Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanical broad heads and powerful bows...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical broad heads and powerful bows...

Do they mix?

I have a Mathews XLR8 that I plan on hunting with. Draw set to 75lbs. I don't know what it chronos at. Arrow, broadhead, lighted nock, come in at just under 400gr. That being said with the Rage practice head I am blowing all the way through the arrow block even at 30yds. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard about this but will the broadhead even have enough time to open during pass through to work the way it was designed?

Again, prob thinking to hard about it but nonetheless a thought that I would like an answer for.

Wow, 75 lbs. What you gonna be hunting for??

Comment

Originally posted by slicktrick87 View Post
      Do they mix?

I have a Mathews XLR8 that I plan on hunting with. Draw set to 75lbs. I don't know what it chronos at. Arrow, broadhead, lighted nock, come in at just under 400gr. That being said with the Rage practice head I am blowing all the way through the arrow block even at 30yds. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard about this but will the broadhead even have enough time to open during pass through to work the way it was designed?

Again, prob thinking to hard about it but nonetheless a thought that I would like an answer for.
      Skin pushes them open. Doesn't matter how fast it happens

Comment

I think they will open, but in my opinion I don't trust them at all. I think you lose a lot of penetration with them opening on impact. There are a lot of people on here that have very good luck with them

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
          wondering the same

Comment

Faster is prefered for mecs. I always thought.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post

Whitetail for now. Buddy of mine is working on getting me up to Wyoming for an elk hunt.

Comment

Mechanicals will work with that setup. But, you would be better off sticking with your namesake heads. I used to love mechanicals because I could just screw it in and go hunt (for the most part). Then I started tuning for my BH's, and I can honestly say that I would rather spend the time tuning and shoot a fixed than bypass the tuning and shoot a mechanical.

Comment

your setup is find....
                  quit fretting about it and go kill something

Comment

I also have a stand that I can possibly have a shot at 50yds. These bows are a little noisy so I figure the faster the better so whatever I fling an arrow at has less time to try and jump the string.

Comment

I have always shot fixed heads, whether a slick trick or a shuttle T. Wanted to try the rage hypos this year to see what all the fuss was about.

Comment

what mechs you thinking about shooting ???

Comment

I used to shoot them out of my 80# Bowtech Tribute.. Now i shoot them out of my 70# Destroyer.. Never had a hiccup they always have opened and usually get pass throughs..

Comment

a lil late on my post.. I shot the rage hypo last year at a doe and had no blood and could not find her.. Couple of days later she showed up at my cousins stand with the mark on her where it went in and that was it.. Took her out with a Grim reaper ton of blood and didnt get passed 40 yards..

going to try out the dead ringer this year out of a nitrum turbo

Comment

Originally posted by Kaycee11 View Post
                              I think they will open, but in my opinion I don't trust them at all. I think you lose a lot of penetration with them opening on impact. There are a lot of people on here that have very good luck with them
                              I shoot rocket sidewinders (similar to a grim reaper) out of my iceman set at 72#s and out of the 4 animals I've shot with them all have been pass thru's, from 17 yards on a whitetail to 86 yards on an antelope.

Comment

Working...
                              X