Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 11-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
kkp005
Four Point

Hunt In: Madison County
Default Frustrated with my Kimber 84m Hunter

Yesterday I was in Able Ammo looking for a light weight / handy carrying around gun. I picked up a Kimber in 6.5cm and really liked it. My wife loved the way it felt and looked so she pressured me into buying it! I also bought a Leupold vx3i 4x14.5 to mount on it.

So far I've tried the following Ammo (Hornady eld-x 143gr, hornady sst 129gr, horndady gmx 120gr and Federal fushion 140gr) and the best 3 shot group I've had was around 4". This is shooting off a bench with a lead sled.

I bought the spur of the moment (very very unlike me) and have since done some research and it appears these guns either really shoot or are not consistent at all. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated that I have about $1500 bucks tied up in a package that my cheap tc compass / vortex crossfire will out shoot.

Anyone dealt with Kimbers customer service or found a load these guns like ?

Last edited by kkp005; 11-07-2017 at 02:23 PM..
kkp005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
kkp005
Four Point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

If it will not shoot those Fusions I would be surprised if there is a factory load it likes.
I have had very good grouping with those in three different calibers out to 200 yds.
Never tried and farther.
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
kmon
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas and Mississippi mostly

I have only shot 4 Kimbers but all were wood stocked and easily shot sub MOA. I have read about a few that would not do so and Kimber made them right for those people.

I would also make sure the rings and bases were right and if another scope is available try that, would not be the first Leupold to come out of the box with issues.
kmon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #5
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
I have only shot 4 Kimbers but all were wood stocked and easily shot sub MOA. I have read about a few that would not do so and Kimber made them right for those people.

I would also make sure the rings and bases were right and if another scope is available try that, would not be the first Leupold to come out of the box with issues.
This too^^^^
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

I love the look, fit and finish of Kimbers but have heard too many horror stories like this.

I don't know what their policy is but they need to fix or replace it for you.
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #7
kmon
Eight Point

Just looked at the ammo and the Superformance is always suspect I have wasted money on a few boxes in 243 and 7mm-08 that the guns just hated to the neighborhood of 3 to 5 inch groups from sub MOA shooters, go back to their favorite rounds and shoot their normal good groups.

never know what a rifle likes, Tikka T3 Hunter in 338 Federal 1.5 to 2 inch with Fusion factory and all touching with Barnes TSX factory loads.

Also the Kimbers doheat up pretty quickly so if not letting it cool groups can open up. 3 shot groups usually good then might start opening up until the barrel cools Nature of some light weight barrel.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
trophy8
Pope & Young

Very thin barrel. Wait a good while in between shots. Kimber has always been hit or miss on accuracy
trophy8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

How long did it take you to test the ammo? Those small barrels heat up fast and affect accuracy.

Did you clean the barrel prior to shooting? I always clean and properly break in a rifle barrel prior to testing any ammo

A lot of folks like lead sleds but I hate them. From your pic the front rest is too far forward on the fore end for me. I like the front rest to be right below the recoil lug of the rifle so I know Iím not putting any pressure on the fore end that could cause it to flex and contact the rifle barrel. Also, thereís some thoughts that since the lead sled doesnít allow the rifle to recoil naturally it affects the harmonics of the barrel. My suggestion would be shoot it off sandbags and make sure you donít have any forward pressure on the stock.

Thatís all I can think of, but I have heard some issues with the new Kimbers.

canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
kmon
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Very thin barrel. Wait a good while in between shots. Kimber has always been hit or miss on accuracy
the few I have read about though that were sent back to Kimber, the accuracy issues were fixed.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmon View Post
the few I have read about though that were sent back to Kimber, the accuracy issues were fixed.
A $1000+ rifle shouldn't have to be sent back to begin with. I've had a few that were hammers. A couple that were not very impressive to say the least.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #12
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

^ What Trophy8 said. At 1,000.00 a gun, I would not want to have to send it back to get fixed. Their customer service would not want me to have to either.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #13
Horitexan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brushy Hill Ranch, Sabinal, TX

Can't add much to what's already been said except to say I feel for ya. Always sux to get a dud. I'd be on the phone with Kimber in the morning. Some good factory ammo is Prime and Copper Creek.

