DIY Sausage Smokehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rdwhunter View Post
    You have to shoot something besides air first . That air sausage is not very filling. LMAO. Did you ever find your new rage?
    lol

Comment

I am making one for sure. Now all I have to do is kill something.

Comment

My brother built a 8x8 about 10 yrs. ago. We moved it to his new
        house in August, will fire it up in February again. It holds 400 lbs. of
        links and with our 40 year old recipe, it's some great sausage! Working on the deer meat now.

Comment

Originally posted by bowmansdad View Post
          My brother built a 8x8 about 10 yrs. ago. We moved it to his new
          house in August, will fire it up in February again. It holds 400 lbs. of
          links and with our 40 year old recipe, it's some great sausage! Working on the deer meat now.

yes the big ones are nice if you don't need portable........
          Attached Files

Comment

I agree! It was an all day job to move it from our mom's house to his!

Comment

Originally posted by rdwhunter View Post
              You have to shoot something besides air first . That air sausage is not very filling. LMAO. Did you ever find your new rage?
              your funny, and no

Comment

Smart Smart.

Comment

If a smaller version was built is there specific pipe height inside? From the exaust pipe to the meat? I have never had or been around a smoker and am curious to what the limits were on meats you can smoke.

Comment

awesome smart!! ill stop in and try some smoked sausage great idea man im proud of you

Comment

Is smoking meats in build this size known as cold smoking? What is the optimal temperature?

Comment

Thats awesome! I'll put that on my list of wanna builds...

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                          Is smoking meats in build this size known as cold smoking? What is the optimal temperature?

Cold smoking is correct.....we want the temperature under 65 degrees outside and dry but prefer in the mid 50s as we don't want to freeze our own tails off.. Right after a dry front with blue skies is the primo time. After hunting season we let everybody know to be prepared every weekend for the right time..

Comment

Originally posted by bowhica View Post
                            If a smaller version was built is there specific pipe height inside? From the exaust pipe to the meat? I have never had or been around a smoker and am curious to what the limits were on meats you can smoke.
                            I wouldn't go too much smaller unless you are dropping your amounts down significantly. The pipe can be a little warmer than we want but smoking has nothing to do with the heat and everything to do with the smoke. The end of the pipe here is probably a foot/half or two from the lowest links. The purpose of the pipe from the fire box is too cool it down before it enters the house. If you are smoking in something like our large smokehouse heat is not an issue....just move the source around

Comment

I have a question I think i know the answer to, but to make sure... When cold smoking at these temps for that amount of time, you must be using the pink cure (sodium nitrite) in your recipe, correct? Also, what tells you they are done smoking, what conditions/ color do you look for?

Thanks and a great looking smoker!

Comment

You can use it or salt......we usually just use salt..

After 6-7 hours we'll pull part of a link and boil/grill to look for the distinct pink smoke ring that goes completely around the link and almost reaches to the center....we'll continue to check it until it has taken enough smoke to create that ring. The cooler it is the better it takes the smoke
                                Last edited by Smart; 10-16-2008, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X