No announcement yet.

New Guy Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a lefty but I shoot right handed. There for the world still caters to me luckily, haha. Good luck and welcome.

I started with a couple of old used bows and eventually stepped up to a new Hoyt after I was addicted.
    Nothing wrong with buying a used setup and taking it to a shop and having it set up for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hix View Post
      I'm a lefty but I shoot right handed. There for the world still caters to me luckily, haha. Good luck and welcome.

I started with a couple of old used bows and eventually stepped up to a new Hoyt after I was addicted.
      Nothing wrong with buying a used setup and taking it to a shop and having it set up for you.

Thanks sir. Since I posted this I have been looking at a lot of used bows. I'm a very skeptical buyer but I am keeping my eyes open. A couple of buddies of mine that have taken their bows to the local shop say he wont work on used bows that didnt come from him. I'd hate to have that happen because the next closest is over an hour away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Welcome. I'm in the LJ area as well. I don't go to the "pro" shop here in town because the guys there have pretty terrible customer service and have been disappointed multiple times with them. That being said I took a buddy who is new to bowhunting to Texas Archery and it is definitely worth the drive.
        Good luck and feel free to pm any questions

Comment

Shoot as many bows as you can. I was a big Mathews guy for years and I just bought an Elite last week. Buy the bow that you are the most comfortable shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by TXQuackStacker View Post
            Thanks for the reminder of everything else haha. I don't even have my own place to hunt yet but will be hunting with a few buddies at first. They all use ground blinds. A rangefinder would be a good investment too though. Even for rifle hunting.

I am a lefty too and tried the used bow market at first. When I realized I love the feel of a bow when you release an arrow I have been bitten by this addiction. While it is cheap to start off with a used bow, you will spend more when you upgrade to a new bow. I would recommend going to West Houston Archery and shooting the bows. I am telling you every year the manufacturers improve on their design. The Creed is an excellent bow and every change costs money with Mathews. Its just the way they are, but I have a feeling if you shot the new Hoyts, Bowtechs, Elites, Primes, Obsessions and PSEs you will find the right bow for you.

As it has been said before this site has a lot of very smart bowhunters that gladly ask any question you may have. Welcome to the club.

Comment

Originally posted by be12hunt View Post
              Welcome. I'm in the LJ area as well. I don't go to the "pro" shop here in town because the guys there have pretty terrible customer service and have been disappointed multiple times with them. That being said I took a buddy who is new to bowhunting to Texas Archery and it is definitely worth the drive.
              Good luck and feel free to pm any questions
              Does Texas Archery have more leftys to shoot? I went to our local shop and to Santa Fe. Santa Fe let me shoot Hoyt pro defiant and Halon 32 and a 2 year old new bowtech (knight) I think. So far I love the Halon 32 but the price of the Ballistic 2.0 which I haven't been able to shoot yet is nicer than shelling out $1300 on my first bow.

Comment

Originally posted by TXQuackStacker View Post
                Does Texas Archery have more leftys to shoot? I went to our local shop and to Santa Fe. Santa Fe let me shoot Hoyt pro defiant and Halon 32 and a 2 year old new bowtech (knight) I think. So far I love the Halon 32 but the price of the Ballistic 2.0 which I haven't been able to shoot yet is nicer than shelling out $1300 on my first bow.

I can't say for sure but I would expect them to. They have a ton of bows there and the ballistic 2.0 is what my buddy ended up going with as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Saludos from a fellow lefty!! Welcome to the fire!! I can tell you as a fellow lefty most shops are going to have a fraction of the LH bows in shop as compared to RH bows. It is a curse we must endure

I have a bow I purchased on here last year that is still new and in the box. I bought it thinking I was going to have to lower draw weight after shoulder surgery but have been able to shoot my 70 lbs bow just fine plus I am now in a trad bow addiction so chances are that bow will never fling arrows out of my hand. Here is a link to the thread when I bought it. Let me know if you are interested we can work out a deal.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=574286

This sounds like a good deal. Think about this!

Comment

Welome from another true lefty.

Comment

good one

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                      I have a Left handed Mathews No Cam 27.5 inch 60lbs I would let go of for $600
                      This would be an excellent one if it fits. And that 28" draw measurement you got will not be right on with different bows. GL.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome!

I know everybody keeps saying shoot a lot of bows. But as you said most bows don't carry many, if any, left hand bows to shoot. If you liked that Halon 32 I think you could find a better deal than $1300. Even set up that is a little pricey depending on what accessories they were offering you.

As for Archerytalk I have been on there since 2008 and have bought way too many bows from there lol. As others have said you have to check feedback. Don't be afraid to PM guys that left feedback and ask them questions. If you ask the seller for more pictures and they makes excuses, walk away. They are hiding something. I do all my own work so I guess I am less concerned than someone who relies on a shop. Also NEVER send PayPal payment as a gift. That is against the rules there now but it still happens, just in private messages and not in the public forum.

Good luck and welcome to the awesome world of archery. I have been bow only since 2007. I don't even own a gun I can hunt with really.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                            Welcome!

I know everybody keeps saying shoot a lot of bows. But as you said most bows don't carry many, if any, left hand bows to shoot. If you liked that Halon 32 I think you could find a better deal than $1300. Even set up that is a little pricey depending on what accessories they were offering you.

As for Archerytalk I have been on there since 2008 and have bought way too many bows from there lol. As others have said you have to check feedback. Don't be afraid to PM guys that left feedback and ask them questions. If you ask the seller for more pictures and they makes excuses, walk away. They are hiding something. I do all my own work so I guess I am less concerned than someone who relies on a shop. Also NEVER send PayPal payment as a gift. That is against the rules there now but it still happens, just in private messages and not in the public forum.

Good luck and welcome to the awesome world of archery. I have been bow only since 2007. I don't even own a gun I can hunt with really.
                            Thanks for the input. So the Halon 32 is $1050 for bow and then accessories which I just thought $200 ish with rest, quiver, sight etc. Then taxes right about $1300. Everyone is gonna sell the bow for $1050 right?

Comment

I have decided on buying the Halon 32 in Lost XD. I am 99% on putting a QAD HDX in Lost XD as the rest. I am not sure as far as what sight to start with. I was priced a package with a Trophy Ridge Hitman but I can't seem to find any reviews on that sight. I found some online for less than a $100. I am doing a lot of research on sights and trying to piece this package together affordably. If you know of a sight close to $150 or less that would make a great sight for my first bow package, please let me know. Thanks

Comment

Welcome to the fire! I got a Halon 32 back in January. I've killed 35 pigs with it since. It is a killer bow. Period.

Comment

Working...
                                X