Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 03-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #201
TEXophilite7
Eight Point

Hunt In: North America, Africa

Good stuff! Thanks for the demonstration!
TEXophilite7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #202
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Hunt In: RGV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtechlady View Post
I pulled out #1 and put number 2 in the soak. The only thing I noticed is it looks like on #1 the high part of the skull between the base of the horns may not have got enough peroxide on it but I am going to let it dry and check it. What is the trick to getting the skull completely covered with peroxide without getting the antlers in the peroxide. i used some terry strips saturated and thought it would work.

I used the liquid peroxide from Sally's but I did not do the paste method. Any suggestions?
I think the paste method may help out a bit, I haven't tried it yet. I have one that I'm waiting to bleach myself with the liquid peroxide. This thread is getting me motivated to get started on it. I've had the skull for a little over a year now
RAGUIRREJR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #203
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

Interesting. Fermenting Deer Skulls. I boiled mine this year. When I did, I removed alot of the cartilage in the nasal cavaty when scraping/picking. I don't mind those not being there in the final product. There are like a billion little holes and stuff that hold tissue in these things. (like for instance a 3" long tube just above the teeth, etc.) I'm not sure that I'd feel comfortable with all of those having been reached within just a few weeks of letting it sit like this. At least with beatles you know nothing is there when they stop eating....

Do you guys/gals at least do a smell test? After I am done boiling and degreasing, I just set it out and wait to see if it starts to smell and then try to find any missing peices of tissue before finally mounting to a plaque. One my first one, I thought I was done, it looked great, I set it out and about 2 days later I could get a whiff of something off, and sure enough, I found a bit of tissue in a channel just above the teeth.
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #204
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco County, Gillespie County, Polk County

Here is #1 on a 24 hour soak in peroxide. I think it turned out pretty good for my first one.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363915237.467229.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  80.7 KB

I have #2 in the peroxide soak now
Bowtechlady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #205
Coach W
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Dickens, Kent

Sweet!

Im gonna do the peroxide paste from sally's... My mom was headed there there other day and picked it up for me.
So i dodged the Nancy stare.

Im waiting on my black buck to finish before i do both the bb and wt... The wt is currently on my gun bench inside and doesn't stink at all... My pregnant wife would sure tell me about it if it was.
Coach W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #206
Blue Tick
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Crockett Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach W View Post
Sweet!

Im gonna do the peroxide paste from sally's... My mom was headed there there other day and picked it up for me.
So i dodged the Nancy stare.

Im waiting on my black buck to finish before i do both the bb and wt... The wt is currently on my gun bench inside and doesn't stink at all... My pregnant wife would sure tell me about it if it was.
How's that BB coming along?
Blue Tick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #207
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
Here is #1 on a 24 hour soak in peroxide. I think it turned out pretty good for my first one.

Attachment 472546

I have #2 in the peroxide soak now
Came out looking great!!! Good job
Old 03-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #208
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Here is number 2

Attachment 475709

This one was the easier of the two because I had added the aquarium heater at this point. It was ready pretty quickly. I am pleased with final product

Last edited by Bowtechlady; 07-12-2017 at 02:02 AM..
Old 03-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #209
Crazy Horse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Utopia & Hallettsville

has anyone done this process with a ram or aoudad?
Crazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #210
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tick View Post
How's that BB coming along?
Is in the container at the house.... water and rid x mixture with 2 aquarium heaters and a heat lamp.

I checked it before i headed out yesterday. Had a little bit of meat on it still. The hide and bottom jaw have come off. Just some fleshy stuff around the mouth left.... And the horns have yet to budge.

I may be throwing it in the trash bag soon to see if i can get the horns to move... I think the water is swelling the bone abit not allowing for the horns to come off... I put on a pair of gloves and gave her the ole college try friday... But no movement. Forgot how yummy it smelt till it was in my hands.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #211
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Quote:
Is in the container at the house.... water and rid x mixture with 2 aquarium heaters and a heat lamp.

I checked it before i headed out yesterday. Had a little bit of meat on it still. The hide and bottom jaw have come off. Just some fleshy stuff around the mouth left.... And the horns have yet to budge.

I may be throwing it in the trash bag soon to see if i can get the horns to move... I think the water is swelling the bone abit not allowing for the horns to come off... I put on a pair of gloves and gave her the ole college try friday... But no movement. Forgot how yummy it smelt till it was in my hands.

