82 Scrambler rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strain View Post
    Fun rides. Love helping my son tinker with his.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sweet Scrambler!

Comment

Good looking jeep. Wish I still had mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        Hoping I got you fixed up via text last night.

Where should I mount it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          Where should I mount it?

Inside frame back near the tank or on the inner fender

Comment

Well my goal for the weekend was to get to mock up the new engine but due to some unexpected interruptions I had to settle for just getting the old power plant out.

A bonus is that the under body and frame are in even better shape than I thought. The frame still has its original paint in great condition except for under the body mounts and a small section under the master cylinder where brake fluid had spilled and caused some surface rust. Due to this I’m considering skipping all the sand blasting I had planned and allow me to just spot treat and then re-coat.

I learned that these bodies were known to collapse at the door opening sometimes when the body doesn’t have frame support so I made these braces to prevent that.

Rolled it out to lift the body off and pressure wash the heck out of everything.

Rolled her back in and got the engine/trans pulled. It’s sitting across the frame so I can pull the T-case and then it can go away!

Comment

Looking good.

Comment

Well I got the old power train out and sold. Also got the new one in for a test fit. I have room to shift the engine forward so I will make that adjustment for final installation. Now I need to remove the trans and get the tail shaft changed out for the Dana 300 adapter.

Comment

Dang, what you putting in there?

Comment

Originally posted by bigdraw View Post
                    dang, what you putting in there?

5.3 ls

Comment

I’m at a crossroad and needing ideas / advice.

After years of flat towing CJ’s I just learned that the Dana 300 is not suited to flat towing due to lack of lubrication of the rear output bearing when T-case is in neutral.

Since much of the point of this build was to have it to flat tow behind a motor home this is a problem!

Some research led me to Tri-county Gear in CA who used to do a old that welded slingers inside the case to spay lube on the output bearing. Well I called today and he actually suggest a 12v auxiliary oil pump powered by the tow vehicle to provide lube. This mod with parts is about $1000.

Are there other mod options or a better T-case alternative that would be better for a CJ that is flat towed often and at freeway speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        I’m at a crossroad and needing ideas / advice.

After years of flat towing CJ’s I just learned that the Dana 300 is not suited to flat towing due to lack of lubrication of the rear output bearing when T-case is in neutral.

Since much of the point of this build was to have it to flat tow behind a motor home this is a problem!

Some research led me to Tri-county Gear in CA who used to do a old that welded slingers inside the case to spay lube on the output bearing. Well I called today and he actually suggest a 12v auxiliary oil pump powered by the tow vehicle to provide lube. This mod with parts is about $1000.

Are there other mod options or a better T-case alternative that would be better for a CJ that is flat towed often and at freeway speeds?

Disconnect the driveshafts?? 2min job with an impact drill. Hang them up with bungee cords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                          Disconnect the driveshafts?? 2min job with an impact drill. Hang them up with bungee cords.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pass. Pulling wrenches is the last thing on my mind when the wife and I finally get away together.

A driveshaft disconnect is an option but only slightly better....

Comment

Look into the Moroso climbing gear lube.
                            It really works.

Comment

Took Saturday off to walk the Lonestar Throwdown looking for ideas and inspiration, saw some cool stuff but not much that pertains to my build.

Today I got all brake lines off, radiator etc off and gas tank out. She is pretty neckid now. Next step will be welding frame plates and trussing the rear end, then I will be ready to paint the frame and running gear.

Comment

I have been in bit of a tiz trying to figure out what to do about my T-case, while the trans was in the shop getting the D-300 adapter installed I learned that the D-300 is not suitable for extended flat towing, long story short I decided to go with an NP241D and a clocking ring so while I wait on that to arrive I went ahead with the install of the MORE Frame plates. I don’t think I need them given condition of my frame but the return policy sucks and since there are less expensive alternatives on this site resale sucked as well.

The other expensive change was my thought of running my AMC 20 with 3.73’s for a while, a little time studying charts showed that I needed a much deeper gear so the Ford 9” is getting drug up from the pasture for a shortening, new axles and a new center chunk sporting 4.56’s most likely.

I’m also back to the plan of abrasive blasting the frame for a good paint job.

Comment

Working...
                                X