Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This may have been the first 3D shoot ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are still making cool targets out there at Devils Mtn! I was out there last year, and Butch showed me a cool looking homemade rabbit and another one that I can't remember what it was!

Oh yeah, and I got to shoot at that polar bear a few times too!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
      Those targets were fantastic !!!!!!
      The targets for the "monster shoot" were pretty darn good too !!!!!!

I miss those days.
      I miss Carl.

Rick
      Carl was the best at making archery fun for everyone.

Comment

Butch Gleghorn has some pictures of the shoot in one of his albums. They are a hoot to look at and they bring back many old memories. You guys need to document your archery adventures for others to enjoy years later. I personally enjoy looking at old photos. Brings back good memories of those friends and comrades who shared a common interest in archery from years gone by.

In one of my statements above I stated that there were some really good shooters back then. In truth there are probably better shooters today than then as equipment has advanced and a lot more folks involved in shooting than then. Though we were competitive then I believe our shoots were more fun. There wasn't that constant pressure to prove we were better than someone else. Sure, we would challenge one another as one would try and out shoot the other but it was in the spirit of camaraderie. We had no desire or need to prove we were the best or even better. It is that kind of obsession that turns me off to some forms of our sport. Sorry didn't mean to get side tracked and please understand I don't mean that our shoots today aren't or can't be fun because they usually are.
        Last edited by Straitshot; 07-26-2015, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Peanut is younger than you?

Comment

Awesome job!!

Comment

I keep coming back to this thread to admire your work on the targets. I as you mentioned archery shoots should not all be about competition, they should also be used to help promote our sport! Two thumbs up on your awesome work.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                I keep coming back to this thread to admire your work on the targets. I as you mentioned archery shoots should not all be about competition, they should also be used to help promote our sport! Two thumbs up on your awesome work.
                Wait... people go to shoots to compete??? Dangit! Another thing I have been doing all wrong!

What kinda foam are you using? I'd love to make my own target if I knew I could make one that held up, even if only for a year or two.

Comment

Those are great looking targets. I shot my first 3d in the early '80s in NC. I don't know where they got the targets.

Comment

I wish Butch would get on but he has no computer , I've been around these guys for the last 6/7 yrs and here their stories about the targets and the shoots. I've heard about the foam and the trials and misses, one thing I heard was a slauhter plant was changing out coolers and they got a ton of foam panels , David and Peanuts were builders and added a bunch. I wish Butch would document this . Louis ,Butch and the rest of the Devils Mtn.Bunch were talking about last week. Kool stuff

Comment

PS thanks Louis for starting this thread!!

Comment

Wow, pretty cool!

Comment

I'm gonna see if Butch will let me scan some pics of the shoot and I'll post them.

Comment

Thanks for sharing! Very cool!

Comment

very cool. You guys did some really great work. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Great to see these pictures and hear the stories. Thanks Louis.

I've loosed quite a few arrows at the "polar bear" at Devil's Mountain and remember FINALLY putting one in it and realizing it was a home made target. Its a marvel, and its wonderful to know the history of it.

Sure hope to see you guys out there in September!

Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X