Any suggestions?
No help here but can't wait to see him finished

Yes I bet the bones are more swollen with moisture content. I wonder if once it dries it will come out
Old 03-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #212
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Here is number 2

Attachment 475709

This one was the easier of the two because I had added the aquarium heater at this point. It was ready pretty quickly. I am pleased with final product
That looks great! Hopefully once i get this BB all figured out mine will be that white and purty.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #213
robbyayala
Ten Point

Hunt In: LaSalle County, Colorado, Manitoba

Looks good
robbyayala is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #214
Coach W
Banned!!!

Most of the meat is off the bone now... but I still cant get the horns to budge... maybe a 1/4" but not off.

I tried when it was all wet... Then I tried after it was dried... NADA

Anymore advice? gotta get these things off so I can move forward with it.

Thanks
Old 05-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #215
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
Most of the meat is off the bone now... but I still cant get the horns to budge... maybe a 1/4" but not off.

I tried when it was all wet... Then I tried after it was dried... NADA

Anymore advice? gotta get these things off so I can move forward with it.

Thanks
Why u taking the horns off?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #216
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGUIRREJR View Post
Why u taking the horns off?
If you don't remove the horns and clean the I side it will get pretty ripe.
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #217
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
If you don't remove the horns and clean the I side it will get pretty ripe.
Inside of the horns? I've never heard that before. Is this just for BB?
Old 05-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #218
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Black buck, sheep, etc...
Old 05-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #219
TexAg2002
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

Quote:
I think this is pretty much all animals with horns and not antlers. Right?
TexAg2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #220
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that
Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #221
Coach W
Banned!!!

Well some time has passed so I will admit to being a hothead.

After getting a bunch of help and advice on the blackbuck euro from great TBH'ers I failed miserably. I tried everything and finally got one horn off. It took some excessive force and a pair of channel locks... But it did come off.

The other wouldn't budge... I left it out in the sun to dry, put it in a black bag, tried to oil it up... Nothing was working... I took a hacksaw blade to the base I thought was catching a tad... Still nada. This went on for weeks. Seriously... Weeks.

I finally went to my last resort.... Rubber mallet to free it up... A few taps nada, harder, nada, harder and crack... ****it I broke the nose. It was probably fixable with some diligent gluing... But the horn was still stuck... I had other projects piling up because I got consumed with this black buck.... And I lost it.. Knowing I had failed... Knowing I tried so hard, and spent this much time with it... With each thought I grew madder.

I started to think of all the other projects that were setting back burner waiting for me to finish this one... I thought well it's either coming off or I'm destroying it. As my patience had worn out. A few more pretty good hits with the mallet and the nose came all the way off. Pedestal around the horn was cracking... I lost it.

Screw it. I walk to the nearest tree hold the one remaining, unmovable, god glued on horn, reached back and gave her one good home run swing into the tree... Parts everywhere... I'm talking lil pieces...

I look in the horn I'm still holding and find the pedestal broke off 1" in and the bone is still in it... Still didn't freaking budge!!! Lol. Oh well. Next time I will know to leave that already dead black buck on the ground and just snap a pic for memory sake.

Lol. Maybe someday I will actually get to shoot an exotic and when that day comes I'm taking it to bro sigs in midland and getting an impressive shoulder mount!!!

Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry I don't have success pics! I will bleach my deer skull (a project the bb was holding up) soon and post it up here.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #222
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Quote:
Well some time has passed so I will admit to being a hothead.

After getting a bunch of help and advice on the blackbuck euro from great TBH'ers I failed miserably. I tried everything and finally got one horn off. It took some excessive force and a pair of channel locks... But it did come off.

The other wouldn't budge... I left it out in the sun to dry, put it in a black bag, tried to oil it up... Nothing was working... I took a hacksaw blade to the base I thought was catching a tad... Still nada. This went on for weeks. Seriously... Weeks.

I finally went to my last resort.... Rubber mallet to free it up... A few taps nada, harder, nada, harder and crack... ****it I broke the nose. It was probably fixable with some diligent gluing... But the horn was still stuck... I had other projects piling up because I got consumed with this black buck.... And I lost it.. Knowing I had failed... Knowing I tried so hard, and spent this much time with it... With each thought I grew madder.

