Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas
Default Recommend me a suppressor

Iím looking for a one can does it all suppressor. Iíve looked at a few but Iím just not sure. I like the silencerco hybrid the ability to mount on everything from 223-45-70 is really interesting and the ability for handgun mounting.

Thanks in advance.
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 03:02 PM   #2
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Sandman
Omega
Crux 30
Gemtech one
Hybrid
Thunderbeast
Rugged Surge (believe that’s what it’s called)

5 pages of suppressor knowledge for you

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...rchid=31960842
150class is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 03:12 PM   #3
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150class View Post
Sandman
Omega
Crux 30
Gemtech one
Hybrid
Thunderbeast
Rugged Surge (believe thatís what itís called)

5 pages of suppressor knowledge for you

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...rchid=31960842
Thanks but the link doesnít work.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

The hybrid from silencerco is definitely a do all suppressor. Most .30 cal rifle cans will handle your 5.56-300wm needs, but won't work for the pistol cartridges. Most pistol cans won't handle the pressures of high power rifle rounds. Without doing any research, the hybrid is the only one I know of that will do both. It also comes with multiple mounting options and silencerco's warranty. You should still buy a dedicated .22 suppressor that you can take down and clean though. Unjacketed lead and dirty powder from .22lr will clog up a suppressor lessening its effectiveness. It is my understanding that most high power rifle rounds are somewhat "self cleaning".
lungbuster1985 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

Griffin Optimus is another option. It is rated to 300wm, size configurable, and user serviceable for .22lr use. But... it only works on 9mm pistols.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:33 PM   #6
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Thanks lungbuster I donít much care to have a dedicated 22 suppressor right now just centerfires. I think Iím going to look further into the hybrid.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx

I know little about them seen one the other day(tuesday)on AR glanced at it as I was leaving the range..Went to range friday and heard that..someway some how it was launched while shooting..and aint been seen or found since..No reason for sure why it came off..So Beware S... happens...
cva34 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
I know little about them seen one the other day(tuesday)on AR glanced at it as I was leaving the range..Went to range friday and heard that..someway some how it was launched while shooting..and aint been seen or found since..No reason for sure why it came off..So Beware S... happens...
I have heard of this kind of stuff happening before usually do to not having the can locked down properly. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

45-70 will require a bigger can than most of the offerings that only go up to 30 cal. If you can live with .308 and under, I would suggest TBAC Ultra, Crux Arc 30, or Dead Air.
I have an Ultra 9 and see no poi shift with any of the three host rifles.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 08:46 PM   #10
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
Iím looking for a one can does it all suppressor. Iíve looked at a few but Iím just not sure. I like the silencerco hybrid the ability to mount on everything from 223-45-70 is really interesting and the ability for handgun mounting.

Thanks in advance.
What rifles and calibers do you own?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
SC-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #11
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
What kind of can was it? SiCo?

Old 11-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC-Texas View Post
What rifles and calibers do you own?

223,300blk,243,260,30-06,6.5grendel. Just sold my 45-70 which I really regret so probably will buy another soon.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #13
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

IMO-do all translates to doing many things not very well. I could be wrong but typically these type items like everything will have you compromise somewhere.

You're better off to determine which application you use a suppressor for the most and start there.

I bought a Thunderbeast ultra 7 for its light weight and minimal poi shift.

I shot my first deer today with a suppressed rifle and loved it. I also carried my suppressed 17 hmr and very quietly tagged a couple of coons at 175 yards under the feeder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 01:16 AM   #14
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Get a .30 cal can. IF you get a .4570, get a hybrid with it.

Dead Air Sandman L
Rugged Surge
SIG SRD762QD
TBAC ULTRA 7 and 9
Crux Ark and Archangel
Larue Tactical Tranquilo
Griffen armament Recce 7

I'm not a SiCo fan.

https://youtu.be/9W6obCIV38g

Old 11-12-2017, 07:40 AM   #15
AZ&F'sDaddy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick8 View Post
I shot my first deer today with a suppressed rifle and loved it. I also carried my suppressed 17 hmr and very quietly tagged a couple of coons at 175 yards under the feeder.

What gun and ammo did you use? Did you use subsonic ammo?
AZ&F'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #16
gatorgrizz27
Eight Point

Location: Tallahassee FL, fled the Californian invasion of Austin TX

Quote:
IMO-do all translates to doing many things not very well. I could be wrong but typically these type items like everything will have you compromise somewhere.

You're better off to determine which application you use a suppressor for the most and start there.

I bought a Thunderbeast ultra 7 for its light weight and minimal poi shift.

