The Fawn of the Doe I Shot Last Week...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fawn of the Doe I Shot Last Week...

Actually, I shot my first doe with a bow 2 weeks ago. She had a nubbin buck with her...I’ve seen him 3 times now. Watched him last week from my stand for about 30 minutes. Watched him this evening from my Tuff Shed cabin for about 20 minutes. I’ve got a huge Red Oak (it could be white) about 20 yards from my cabin. Over the past 5 years, I’ve really cleaned up around it. The acorns are easily assessible...which leads to the rest of the story.

I watched the nubbin buck from inside the cabin. A few years ago, I installed French doors which allows me to see under the tree. The nubbin buck played with the rope swing that I put up for my kids. He actually spared with it. I really hope he makes it and I can throw a stick at him in another 3 years.

A little later, I see small branches falling. I go outside and a coon is about 50 foot up in the top of the tree. I think it was eating acorns?

Then, just a few minutes ago, I turned on the flood lights because it’s dark. I was able to watch two hogs and about 15 piglets eat. I’ve never seen this much activity around my small 55 acres.

Maybe it wasn’t that big of a deal, but I really enjoyed being in the woods this evening. One day, maybe I’ll get the chance to live out here.

He will do just fine.......unless someone else thwacks him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like little bucky will be your pet in 3 years. Shoot those pigs!!
      Sure is nice having your own spot.
      Enjoy

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
        Sounds like little bucky will be your pet in 3 years. Shoot those pigs!!
        Sure is nice having your own spot.
        Enjoy
        It’s too dark...and when I opened the door to poke the shotgun out, they ran off

Yes, it is awesome owning my own spot. Life’s had it’s ups and down, but I really do love this place. This evening has possibly been one of the biggest highlights since buying the place.

Comment

Pretty neat

Comment

I would consider building a removable hog panel pen around that tree
            And buying a couple of DP traps.

BP

Comment

Sounds like a really great place. Color me jealous! That's my dream one day. Enjoy it as often as you can!

Comment

Sounds like an awesome time in the woods!

Comment

Congrats on the doe, hopefully the yotes don't get the fawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    I would consider building a removable hog panel pen around that tree
                    And buying a couple of DP traps.

BP
                    I’ve thought about putting a feeder under the big Oak. I could hunt out of the cabin loft, just open a window- instant heated/cooled blind.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                      Sounds like a really great place. Color me jealous! That's my dream one day. Enjoy it as often as you can!

There’s not a lot of deer, but that’s not why I bought the place. I’ve always wanted land, because my dad’s always wants land. I bring the kids and my parents out here all the time. My parents have watched the little ones for years while I hunted. The kids love it...the wife, not so much.

Comment

Natural easy food source outside your door....no telling what comes around and gets a snack that you never see.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1 View Post
                          Natural easy food source outside your door....no telling what comes around and gets a snack that you never see.
                          I think you’re probably right. Add to the fact that 30 yards from the big oak, there’s a small pond that never goes dry. And I just saw him walk by again.

Comment

Working...
                          X