I started to think of all the other projects that were setting back burner waiting for me to finish this one... I thought well it's either coming off or I'm destroying it. As my patience had worn out. A few more pretty good hits with the mallet and the nose came all the way off. Pedestal around the horn was cracking... I lost it.

Screw it. I walk to the nearest tree hold the one remaining, unmovable, god glued on horn, reached back and gave her one good home run swing into the tree... Parts everywhere... I'm talking lil pieces...

I look in the horn I'm still holding and find the pedestal broke off 1" in and the bone is still in it... Still didn't freaking budge!!! Lol. Oh well. Next time I will know to leave that already dead black buck on the ground and just snap a pic for memory sake.

Lol. Maybe someday I will actually get to shoot an exotic and when that day comes I'm taking it to bro sigs in midland and getting an impressive shoulder mount!!!

Thanks for all the help guys! Sorry I don't have success pics! I will bleach my deer skull (a project the bb was holding up) soon and post it up here.
Sorry it ended that way but you educated me and everyone else on them. I had no idea you had to go through all that! We all feel your frustration. I will stick to WT and axis or sikas. You gave it a great try but would like to know how a professional would have done differently. Is this common with a BB? How on earth would you avoid it?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 AM   #223
Ca$ey
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb co. Wilson co.

Wow I've always soaked them in water for a few days and just gave em a good twist and they have always just broke free. Some harder than others but never had one not come off.
Ca$ey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #224
cy100
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I did the same steps as Ca$ey, soaked the skull in water, and few days later, you can get the horns off. The disadvantage is that the horns are stink. Took me more time and efforts to get rid of that smell. But you can still smell it from very close. Someone knows how to clean the horns after they come off?

Here is how it looks like (a small blackbuck from one friend's ranch).
Attached Images

Last edited by cy100; 06-12-2013 at 01:11 PM..
cy100 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #225
cy100
Four Point

I am very glad to find this thread. Got some new ideas to improve my method. I didn't use Rid-x before, just pure water. So it takes various length of time to complete, may depend on the temperature I guess. Next time, I will add some rid-x, hope it will speed up the process.

I would add two more steps to this procedure (I didn't read every past replies, so excuse me if they are redundant).

A) I would use all-purpose glue to bind loosen teeth and/or bones. All-purpose glue will be invisible after dry.
B) After the mount is full dry, I would pray a light coat by dull or semi-glossy clear finish. This will give a protection and easy to clean.

I accidentally picked this skull from a wild place, and made my first Euro mount.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #226
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy100 View Post
I did the same steps as Ca$ey, soaked the skull in water, and few days later, you can get the horns off. The disadvantage is that the horns are stink. Took me more time and efforts to get rid of that smell. But you can still smell it from very close. Someone knows how to clean the horns after they come off?

Here is how it looks like (a small blackbuck from one friend's ranch).
Nice!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #227
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
I am very glad to find this thread. Got some new ideas to improve my method. I didn't use Rid-x before, just pure water. So it takes various length of time to complete, may depend on the temperature I guess. Next time, I will add some rid-x, hope it will speed up the process.

I would add two more steps to this procedure (I didn't read every past replies, so excuse me if they are redundant).

A) I would use all-purpose glue to bind loosen teeth and/or bones. All-purpose glue will be invisible after dry.
B) After the mount is full dry, I would pray a light coat by dull or semi-glossy clear finish. This will give a protection and easy to clean.

I accidentally picked this skull from a wild place, and made my first Euro mount.
You spray just the skull or skull & antlers???
Old 06-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #228
cy100
Four Point

Quote:
You spray just the skull or skull & antlers???
Just the skull.

But, I did spray the horns of that blackbuck to make it a little bit shiny

Last edited by cy100; 06-12-2013 at 04:59 PM..
Old 06-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #229
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
Just the skull.

But, I did spray the horns of that blackbuck to make it a little bit shiny

Thanks
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #230
msubaseball31
Eight Point

Hunt In: Broken Arrow Ranch Whitetails

Very helpful
msubaseball31 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #231
Coach W
Banned!!!

Ok since the BB is a gonner I started the whitening process with the mixture of sallys beauty supply products. It made a great paste.

