'm saying? Makes sense doesn't it? No not really? My grandpa struggled as a truck driver because he was an alcoholic.....make sense now? Well alright then guess just forget about it. None of this statue stuff makes any sense whatsoever.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #20
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
Robert E. Lee Drive in Austin must be soon to go. Oh, wait...it's in super-uppity Liberal Land. I bet they don't say sheeeeeeeeeeeit.
You'd think they might consider renaming their town too. After all : "Stephen F. Austin made this clear in 1824: “The principal product that will elevate us from poverty is cotton,” he wrote, “and we cannot do this without the help of slaves.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
What in the heck is going on? Good God how long have these statues existed? The Civil War has been over for a while now ain't it? How are they just now causing trouble?

Go ahead and blow the nose off the Crazy Horse monument while they're at it. I don't like that. My grandpa had a lot of Indian blood in him and it makes me sad because it reminds me of the struggle Native Americans went through. My grandpa was a truck driver but still.....You see what I'm saying? Makes sense doesn't it? No not really? My grandpa struggled as a truck driver because he was an alcoholic.....make sense now? Well alright then guess just forget about it. None of this statue stuff makes any sense whatsoever.
Most of these statues were erected in the late 1950's and 1960's after CONGRESS voted to recognize Confederate soldiers as veterans of the US armed forces
Playa is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #21
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit
Default This pretty much sums it up...

Attached Images

Livin'2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #22
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Yeah, history is a little bit lacking. They want to blame slavery on the southerners but the truth is Slavery was here long before Europeans arrived. Native Americans were practicing slavery for centuries before. They were actually the first people to capture and sell other Indians as slaves for the rich Europeans. Of course nothing is ever said about that. For the leftists there is always that double standard. I guess once all the confederate monuments are gone they will go after the Native American monuments.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaver..._United_States
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-22-2017, 10:14 PM   #23
systemnt
Pope & Young

Old 08-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #24
Horn chaser
Ten Point

That guy graduated from Austin College in Sherman with a Chemistry degree after he was arrested by the FBI for having chemicals to make nerve gas in his dorm room. How the heck was he allowed to go back and get a degree there after that?
Horn chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #25
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily
Default this just in...

Nevermind

Last edited by meltingfeather; 08-23-2017 at 06:17 AM..
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #26
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

I heard this morning and disclaimer, I have not been able to verify this but, the parents have been identified as being in the "arts" and living in Rice Village. From the maiden name it appears that the mom's side of the family is the same family that donated and maintains the Menil Collection in Houston. So basically big money gets the boy off the hook. Imagine if that bomb went off in Herman Park while children were playing or a woman has her child in a stroller. Hang em high.
J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2017, 07:43 AM   #27
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

All I need to know about him.......

Schneck told police he had other chemicals at his Houston home. On Monday, houses located near Schneck’s home were evacuated as authorities worked to dispose of materials found in his home, where he lives with this mother.
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2017, 08:10 PM   #28
systemnt
Pope & Young

Old 08-24-2017, 04:03 AM   #29
Bill M
Pope & Young

Was leaving for the Astros game from the Wyndam Hotel at Holcombe and Main Monday evening and saw the LEO helo hovering overhead toward Rice Village. Learned why the next morning since I didn't watch the evening news.

Side note: Bobby you have quite a daily commute.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #30
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
AND -----------4 of his 5 slaves were white.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Johnson_(colonist)
muzzlebrake is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 AM   #31
Lostacresranch
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
You'd think they might consider renaming their town too. After all : "Stephen F. Austin made this clear in 1824: “The principal product that will elevate us from poverty is cotton,” he wrote, “and we cannot do this without the help of slaves.”

Most of these statues were erected in the late 1950's and 1960's after CONGRESS voted to recognize Confederate soldiers as veterans of the US armed forces

That's correct. And in the 50s and 60s, many of the battlefields became the property of the national park service to preserve them from development. Hundreds went up in that time frame as cemetery and battlefield markers. I've argued with twits that say the statues were put up as a white supremisist move to promote segregation. That's BS. When these battle fields became national monuments, the government put up statues. To both sides.
Lostacresranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top