Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Game Management/Age & Score/Trailcam Pics

Old 09-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #51
robert13t
Eight Point

I would leave it. Maybe do some minor hand clearing out with loppers. The dozer guy we used was great. we marked some trees and told him what we wanted so he made it happen.
robert13t is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 10:22 AM   #52
Cardinal
Six Point

Any updates/success from the 2016-2017 season?
Cardinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #53
Map My Ranch
Nubbin' Buck

Cardinal - glad you posted something today, so this was bumped back up. Cool project to follow. Hope the OP has some successful updates from this hunting season.
Map My Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #54
robert13t
Eight Point

Sorry to say that no hunting happened this season. I got my feeder up late and all i saw on camera was hogs. I did find some good rubs. Most of my free time was spent building and working on the cabin. I'll post pics when i can get to a camera.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #55
robert13t
Eight Point

Here is the kitchen and bathroom laid out. I got the electricity hooked up and wired. Now i have to run water pipes and call the spray foam guy. I'll post any game cam pics if anything good comes up.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 03:50 AM   #56
robert13t
Eight Point

Sorry for no updates. The Army has required my time but my folks and friends are keeping the place spruced up and enjoying it. Set up a feeder and camera and just a nocturnal doe right before the season, and a ton of pigs. This is what it looks like cleared out with just the Mexican plumb trees left and the container cabin at the wood line. (trying to get the picture to load) I should be making some progress in January. If anyone knows a good hand for hire I am going to need some help with welding a door on, adding a porch, finishing out the interior, and painting.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:02 AM   #57
robert13t
Eight Point

P
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 AM   #58
robert13t
Eight Point

Way too many pigs. Thinking about fencing around the feeder so deer can jump it. Would that work?
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2017, 11:24 AM   #59
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co

Yes put a large feed pen maybe 10-11 hog panels in a circle. When i started the feeder at my place the hogs took over so i pened it and now pigs have all but disappeared.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 11:45 AM   #60
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

Where are you located?
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #61
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

WOW! Keep us updated. I love the progress
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #62
BIGTERRY75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Van Zandt, Bosque, Rockwall

Nice
BIGTERRY75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:28 PM   #63
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Subscribed. I need to learn about this.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #64
J&M Hamilton10
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hamilton/Freestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by KactusKiller View Post
Yes put a large feed pen maybe 10-11 hog panels in a circle. When i started the feeder at my place the hogs took over so i pened it and now pigs have all but disappeared.
This^^^ throw a trophy rock in there in the spring and the bucks will come. I don't use a feeder in my pen just dump 50 to 100lbs of corn when I can. But my dad lives there so he keeps hand Corning it when the piles run out.
J&M Hamilton10 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #65
robert13t
Eight Point

I really want to plant clover mix in the front where the plum trees are. I have a back portion of cleared acreage that i was thinking of pecan orchid. Will pecans grow in east texas soil? Has anyone tried this?
Old 11-10-2017, 06:21 AM   #66
DeadEyeB
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle/Frio

You should build hog panels around your feeders. Make them pretty wide plenty of space for the deer.

I also cut the top layer of the hog panels off with bolt cutters so that 1 it's easy for me to get over and 2 easier for the young deer to get over.

Feed supplemental protein in the offseason as well as light corn feeding and in just 1 offseason you'll have tons of regular deer and way less hogs.

The hogs will still be there, they just wont be able to lock down your feeders.

You might also consider a trough of some sort if you don't have good consistent water on the place. Or if your neighbors do put the feeder sort of towards where their ponds are.

Last edited by DeadEyeB; 11-10-2017 at 06:23 AM..
DeadEyeB is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2017, 01:17 AM   #67
robert13t
Eight Point

That was supposed to be pecan orchard.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:41 AM   #68
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

IMO, forget feeders and plant plots. Less expensive and better for the wildlife
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 03:34 AM   #69
robert13t
Eight Point

Any suggestions on plots? I was going to do clover in the front 1.5 acres for low maintenance. On the south end I have a decent field about 2-3 acres that I may do the orchard in but a food plot would be easier I am sure. I know that I won't make the time to manage multiple plots so one large plot would be simple. The main goal is good stewardship of the land with hunting as an added bonus.