Horitexan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 06:02 PM   #14
stickfigure
Eight Point

Hunt In: D'Hanis

I had a Kimber that I had some issues with, as well. I think the pencil thin barrels do heat up fast and cause issues. Also, because they are light they really jump around and can have issues with whip if you do not hold the front end.

Here is a website with some recommendations for how best to shoot a light rifle.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-light-rifles/

I think I gave up on my Kimber too quick, as I sold it as soon as I determined it did not shoot the 3 different kinds of ammo I fed it very well. I wish I had tried a few different types, or some handholds.

I presently have a 6.5 Creedmoor that can shoot 1/2" groups but shot poorly with all hornady factory ammo, but shot bug holes with American eagle match ammo and with my handloads.
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #15
kkp005
Four Point

Thanks for the input guys. I've got a lot of money tied up in this thing which makes fighting the accuracy issues frustrating.

I took it home today to clean and did come across something. When setting the end of the gun barrel down against my carpet to drop in a bore snake I noticed a lot of play / wobble between the stock and barrel/receiver. Upon further inspection
I discovered the hex head screw on the rear (torques up the stock to the action) was very loose. Once I tightened it up there wasn't any play. We will see what she does tomorrow if the weather cooperates and I can get some more Ammo.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #16
sbushee
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman county

I’ll give you $300 for as is. Lol
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #17
kmon
Eight Point

I bet you found the problem, loose action screws can suer make one shoot bad.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:15 PM   #18
RLUM
Six Point

Hunt In: Montgomery, Walker, Leon and Kimble counties. RSA

It’s because you are wrong handed!!!
RLUM is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
kkp005
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLUM View Post
It’s because you are wrong handed!!!
Shut up Roy toy. Hope all is well your way!

Can't help I'm left eye dominant.lol But hell I shot the gun left and right handed.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #20
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkp005 View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I've got a lot of money tied up in this thing which makes fighting the accuracy issues frustrating.

I took it home today to clean and did come across something. When setting the end of the gun barrel down against my carpet to drop in a bore snake I noticed a lot of play / wobble between the stock and barrel/receiver. Upon further inspection
I discovered the hex head screw on the rear (torques up the stock to the action) was very loose. Once I tightened it up there wasn't any play. We will see what she does tomorrow if the weather cooperates and I can get some more Ammo.

I was reading and going to suggest using a torque screwdriver in the screws holding the action to the stock. My Tikka T3 would Ďwanderí 3 shot groups going up and left each time. After tightening to factory torque it drove tacks.

Use a torque screwdriver, great sub $50 investment if you donít already have one. I bought the Wheeler scope mounting kit for around $100.

Bill in San Jose is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #21
Stick1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hardeman

Sounds like you found the culprit! I'd ditch the lead sled as well. They can be really hard on optics, especially so on light weights. Not to mention your POI will likely be quite different when you are shooting in actual field positions.

Rifles under 7 pounds generally require a different technique as compared to the semi free recoil method most shooters use with standard or heavy barreled hunting rigs off the bench. Most light weights will respond much better by gripping the forearm and applying a little downward pressure. It doesn't need to be a white knuckle death grip, just some firm consistent pressure. Some of my most accurate rifles are really thin barreled light weights that are a joy to carry. A few can hang with my heavy barreled comp rigs, they are just a lot harder to drive
Stick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:11 PM   #22
Lawhunter
Six Point

I would venture to wager that you have resolved the problem. Still sucks that it made it through QC like that
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #23
snipermedic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Arkansas

Check all the screws reshoot. Then take it back and buy a bergara.
snipermedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #24
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can
Default Frustrated with my Kimber 84m Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
Sounds like you found the culprit! I'd ditch the lead sled as well. They can be really hard on optics, especially so on light weights. Not to mention your POI will likely be quite different when you are shooting in actual field positions.

