14 points ahead of the front. A novel. 11-21-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14 points ahead of the front. A novel. 11-21-15

The pigs came in before I could get comfortable in my decades-old tripod. Their squealing, clattering, and chomping was loud enough to draw my attention away from the constant whir of the twin oil pumping mules 1/4 mile to my northeast. Not waking up at 3:30 in the morning to haul my butt an hour and a half south to bring home the bacon, I loudly grunted and growled while waving the porkers away. It was 6:28 a.m. They came back. I was not amused.

I ran them off probably five times before a little fork horn joined them for a little corn time. Deciding I should just settle back to see what transpires, I readied my bow hoping a nice fat doe might appear. We ran out of ground venison about two months back and the family has been waiting patiently for me to get back in the woods. Last weekend, in this same tripod, I spotted only two doe and a spike, all spooky, and not one of the three came within range. Today would be different. The young four point skirted the edges around the marauding porcine, nibbling bits of corn and making a half circle around them.

As the pigs feasted, the young buck made a move in, trying to scoop up a few more morsels. The bigger sow wasn't going to have that! She turned, grunted, and ran that buck to the next county! That was it for me. One of these pigs was going down once and for all!

I had been texting the play by play action to my wife. As the humid pre-dawn darkness slipped away, she reminded me that we could certainly use a ham to smoke for New Year's Day. The spotted porker offered up the best angle for a shot, so I settled my sight pin on the unfortunate bullseye the little pig had tattooed upon her since birth. With a slow exhale, I squeezed the trigger on my release, sending a Slick Trick 100 grain magnum tipped arrow to its mark. With an explosion of excitement shattering the morning calm, a dozen pigs scattered in every direction. My quarry bolted northwest, but only for 25 yards before piling up within sight of my perch. It was now time to sit and see what might happen.

Thinking I was about to be on my way home with "the other white meat", I texted back to my wife the success of the hunt. Only 5 minutes had ticked away before the 4 point meandered back on to the scene. Without the pigs, he had the run of the feeding area. Within 2 more minutes, he was joined by two yearling doe, all intent on filling their bellies before the impending weather change. They had all come from the southwest, or directly from my left and slightly behind me. I glanced over my left shoulder and, through the mesquite canopy, I could make out two more deer headed my way.

I clipped the jaws of my release neatly on the bowstring, snug against the nock of my second arrow. The healthy doe did not follow the same path in as the others. The deer following her bumped hind quarters and she quickly moved aside. I had reserved myself to harvesting this doe when, through the mesquite and cactus, the rich color of chocolate visible above the second deer's head quickened my pulse.

Although recognizable as a buck, I did not know the caliber of this deer until he walked into a clearing in the canopy. He walked at a steady pace as I counted; 1, 2, 3, 4-5-6! Oh man, a 12 point! I had never seen a deer with antlers this size, even on my trail camera pictures! My heart beat was now as quick as a hovering hummingbird's wings as the buck continued into my shooting lane. By the grace of God, not one of the other deer present noticed as I drew back my 63 pound Browning Mystic. The buck lowered his head and stopped for a nibble immediately in front of me. As he stepped forward with his right leg (as I was praying he would), arrow #2 was sent on its 17 yard journey. After a jump and mule kick, the deer disappeared around the granjeno and cactus to my north. I listened intently, but never heard the beast crash. The waiting and worrying commenced. Was my shot placement ok? Will I be able to find my arrow? Will I be able to find this deer? I sat and the breeze picked up.

After 20 minutes and a phone call to my wife about the biggest deer I've ever seen (too excited to text), I snuck down from my stand and straight to a beautifully blood covered arrow. The worry began to ease. Making my way to check on the expired pig, I scoured the landscape for any blood trail that might lead to my best buck ever. I didn't see any, though I was concentrating on getting to the pig. After putting my hands on the sow, I rounded the corner where I had lost sight of the deer. As I did, I looked ahead to a beautiful picture 30 yards in front of me in the middle of a long forgotten sendero.

The rain and wind kicked up after the self-timed pictures, and I struggled to get this deer field dressed and into the back of my truck. It wasn't until after I arrived home and my son climbed into the bed of the truck that the points on this buck's antlers were counted. This hunt is one I will never forget!

The pictures just don't do this buck justice! Thanks for reading along.

Todd

Heck of a buck congrats

Comment

Congrats!!!!

Comment

Awesome stuff. Congrats

Comment

Great write up and awesome buck. Love the mass.

Comment

Awesome buck and great story!!

Comment

Nice stud buck

Comment

Really cool rack on that buck. Congratulations!

Comment

Great write up and congrats!

Comment

Great deer!

Comment

Enjoyed the story. Congratulations.

Comment

Nice deer and great write up.

Comment

That's a great buck, congrats!

Comment

Great hunting story, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great buck and story!! Congrats!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X