Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 10-31-2012, 05:54 PM   #51
Wes Chaney
Six Point

Hunt In: Victoria tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishanhunt View Post
I'm going to have to try this method. Does it matter if it's the dry Rid-x or the Liquid rid-X ?
I use dry, but it shouldn't matter it's the same bacteria in either one. You don't have to use rid-x at all, but it does speed up the process.
Wes Chaney is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #52
whitetailslayer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Segovia and other parts of Texas

Some of you had asked about whitening. Go to a sally's beauty supply and pick up some Volume 40 cream and whitening powder. The powder should come with a little cup inside. Mix one cup and some cream to a milk shake consistency. Smells like ammonia. Liberally coat your skull and let sit over night. ( Don't get any on the antlers)
whitetailslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #53
Wes Chaney
Six Point

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351828239.959980.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  79.8 KBhere it is now sitting in the dawn dish soap and water. I'll take it out Saturday morning when I get off work to let it dry out, then on to whitening it. After that all that's left is making a plaque and hanging it on the wall
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #54
CamoQuest
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robertson County

I just finished boiling and cleaning off my son's deer head, but I have a boar head that I may try this method with. It still has some dried hide/hair on it, and I'm not too keen on putting that in my stock pot!
CamoQuest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #55
BrandonH
Pope & Young

I have a deer, 2 hogs, a javelina, and an alligator all macerating as I type. They've only been going for a couple days, and I'm already second guessing myself due to the smell. I do know that I'm wearing my full face respirator when it comes time to open the containers.
BrandonH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #56
jwedel
Four Point

Hunt In: Western OK

This looks like a good method. I boiled a few last year. I have the stuff to do it, plus I have a power washer, so I never did any picking or scraping. HOWEVER, I didn't take too kindly to boiled brain matter splashing back all over my chest and face when I pointed the nozzle way up in there.
Anyhow, do you still have to skin everything and get the lower jaw removed 1st before you drop it in the bucket? It seemed like that was the hardest, most labor-some part of the whole process.
jwedel is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #57
Wes Chaney
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedel View Post
This looks like a good method. I boiled a few last year. I have the stuff to do it, plus I have a power washer, so I never did any picking or scraping. HOWEVER, I didn't take too kindly to boiled brain matter splashing back all over my chest and face when I pointed the nozzle way up in there.
Anyhow, do you still have to skin everything and get the lower jaw removed 1st before you drop it in the bucket? It seemed like that was the hardest, most labor-some part of the whole process.
You can throw the head in whole if that's the way you want to do it, but it's going to take a lot longer for the bacteria to break everything down before you have a good clean skull, probably a couple of months in the water.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #58
Wes Chaney
Six Point

Here it is fresh out of the degreaserName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352071266.173137.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  99.8 KB
Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #59
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a Gametamer or Double Bull

I do several dozen each year like this. Regarding the smell, I worked my first job out of A&M as a shift manager at a chicken kill plant. My maseration process makes others gag and even throw up. Luckily for me, it's a walk in the park compared to that $24k/year Pilgrim's Pride hell hole in Deep Ellum.

When we lived in the city, my neighbors absolutely dreaded a NE wind!
Tex_Cattleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #60
Coach W
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Dickens, Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
I do several dozen each year like this. Regarding the smell, I worked my first job out of A&M as a shift manager at a chicken kill plant. My maseration process makes others gag and even throw up. Luckily for me, it's a walk in the park compared to that $24k/year Pilgrim's Pride hell hole in Deep Ellum.

When we lived in the city, my neighbors absolutely dreaded a NE wind!
What do you use to degrease and Whiten? I'm always looking to learn something new from someone that knows more than my self.
Coach W is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #61
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach W View Post
What do you use to degrease and Whiten? I'm always looking to learn something new from someone that knows more than my self.
If I did it only as a hobby (rather than a business) I'd be happy to share on a public forum. As it stands, you'd have to catch me over a beer and in a generous mood to share secrets. There is a very well known business (you ALL know it) whose owners came to my shop one time under the guise of wanting me to make them mesquite furniture. They were blown away by the skulls and we spent an hour talking about the process. Never heard another word about their "furniture order", but I did hear from a friend of a friend that they are now doing their own skulls.

What I find interesting is that most taxidermists learn their processes from another taxidermist. When I started doing skulls, I went to a museum currator and picked up a method I've never seen on a hunting or taxidermist forum.