Then i saran wrapped it. And plan on waiting 24 hours.

Only question... Do i need to set it in the, sun?
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #232
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

I think the H2O2 should be enough without the sun. I could be wrong.......
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #233
Coach W
Banned!!!

Sweet. I think it looks good.

I think I may try to darken up the horns a bit tomorrow... Seems they got a little washed out on me.
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #234
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
Sweet. I think it looks good.

I think I may try to darken up the horns a bit tomorrow... Seems they got a little washed out on me.
So did you set it out in the sun or just the H2O2?
Old 07-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #235
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Finished products #1 and #2

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372990230.608353.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  75.9 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372990247.082154.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  66.3 KB

I just have the axis buck now to finish here shortly
Old 12-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #236
BigThicketBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hardin Co

Goin to do this.Tthanks
BigThicketBoy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2013, 02:20 AM   #237
lotsofshots
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise County

Thanks for bringing this to the top. I've had a skull soaking in just water for the last month and now it a frozen block of nastiness! Supposed to be 12 degrees at sunup here at sunup!

After it gets above freezing outside I'm buying an aquarium heater and some RidX to finish it off.
lotsofshots is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #238
Coach W
Banned!!!

Just put the sally beauty supply peroxide paste on a turkey skull... Anybody know how long to leave it on a small animal? The same 24 hours?
Old 01-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #239
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Just found this thread. Shot an 8 point at the end of November, cut the head off and hung it up hoping to do something with it. I remembered 2 weeks later and stuck it in a bucket of water. It's been there 2 weeks. After reading this thread, I stole some rid-ex from under the sink and put some in the bucket. I will check on it in a few weeks. At least haven't hurt anything by being neglectful.
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #240
tduck78
Ten Point

Hunt In: Meridian tx

All look good
tduck78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2014, 11:30 PM   #241
Fergeris
Ten Point

Man this is an awesome thread learned a lot. I have several skulls I need to do but haven't had to time to boil
Fergeris is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #242
locknload
Ten Point

Hunt In: Throckmorton, Hamilton Counties

I will try water maceration next time. Boiling method is good because it eliminates any smells. Maceration without water stinks up your backyard and attracts all kinds of critters.

Will the Satin Polyurethane work? I am having a hard time finding a no gloss (flat) Polyurethane.

Which polyurethane works best for ya'll without bone discoloration?
locknload is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #243
Coach W
Banned!!!

I just threw a fox skull in the stew today.

We will see how it goes. I boiled a badger skull the other day to save time... and was unimpressed.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #244
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

I finished another today

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392673293.294165.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  170.9 KB
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 PM   #245
CoolArrow
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr county

Guys I checked my skull that's been in water and rid -x for little over a month. Most if it is clean except some of the brain stuff in the skull and some stuff in the eye sockets. Should I remove and pick/ cut this stuff out or let it sit in water a week more?

Thanks
CoolArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #246
CoolArrow
Ten Point

Hello. Anyone there. Can u hear me now?
Old 03-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #247
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolArrow View Post
Hello. Anyone there. Can u hear me now?
No idea Man. I put an 8 point in Ridex around the middle of January (hide and all) and an axis just over 4 weeks ago. I put them in buckets inside black trash bags but it can still smell them every time I go to the barn . I'm scared to open the bags and check on them !
Witchgrass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #248
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchgrass View Post
No idea Man. I put an 8 point in Ridex around the middle of January (hide and all) and an axis just over 4 weeks ago. I put them in buckets inside black trash bags but it can still smell them every time I go to the barn . I'm scared to open the bags and check on them !
I've always removed the hide, eyes, brain, and as much meat as possible and the smell is unbearable. I can't even imagine what it must smell like with the hide and everything else rotting away.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #249
CoolArrow
Ten Point

[ATTACH]607757

I took skull out of bucket today and removed a few pieces of membrane , rinsed it and putting peroxide bleach tomorrow. Hope it comes out as nice as y'all. Awesome thread . Thanks for posting
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #250
RAGUIRREJR
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolArrow View Post
[ATTACH]607757

I took skull out of bucket today and removed a few pieces of membrane , rinsed it and putting peroxide bleach tomorrow. Hope it comes out as nice as y'all. Awesome thread . Thanks for posting
Looks good!