Rifles under 7 pounds generally require a different technique as compared to the semi free recoil method most shooters use with standard or heavy barreled hunting rigs off the bench. Most light weights will respond much better by gripping the forearm and applying a little downward pressure. It doesn't need to be a white knuckle death grip, just some firm consistent pressure. Some of my most accurate rifles are really thin barreled light weights that are a joy to carry. A few can hang with my heavy barreled comp rigs, they are just a lot harder to drive

What Robert said!

Did you clean the bore at all before shooting?

Additionally I am close by, have private range and an extra scope if you need help sorting out some of the variables

Last edited by bboswell; 11-07-2017 at 09:44 PM..
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #25
RF76
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Now just make sure you have the right torque on the action screws.
RF76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #26
RLUM
Six Point

Quote:
Shut up Roy toy. Hope all is well your way!

Can't help I'm left eye dominant.lol But hell I shot the gun left and right handed.
All is good here brother, hope all is well on your side. Iíll give you a call next time Iím home and we can drink too many beers and embarrass our wives.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #27
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF76 View Post
Now just make sure you have the right torque on the action screws.
Was just fixing to say this. You can overtighten them too. 45in/lbs would be my recommendation but look it up. I run 55-65in/lbs on my customs.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #28
stxhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County

Now that you've found the loose action screw ditch the lead sled. If you MUST use it, at least remove the 25lb weight!
stxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 07:22 AM   #29
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
A $1000+ rifle shouldn't have to be sent back to begin with. I've had a few that were hammers. A couple that were not very impressive to say the least.
My dad loves to tinker with loads. The hardest load development that he claims to have found was for a Kimber rifle. He farted around with that rifle for 8 or 9 months, and it still doesn't shoot like you'd expect a $1000 rifle to shoot.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #30
Livin'2hunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: my birthday suit

The only thing I can add is, you are probably getting barrel/stock contact. The effect would be magnified in a thin profile barrel. The action screw could definitely be the culprit so, I would find the torque specs and cinch it down accordingly.

I have a Rem M700 300 RUM that would should terribly. Same deal, 3"-4" groups at 100 yards. Was about ready to fling it in the brush when I decided to rip it all down and rebuild it at the range. I took off the scope to find the scope ring was bad. Called Leupold, they sent me a new one and it shoots 3/4 MOA readily.

Livin'2hunt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #31
tward1604
Six Point

Hunt In: wherever I can

Quote:

What he said.
tward1604 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 05:31 PM   #32
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:

white man speak wise words
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #33
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

I feel your pain..

The TC Prohunters must be made by Kimber because they are very hit or miss on accuracy...
I Have more of them than I'm willing to admit..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 11-09-2017 at 07:06 PM..
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2017, 09:56 PM   #34
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
My dad loves to tinker with loads. The hardest load development that he claims to have found was for a Kimber rifle. He farted around with that rifle for 8 or 9 months, and it still doesn't shoot like you'd expect a $1000 rifle to shoot.
Weird mine would shoot sub-MOA 5 shot groups out of the box. Then too I had a .264 Win Mag 700 BDL that wouldn't shoot for squat.

OP I bet your problem is fixed with the loose screw. Tighten them all.
Tx_Wader is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2017, 05:31 PM   #35
kkp005
Four Point

Update.

Finally got some more ammo and free time. Just shot the eld-x Ammo and its shooting right at 1" groups from 100. I'm definitely relieved!

Appreciate all the feedback! Sitting in the stand now and hoping to break her in on something this eve
Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM   #36
RLUM
Six Point

Get'm KP
Old 11-13-2017, 06:13 PM   #37
BLACKFINTURKEY
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

Quote:
Update.

Finally got some more ammo and free time. Just shot the eld-x Ammo and its shooting right at 1" groups from 100. I'm definitely relieved!

Appreciate all the feedback! Sitting in the stand now and hoping to break her in on something this eve
Best I could get with a friend of mines also with the same ammo.
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top