Seems soaking for several weeks with Dawn works ok for the degreasing. The Sally's Beauty Supply hair bleach also gets the right results.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #62
baldybarton
Ten Point

I shot a buck on Saturday and cut the head and I'm deciding on wether not I want to do a euro. I have the head cut off with skin still on. What kind of prep do I need to do to either boil or rid-x the skull?
baldybarton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 02:07 PM   #63
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldybarton View Post
I shot a buck on Saturday and cut the head and I'm deciding on wether not I want to do a euro. I have the head cut off with skin still on. What kind of prep do I need to do to either boil or rid-x the skull?
Skin it, remove eyes and as much meat as possible and then have fun!
Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #64
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
If I did it only as a hobby (rather than a business) I'd be happy to share on a public forum. As it stands, you'd have to catch me over a beer and in a generous mood to share secrets. There is a very well known business (you ALL know it) whose owners came to my shop one time under the guise of wanting me to make them mesquite furniture. They were blown away by the skulls and we spent an hour talking about the process. Never heard another word about their "furniture order", but I did hear from a friend of a friend that they are now doing their own skulls.

What I find interesting is that most taxidermists learn their processes from another taxidermist. When I started doing skulls, I went to a museum currator and picked up a method I've never seen on a hunting or taxidermist forum.

Seems soaking for several weeks with Dawn works ok for the degreasing. The Sally's Beauty Supply hair bleach also gets the right results.
Fair enough. If your ever in my neck of the woods hit me up. I like to drink beer. And i love what i do for a living... Even though the pay its terrible and the hours are long... So there is no chance of me ever being a competitor... Just a poor coach that can't hardly afford all i try to do so DIY are about my favorite 3 letters.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #65
Tex_Cattleman
Ten Point

Deal!
Old 11-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #66
Schubert6689
Six Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Looks good
Schubert6689 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #67
Schubert6689
Six Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Looks good
Schubert6689 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #68
TICK MAGNET
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Looks good
TICK MAGNET is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #69
Buckwheat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bosque County

If I gag, that's it. I turn insideout. Think ill stick to boilin.
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #70
Mister Bubba's bulletman
Ten Point

Hunt In: The ranch, Granger, NY, CO.

Quote:
Empty and refill once a week.
Remember to keep a little of the soup in the bucket each time you pour out and refill. That way you don't have to start all over growing all the little bacteria
that help the process.

Or so I've been told so that's what I do.
Mister Bubba's bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #71
Gen 1:28
Four Point

Been calling taxidermys about a mount like these getting quotes from $150 to $200 not saying they ain't deserving of their money I just like to put my money in more hunting stuff :-).This looks like the way I may go now I got to get the deer lol.Thanks for posting.
Gen 1:28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #72
cshall999
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavon...any place I am invited.

Quote:
I mascerated a pig skull this year.

Works great. I am clear coating it as we speak.

Empty and refill once a week.

Will post pics when I'm done.

What I did with my pig skull was put it in a large bucket with about 2 cups of Dawn. Waited a week to change everything out...man I thought I was going to retch up my lower intestine on that one. Again another week and 2 cups of Dawn...changing that one wasn't as bad. Third week everything was degreased and clean. I got some peroxide from the beauty store, I think it was the 40% type, and put that on for a week. They have it in cream form so you can cover it all. The only question I have is how do you put the lower jaw back on the skull when you are all done? It has fallen off twice on me now...maybe it is due to poor gluing or something.

Last edited by cshall999; 11-12-2012 at 09:23 AM..
cshall999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #73
sierracharlie338
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co. Gonzales Co. DeWitt Co. Colorado City

Looks great. I might have to give this a try!
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #74
Coach W
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshall999 View Post
What I did with my pig skull was put it in a large bucket with about 2 cups of Dawn. Waited a week to change everything out...man I thought I was going to retch up my lower intestine on that one. Again another week and 2 cups of Dawn...changing that one wasn't as bad. Third week everything was degreased and clean. I got some peroxide from the beauty store, I think it was the 40% type, and put that on for a week. They have it in cream form so you can cover it all. The only question I have is how do you put the lower jaw back on the skull when you are all done? It has fallen off twice on me now...maybe it is due to poor gluing or something.
This one i buried and dug up later then clear coated... But, i used hanger wire and an eye screw to hold the lower jaw on. Put 2 eye screws in the lower jaw wrap the hanger wire over the top on that hole there and re attach to the other.. Now swivels open and you can position however you want.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #75
Coach W
Banned!!!

Just put this one in the bucket.

This time i know better and i will only refill.. Not dump out and refill.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #76
TX_Hoghunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Harper, TX

Here is a pic of mine that I did last year. Nothing but water int he bucket. Took about 4 - 5 weeks. I will have my deer from this year done either this week or next.

-john

TX_Hoghunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #77
Outback77
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Azle, Caddo, Barksdale and anywhere I get invited

Never tried adding the rid-x makes sense that would speed things up
Outback77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #78
cshall999
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavon...any place I am invited.