This. There is no way a can weighs over a pound and is 8" long will be fun to shoot on a pistol. Likewise, it's going to ruin the balance and handling of an AR, even a 10.5" SBR.

If it is only being used on center fire rifles off the bench or blind, it should be fine, but then you're losing the "hybrid" aspect.

Unless you're really dedicated to suppressing the .45-70, I'd start with a lighter weight, mid size .30 can.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #17
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
What gun and ammo did you use? Did you use subsonic ammo?
The coon was shot with factory ammo as there's no reloading of a rimfire, that I know of.

I don't shoot sub's, my shots are too far and I'm not convinced bullet performance can be predictable at any range.

I shot the deer with a 22-250AI running a 22 inch barrel and an 80 grain bullet at 3100 fps. I also recently picked up a 20 inch 308 but haven't completed load development yet. I hunt a food plot that averages 20 yards wide but is 600 yards long on the edge of a corn field so shots can be out to 350.

I know some complain that you can't defeat the crack of the bullet but it's hardly noticeable. I first bought the suppressors as I hunt a small 450 acre pasture close to town with several small 5-10 acre home sites around me. I've tested by shooting nearby and you don't even notice the crack of the bullet if working in the shop if you don't know it's coming. And from 50 or more yards the report from the rifle sounds like a mouse fart.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
This. There is no way a can weighs over a pound and is 8" long will be fun to shoot on a pistol. Likewise, it's going to ruin the balance and handling of an AR, even a 10.5" SBR.

If it is only being used on center fire rifles off the bench or blind, it should be fine, but then you're losing the "hybrid" aspect.

Unless you're really dedicated to suppressing the .45-70, I'd start with a lighter weight, mid size .30 can.
Thanks for the heads up. I think I need to handle a few cans before I purchase.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:22 PM   #19
AZ&F'sDaddy
Eight Point

Quote:
The coon was shot with factory ammo as there's no reloading of a rimfire, that I know of.

I don't shoot sub's, my shots are too far and I'm not convinced bullet performance can be predictable at any range.

I shot the deer with a 22-250AI running a 22 inch barrel and an 80 grain bullet at 3100 fps. I also recently picked up a 20 inch 308 but haven't completed load development yet. I hunt a food plot that averages 20 yards wide but is 600 yards long on the edge of a corn field so shots can be out to 350.

I know some complain that you can't defeat the crack of the bullet but it's hardly noticeable. I first bought the suppressors as I hunt a small 450 acre pasture close to town with several small 5-10 acre home sites around me. I've tested by shooting nearby and you don't even notice the crack of the bullet if working in the shop if you don't know it's coming. And from 50 or more yards the report from the rifle sounds like a mouse fart.
Thanks for the response. I shot an axis buck with my suppressed remington 700 300AAC blackout using Lehigh Maximum Expansion subsonic ammo. Dropped the buck in its tracks. And this combo is quieter than an airgun.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #20
lungbuster1985
Ten Point

The length of the hybrid will not be an issue, the weight is going to be its downfall. I agree with slick8, the hybrid might "do it all" but it won't be the best at anything. A good 30 cal can will get all your rifles quiet, any of the previous suggestions would be good to go. I own silencerco, but dead air would be getting a hard look if I was shopping. Pistols are fun to shoot suppressed, but they blow all kinds of stuff in your face and mouth. You gotta decide if the extra money for another suppressor would be worth it. IMO .22lr is the most fun to shoot suppressed, I suggest a little range time with one before you write them off. Best 500 bucks I've ever spent, but that's just me.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #21
TCB
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
Thanks for the response. I shot an axis buck with my suppressed remington 700 300AAC blackout using Lehigh Maximum Expansion subsonic ammo. Dropped the buck in its tracks. And this combo is quieter than an airgun.
How far of a shot?
TCB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 10:11 PM   #22
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
How far of a shot?

Iíd like to know this as well. Iíve had terrible luck with the Lehigh ME subsonic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 10:13 PM   #23
-HIC-
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

We had a thread going on this topic a few months back with some great info. Probably worth the search.

I thought shooting a .45 pistol suppressed would be fun but that wears off real quick! Unscrew the can to holster, no thanks. My .45 pistol can will handle .300 subs but the performance compared to a dedicated 30 cal can is night and day.

Weight is a key factor for me so the Omega is what I use most. There are a lot of great options now days. I love the tone of everything shot through the Omega, some like the tone produced by other manufacturers, that is kind of a Ford or Chevy thing. Make sure you are good with the mounting options, weight, length, etc. I really have not seen any recommendations on these suppressor threads that I would flat out stay away from.

