Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Harvey Aftermath & Relief

Old 08-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #1
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca
Default ***Disaster Relief Fund Raising via TBH

As you would expect, there are MANY here on TBH that want to do whatever they can to help neighbors (and specifically TBHers) affected by Harvey. We certainly want to do the same.

However, we need to make sure we do things the right way. Past tragedies, disasters, hardships, etc. have illustrated that we aren't completely immune to those who might attempt to take advantage of others' hardships for personal gain - either by those accepting donations without a legitimate hardship or those soliciting donations and not fully following through with allocation thereof. Most of you know that we don't typically allow fundraisers without prior approval for this very reason.

In an effort to prevent our benevolent members from being taken advantage of, I want to make sure we have some protocols in place for soliciting and/or collecting/distributing donations through this site.

First, if you have created an existing fundraiser or an idea for generating disaster donations (gofundme, auctions, raffles, benefit events, etc.) from our members, please contact an administrator for approval before posting here. We'll want details and accountability before any outside fundraising events are approved, and many (most) likely won't be approved if we can't verify with near 100% accuracy.

There have already been several posts with groups or individuals designing shirts or other merchandise, with proceeds benefitting Harvey victims. Unfortunately, we can't really verify the legitimacy of these fundraisers.

Please know that Larry is working on a TBH Themed tshirt design that we will announce soon, with all net proceeds going toward disaster relief. (We haven't worked out details, yet, of whether that will be to a community organization for general donation or if proceeds will be allocated to existing site members in need, but we will work out those details before we start selling them in our store.). We will keep a transparent accounting of shirts sold and the proceeds donated.

if y'all would like, we can create a central donation (paypal or gofundme) for direct contributions via TBH. Again, we will keep a full accounting of dollars received and donated, with 100% going to relief victims.

We're actively working on this and will come up with plans soon.

Michael

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Thanks Michael, I need a new shirt.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
JLivi1224
Eight Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Sounds great.
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 08:17 PM   #4
2Lazy2P
Eight Point

Hunt In: NE Texas/SE Oklahoma

Sounds good.
2Lazy2P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
hook-n-horns
Four Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX

Awesome
hook-n-horns is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
JustinJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Baylor County,Collin County

Looking forward to a TBH gofundme account set up.
JustinJ is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
Mtltx
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill country

I like it!
Mtltx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #8
Brush Country
Six Point

Hunt In: No Where Lease Less, Tx

Michael, I shared a Go Fund account started by a cooking team, that a close friend of mine is on. His name is Carey. The thread is on the Around the Campfire forum. Please feel free to contact the individual that have noted their contacts on the page to keep very thing legit and not have issues. I can vouch for the team but I fully understand where you are coming from. If you deed it necessary and not content please delete the thread if you please.

I for one ask for apologies to you and all the head admins for not contacting you folks first.

With that said if anyone of our brother members donated, I want to thanks you for the help and also what it to be know that your contributions are going to put to use to help our First Responders and volunteer as stated on the Go Fund page.

Again I'm sorry if I crossed the line.
Brush Country is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

I don't know how others feel, but I would rather any monetary relief effort be done through TBH as a GoFundMe or other. I think this would lend more credence to the effort and assure donors that the money would be more likely to be distributed in an equitable manner.

But hurry, these people need help yesterday !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever I find a lease.

You guys new to the site sit back and watch this. You are about to see what makes TBH so great. Thanks Michael.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

In.

I'd like to know that we are helping TBH'ers directly but it would be good if we are able to go through an approved charitable organization for accountability and book keeping purposes.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #12
Erin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Crockett Cty

Glad to hear it Michael! A friend and I went out to purchase some things yesterday for our local church shelter and she had people sending her money right and left to assist. It's hard to know what the best way to use that is, but I can see where it's VERY easy for people to take advantage/ be taken advantage of during this time. As always, TBH is a wonderful FAMILY that helps each other out wherever possible!
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #13
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co

Ready, say when
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lometa, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Ready, say when
x2
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #15
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Just a reminder to everyone also, this "storm" is not over. Once the rainfall quits and the waters recede there will still be alot of need. The news will be on to another story and there will still be alot of people in need. I like many of you want to do something for those in need. Be patient and diligent. There will be alot of need for a long time to come. Give all you can as long as you can.