Quote:
This one i buried and dug up later then clear coated... But, i used hanger wire and an eye screw to hold the lower jaw on. Put 2 eye screws in the lower jaw wrap the hanger wire over the top on that hole there and re attach to the other.. Now swivels open and you can position however you want.
Hey, thanks Coach.
cshall999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #79
viper3853
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Valley, Gillett

when degreaseing, does it stick bad? im wondering if i can do it at my apt complex and leave it in the balcony, with dawn soap and water. the bugs and birds already cleaned it to the bone.
viper3853 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #80
Wes Chaney
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper3853 View Post
when degreaseing, does it stick bad? im wondering if i can do it at my apt complex and leave it in the balcony, with dawn soap and water. the bugs and birds already cleaned it to the bone.
The degreasing shouldn't stink at all if your skull is properly cleaned. I degrease mine in my garage and can't smell it at all.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #81
mjf9730
Eight Point

Hunt In: Collin & Collingsworth Co.

I just started this process. I might invest in a gas mask. Sounds pretty bad.
mjf9730 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #82
viper3853
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Valley, Gillett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Chaney View Post
The degreasing shouldn't stink at all if your skull is properly cleaned. I degrease mine in my garage and can't smell it at all.
starting after work then!! thanks
viper3853 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #83
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco County, Gillespie County, Polk County

Okay fellows...I skinned mine and followed Wes's instructions. I removed the eyes and as much meat as possible. I submerged it in water with a fourth of a cup of rid-x on the 5th. I have left it alone. I checked on it last night and it still has alot of stuff on it. I tried the waterhose and that did not work.

Did I not use enough rid-x? How much is everyone else using? Should I just add more rid-x to the existing mixture or toss it and start over?
Bowtechlady is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #84
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353419433.673073.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  72.1 KB

Here is the before pic. Did I get enough off to start process or should I have done more?
Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #85
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Does it make a difference if it has been in the freezer since last year? I removed it from the freezer,thawed it, and skinned this one but does that make it take longer to process if it is not a fresh kill?

Last edited by Bowtechlady; 11-20-2012 at 08:05 AM..
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #86
txtimetravler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: DeWitt County

^no. Take it out of the freezer, thaw and euro process it.
txtimetravler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #87
RACK
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hare Texas ,Rocksprings,Midwest, and Mother Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtechlady View Post
Did I not use enough rid-x? How much is everyone else using? Should I just add more rid-x to the existing mixture or toss it and start over?
I use a whole box and i make my container air tight , the warmer the better so leave it in the sun
RACK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #88
Saltgrass Mikerr
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere

Great Post !!
I want to mount my next one like that. And now I know how. Looks like it works great !
Saltgrass Mikerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #89
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Does it make a difference if it has been in the freezer since last year? I removed it from the freezer,thawed it, and skinned this one but does that make it take longer to process if it is not a fresh kill?
You used plenty Rid-X (you really don't need any)
The cooler weather has slowed the process. The hotter the weather, the better.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #90
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
You used plenty Rid-X (you really don't need any)
The cooler weather has slowed the process. The hotter the weather, the better.
Thanks Kevin! Warmer weather is returning so I will wait it out.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #91
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACK MASTER View Post
I use a whole box and i make my container air tight , the warmer the better so leave it in the sun
I will reposition it into direct sun. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #92
Bowtechlady
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtimetravler View Post
^no. Take it out of the freezer, thaw and euro process it.
Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:43 AM   #93
Wes Chaney
Six Point

Quote:
Attachment 423201

Here is the before pic. Did I get enough off to start process or should I have done more?
You got plenty off, it's just the cooler weather slows it down a lot. You can use a fish tank heater in the water to keep it warmer or just wait it out. When I did mine it was in the 90's and it went fast.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #94
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Put on a pair of latex gloves from the auto parts store, get a bunch of single edge razors, a beer and cut/scrape the remaining meat off the bone.

Working on top of a big sheet of plastic or a black yard trash bag makes clean up easier. I did a pig skull like that last week, soaking in dish detergent and water now degreasing the bone.
Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #95
Nova
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over the Piney Woods

Quote:
Thanks!
The heating in the day and drastic cooling at night is killing you. Put a fish tank heater in there to keep it a constant temp or wait until summer.
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #96
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Mines going slow as well. Moving to sunny spot today
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #97
BrandonH
Pope & Young

My 5 skulls have been soaking for over 3 weeks now at a constant 90 degrees, so I plan on pulling them out this week and see what they look like. I did bring my full face respirator home from work to help with the smell.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #98
tbeak
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere i can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonH View Post
My 5 skulls have been soaking for over 3 weeks now at a constant 90 degrees, so I plan on pulling them out this week and see what they look like. I did bring my full face respirator home from work to help with the smell.
This just sounds disgusting.
tbeak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #99
BrandonH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeak View Post
This just sounds disgusting.
Yes it is...I have 1 deer, 2 hogs, 1 javelina, and an alligator. My wife has had a few choice words for me after the 2nd day they were in the yard, so you can imagine 3 weeks.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #100
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Pulled mine and hit it with 2500 psi power washer and moved pot to the sun.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top