I have calculated that hinge cutting my sweet gums will be the easiest, quickest, and cheapest way to get food to the ground level. I am still working on clearing around the oaks so that natural native growth can happen too.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #70
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert13t View Post
Any suggestions on plots? I was going to do clover in the front 1.5 acres for low maintenance. On the south end I have a decent field about 2-3 acres that I may do the orchard in but a food plot would be easier I am sure. I know that I won't make the time to manage multiple plots so one large plot would be simple. The main goal is good stewardship of the land with hunting as an added bonus.

I have calculated that hinge cutting my sweet gums will be the easiest, quickest, and cheapest way to get food to the ground level. I am still working on clearing around the oaks so that natural native growth can happen too.
Do sweet gums even do anything for deer nutrition wise? I thought they were basically trash. Have you thought about fertilizing around Your oaks ?
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #71
robert13t
Eight Point

Fertilizer to make the tree grow better or the forbes and grasses? I read from a few around here that they will eat sweet gum leaves.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:42 AM   #72
robert13t
Eight Point

My friend shot this doe off my place yesterday. She was in a group of three, so at least the other two will be around to repopulate.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #73
cva34
Six Point

Hunt In: Vienna ,Tx

Looks like a Beautiful place and you got great plans..I esp like your map with acorns representing trees..Great photos too thx for shareing
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #74
KactusKiller
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co

My place is in Navarro co and we have a lot of pecan. I have pretty much every tree there is except pine. Also plums, grapes and dewberrys. I plowed one spot about 1ac and did a mix of seed. Have another spot that I plan to do in the spring next yr.
my place is about 32 ac. Looks a lot like yours except instead of the creek we have a small dirt tank. Our creeks are just drainage into the nearby lake. I don't plan to shoot any doe for at least a couple yrs to help the population as much as possible.
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 01:49 AM   #75
robert13t
Eight Point

KactusKiller what seed mix did you use? How were the results?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #76
Cardinal
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert13t View Post

If you are limited on time, a spray, throw and shred method of smaller food plot seeds may be your best bet. Most on here would suggest spraying with glyphosphate first, then waiting a week or two and throwing out your seed and shredding/mowing the thatch on top of it.

With it getting late in the season, you may be able to forgo the spraying and just shred/mow as low as you can after you broadcast your seed since the warm season grasses arent growing as much. I'm actually experimenting with that at my place in Henderson County this year in a coastal hay field. This was just a mix of winter peas, oats and wheat. I plan on hitting it with fertilize around Thanksgiving. You can see all of it starting to poke out after a couple of rains.
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2017, 03:39 PM   #77
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
If you are limited on time, a spray, throw and shred method of smaller food plot seeds may be your best bet. Most on here would suggest spraying with glyphosphate first, then waiting a week or two and throwing out your seed and shredding/mowing the thatch on top of it.

With it getting late in the season, you may be able to forgo the spraying and just shred/mow as low as you can after you broadcast your seed since the warm season grasses arent growing as much. I'm actually experimenting with that at my place in Henderson County this year in a coastal hay field. This was just a mix of winter peas, oats and wheat. I plan on hitting it with fertilize around Thanksgiving. You can see all of it starting to poke out after a couple of rains.
This works really well. I done the same thing and my plot grew real well with less labor
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #78
Cardinal
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylegacy View Post
This works really well. I done the same thing and my plot grew real well with less labor
Yup. I know hitting it with gly would be more effective in the long run (the coastal will come back strong in the spring), but the hay is important to us too. Hoping if anything the winter stuff will give the deer some forage plus whatever is left in the spring can be shredded in for organic matter/soil building.

I have other locations that are just for plots on my place...just giving this a go this year to see how it works, and I'm happy so far.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #79
robert13t
Eight Point

I have a sprayer for round up or whatever the off brand is from tractor supply. I will have to check my feed store to see what kind of seed I can buy from them to start a plot. I have a young buck on camera. Hopefully he makes it through the next few years. East Texas is a tough place to live for a deer.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:39 AM   #80
robert13t
Eight Point

If you see this deer, let him walk
Attached Images