To all our TBH family effected by this, Don't let pride get in the way of letting us help!
Old 08-30-2017, 09:21 AM   #16
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX & The "H" Some Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyart View Post
x2
x3
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #17
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

Will be in for this shirt!! Like that idea. Every time we go to the store we buy a bed load of water and drop off at a shelter. Think we are around 50 cases so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #18
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Michael thank you sir! Absolutely would prefer to help TBH'ers directly. Many of us will be helping in multiple places and organizations such as out churches and companies. I think we'd love to focus some help to our TBH brothers and sisters. Again, thank you sir!

Regarding asking or receiving help from others, let me tell you my story...
As many of you know, back in 2013, my wife and I lost our only son. As you can imagine, we were totally devastated. The outpouring of well wishes and such from this site were just unbelievable. We felt the prayers, and many TBH'ers came to us to help... We did not feel good about being helped and really somewhat resisted it. We resisted help from our church family as well... In a conversation with one of our pastors, he gave us some of the most valuable advice we'd ever received and I think it is appropriate here.

My wife and I have always been the ones helping. We work and give to others... the old "it's better to give than receive"... thing, you know... Well our minister told us, "there are many, many people you have helped and been friends with for many years that are sincerely hurting with you and they want to help you. You should let them help you. It will be a blessing to you and more importantly really, it will be a blessing to them. You both know how you get pleasure and satisfaction from helping others, now is the time for others to help you and support you. Please let them."...

To my TBH brothers and sisters, it's the same right now for you! If you have been devastated by this terrible disaster, you need help! Pride has nothing to do with it. It is our nature to want to help others. It is NOT for the most part our nature to receive that help... You must make an effort to receive the blessing of help and at the same time, you will allow those of us who want to and can help, help you and be blessed.

God direct our paths, and bring us all through this together, stronger, closer and in accordance with Your will, Amen.

Thanks.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 PM   #19
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wyoming and Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
Michael thank you sir! Absolutely would prefer to help TBH'ers directly. Many of us will be helping in multiple places and organizations such as out churches and companies. I think we'd love to focus some help to our TBH brothers and sisters. Again, thank you sir!

Regarding asking or receiving help from others, let me tell you my story...
As many of you know, back in 2013, my wife and I lost our only son. As you can imagine, we were totally devastated. The outpouring of well wishes and such from this site were just unbelievable. We felt the prayers, and many TBH'ers came to us to help... We did not feel good about being helped and really somewhat resisted it. We resisted help from our church family as well... In a conversation with one of our pastors, he gave us some of the most valuable advice we'd ever received and I think it is appropriate here.

My wife and I have always been the ones helping. We work and give to others... the old "it's better to give than receive"... thing, you know... Well our minister told us, "there are many, many people you have helped and been friends with for many years that are sincerely hurting with you and they want to help you. You should let them help you. It will be a blessing to you and more importantly really, it will be a blessing to them. You both know how you get pleasure and satisfaction from helping others, now is the time for others to help you and support you. Please let them."...

To my TBH brothers and sisters, it's the same right now for you! If you have been devastated by this terrible disaster, you need help! Pride has nothing to do with it. It is our nature to want to help others. It is NOT for the most part our nature to receive that help... You must make an effort to receive the blessing of help and at the same time, you will allow those of us who want to and can help, help you and be blessed.

God direct our paths, and bring us all through this together, stronger, closer and in accordance with Your will, Amen.

Thanks.
Well said Slick !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #20
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

any word on this?

I'm headed to Houston area Monday or Tuesday. If anyone down there needs anything specific let me know....Please!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 AM   #21
Tubby
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County & The Diamond C!

I'm in!
Tubby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #22
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

TBH Edition Harvey Benefit Tahirt

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...2&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever I find a lease.

I'm in for a 2x

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-01-2017, 03:48 PM   #24
boy wonder
Ten Point

Hunt In: Albany

Has a fund been set up, or just the T shirt program? I need to donate, but don't need a bunch of shirts.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top