Like an earlier poster, I shot my first deer suppressed over the weekend with 6.5 CM. The experiance is great- kind of hard to explain. Instead of ringing ears and heavy recoil it was a low crack and thud while staying on target. Was able to immediately thank God instead of kicking myself for forgetting to throw on my ears.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 08:11 AM   #24
AZ&F'sDaddy
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
How far of a shot?
50-60 yards
Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #25
KC Huntin
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
Griffin Optimus is another option. It is rated to 300wm, size configurable, and user serviceable for .22lr use. But... it only works on 9mm pistols.
I have this can and have run it on .17HMR, 5.56, 6.5 Grendel and .308. I can run it short or long and break it down and clean it.

Im no suppressor expert but for my needs to handle my rifles it works for me.

Last edited by KC Huntin; 11-13-2017 at 08:28 AM..
KC Huntin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #26
S&T
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: South Texas

I really like my SilencerCo Harvester for a hunting rifle. Super light weight, affordable, effective and versatile. It's not quite as heavy duty as some, but plenty stout and the weight savings is substantial, especially if you're putting it on the end of a 24"+ barrel. This also helps keep POI shift to a minimum.

I also have a surefire SOCOM and I love that too for my shorter barrels and higher volume shooting. Durable as hell, and the mounting system is rock solid, but the mounts are expensive.

Lots of good options out there but I agree with others as far as do all (or lack of). I prefer to buy purpose built tools which is why I made the choices between the two that I did, so decide it's primary use and find one to fit that bill. I know they're expensive and the wait sucks, but it will be worth it.
S&T is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:10 AM   #27
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
You need to decide whether you want your first suppressor to shoot .45-70, because that eliminates almost every suppressor on the market today.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #28
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
As you have seen from the above posts what you want, really does not exist if you want it to be effective.

It is like getting an 18- Wheeler because it will do everything from hauling heavy loads to getting you back and forth from work.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:01 AM   #29
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post
As you have seen from the above posts what you want, really does not exist if you want it to be effective.

It is like getting an 18- Wheeler because it will do everything from hauling heavy loads to getting you back and forth from work.
Well put...

Iím not dead set on any one suppressor,make,or model. Iím trying to get the most bang for my buck. Maybe Iíll just go back to the 30 cal cans with removable end caps that can be switched to 223/556.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 AM   #30
Hank Hill
Eight Point

I've got a silencerco specwar that i've used on my 308 & 556 for several years now and I've been very happy with it. Just have the muzzle brake on every gun you want to use it on and its about a 10 second swap with the QD mount.
Hank Hill is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #31
Outbreaker
Ten Point

Quote:
Well put...

Iím not dead set on any one suppressor,make,or model. Iím trying to get the most bang for my buck. Maybe Iíll just go back to the 30 cal cans with removable end caps that can be switched to 223/556.
YHM Nitro does that. I have .30 cal YHM cans and they are plenty quiet on the .223, the 6.5, the .308 and the .300 RUM.

The .300 RUM is the loudest (the can is designed for it) but that has to do with a 210gr bullet moving at 3050 FPS and hitting hard.

My end caps are not removable and going from .223 to .308 is not that big of an issue.
Outbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #32
savin yours
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lampasas

Quote:
Well put...

Maybe Iíll just go back to the 30 cal cans with removable end caps that can be switched to 223/556.
Thats what I thought too. If you look at the data, most 30cal cans are not much louder than a 556can/end cap. I ended up with an AAC 762-SND-6 and I love it, sounds great on my 556 and i will use it on my 300blk that I'm building.
savin yours is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #33
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

I ended up buying an Omega 300 awhile back

I narrowed it down to a Sandman, Thunderbeast, SIG and Omega 300
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 02:23 PM   #34
35remington
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbreaker View Post

I used to think this, but have since changed my mind on the Hybrid, as I now own one.

@BLACKFINTURKEY I wouldn't worry too much about the "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" rap some (including me awhile back) like to put on the Hybrid. If you do the research, the Hybrid is competitive with all the current "must have" suppressors.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 11:00 PM   #35
-HIC-
Four Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Bllackfin, you also need to hear the ones you are considering in person - YouTube videos just don't cut it. The db ratings alone would not be enough for me to make a decision. For example, shooting my .300 bo suppressed does not produce as pleasant of a tone as shooting that same can on a 6.5 creedmoor, .308 or even 10" .556 SBR even though all of those are higher db`s.

Some companies/videos are just chasing the numbers. A suppressed high power round is not quiet. The noise it does make should at least put a smile on your face!

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk
-HIC- is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 11:04 PM   #36
35remington
Pope & Young

Old 11-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #37
SC-Texas
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post