Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slick 6's and crab claws

Ok TB'rs,

We are having some discussions within our lease about slick 6's and crab claws on the ranch. The ranch owner has given us full rights to manage the deer population on the ranch. Since this is the first year on the ranch, we have seen a huge number of bucks and a very disproportionate number of does. The owner said that 2 years ago they had a very bad drought and it was particularly hard on fawns so he suggested that we leave does alone for another year. We all agree on that. But where we are having some good discussions are around 3.5-4.5 year old deer that look like nice 8's from the side and then turn and have ZERO brow tines OR deer that have crab claw genetics on the front. What are y'all thoughts?

I personally like Crab Claws. No eye guards however by that age thwack/boom!

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
      I personally like Crab Claws. No eye guards however by that age thwack/boom!

Love the claws, but want the brows.

Comment

I tend to agree with you on the crab claws but for some reason some of guys think that that genetic is not favorable.

Comment

Got any pics?

Comment

yeah. I'm at the lease now. I'll post some when I get back Sunday night to show you.

Comment

I would shoot all crab claws if score is what you are after - mature deer the goal then Id let them get to your goal age

no brows I would shoot on site

IMO

Comment

Age, age, age.

Comment

No brows get culled instantly.

Crab claws I think would be a hunter preference.

Comment

Id let the bucks age before culling anything, hard drought takes some time to recover.

Comment

If you are hunting a low fence place, its going to be hard to change the underlying genetics of your deer herd. I would let your bucks get old before shooting anything - especially in year 1.

But if you have a fairly accurate game survey, showing deer numbers well above carrying capacity, then shooting bucks with undesirable antler traits can certainly help your big deer grow by reducing mouths off the property.

Comment

It’s all about the AGE.

Comment

I was out this morning and saw this guy. Looks young to me and thinking he is 2.5 yrs. He should get whacked right?
                          On my place the genetics are not great by any stretch of the imagination......typical 8 and 10's.

for comparison...
                          Another young deer just needs some age on him from the same pasture.

Comment

Manage for frames. Most mule deer don’t have brow tines, and if they do, they are negligible. Crab claw G3’s are a much worse trait than not having brow tines. The ignorance behind blanket statement management/culling criteria drive me up the wall.

Comment

I personally really like the look of crab claws.

Comment

Working...
                              X