Kayak shopping need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kayak shopping need advice

My Wife and myself are looking for the right Kayak that is affordable for fishing and Bowfishing. I am 6’3. 275 pounds. She is 5’7. Looking for help and good advice first timers. Any input is appreciated. Thank you,

Wider is better i.e. more stable. Weight was a big factor to me as I planned on carrying them on a roof rack the majority of the time. Some of the high dollar yaks are close to if not over 100lbs without the accessories.

Comment

Go to Austin Kayak's Demo days in April - Austin, San Marcos or Woodlands. Try them all! You'll find what you like and don't like real fast!

Comment

Originally posted by mooney_ag View Post
        Go to Austin Kayak's Demo days in April - Austin, San Marcos or Woodlands. Try them all! You'll find what you like and don't like real fast!
        This

Kind of like buying a new bow. Test drive em and see what fits.

Comment

Originally posted by nothinbutwelves View Post
          My Wife and myself are looking for the right Kayak that is affordable for fishing and Bowfishing. I am 6’3. 275 pounds. She is 5’7. Looking for help and good advice first timers. Any input is appreciated. Thank you,
          If you're looking for something stable and has a high load capacity, take a look at the Nucanoe Frontier. It's beyond stable and can carry over 600 pounds. I deer hunt out of mine and carry my 90 pound lab out duck hunting.

But, like others have stated...go try them out and find one that fits yours and your wife's needs.

Comment

Jackson big rig comes to mind for you wife could probably get away with a lot less boat. Big and stable does not equate to cheap

Comment

Second the Jackson yaks. Also check out VIBE Kayaks.

Comment

where are you located? I have a couple you could try out

Comment

there are several that you could look at. All are great with stability and weight capacity. Jackson Big Rig, Old Town Predator, Hobie Pro Angler, Diablo Adios or Amigo are the main ones that come to mind. I have an Old Town Predator13 that I stand and fish out of. I'm 5'11'', 240 and its stable as could be. The Diablo Kayaks are hardtop beat far stability. I've seen a 250 lb'ish guy stand on the very front and fish like he was land. Price isn't cheap for any of them but you get what you pay for.

Comment

Sometimes Academy will put theirs on sale. I have a 12' Perception Pescador (sit on top) and also an Old Town (sit inside) that I got for very good prices. As in $150 off. Just have to watch for them to put them on sale. I think the Perception was regularly $549 and the Old Town was $450 or so. I'm very happy with both and have used them quite a bit over the past couple years. Kayaking is very addicting so get ready to get one or two and start tricking them out to your needs.

Comment

Get her a 499.00 pescsdor from academy.

Get yourself a ride 135 for 1100.

Unfortunately for us big guys, there's no cheap kayaks worth having

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For her, you have a lot of options. I like the Pescador Pro, not the Sport. The Pro has a much better and comfortable seat. For you, if you want to bowfish out of it, you are gonna have to find something like a Hobie or Diablo to be able to comfortably stand up in it and shoot. The other boat I would consider for the bowfishing aspect is the Ascend H12 as it is extremely stable to stand in.

Comment

Here I am throwing a 7 foot cast net out of my Coosa HD. No problem. The Jackson BIG RIG is 4" wider. I can't imagine how stable that one would be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	yak1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	24530019

Comment

Looks stable Brandon u kayak fish around marble falls or you fish at the coast?

Comment

I'm 6'5' 240lbs and have a Diablo Amigo that I use for fishing/bowfishing. I can easily stand and cast/shoot from it. I've also loaded it down with 5 gallon bucket live well, milk crate full of gear, and bag cooler full of drinks/food. The Larry chair is comfortable and makes standing up a breeze. It's extremely stable, and can hold a lot of weight, but not the best for long distance paddling. Whatever kayak you get splurge and buy a quality lightweight paddle. Makes a HUGE difference and you'll be able to paddle a lot further with ease.

Comment

Working...
                              X