repairing rv roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repairing rv roof

well I showed up to the lease to a water damaged camper! we had a bad hail storm followed by flooding and it did a number on most everyone's camper. quick question for those of you experienced in repairing and sealing camper roofs. What do you do? I researched and settled on self sealing aluminum tape and white liquid rubber seal.

All of the plastic vent lids were broken as well. The problem is I don't know what size they are before I make the 6 hour trip. Is there a product or vent cover I can use to just cover them without replacing? I don't need them to open just seal them off so nothing gets in. All advice is appreciated.

On another note this all happened around the same time someone thought it would be nice to break into all of our campers. So my windows are busted out and they broke the metal frames too... Looks like illegals made a lengthy trip and stumbled on our camp. Fortunately for me they didn't make it in but I didn't' have anything of value anyway.

The vent lids are pretty much standard. 14 inch vent cover. Plenty on amazon. Eternabond tape and dicor lap sealant might be able to fix most knicks. I would roll on some henrys tropicool double thick and re seal all seams with dicor and eternabond.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and buy a metal vent cover. You will never have to replace it again because of hail. There are some around $25 on Amazon. The sun eats right through the plastic covers

Comment

also the sealing tape is not the proper product without going into a massive post google it and there are tons of you tube videos on how to . while your up there might want to think about re sealing the entire roof , simple job and once you know what type of rubber roof you have buy 2 gallons of the sealant and have at it . leaks in RV can be very nasty

Comment

thanks gentlemen. metal vent cover! never thought about that thanks.

Comment

HD, I was going to use the tape as a first layer on really bad areas and around corners then rubber seal on top. No bueno?

edit: I think I see what you mean. trapping water/condensation? If thats the case wouldn't that occur with any sealing including liquid rubber?
            Last edited by BuckRage; 10-10-2018, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Eternabond tape is a good product and widely used along with the dicor lap sealant. Ive used both with good success.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleW View Post
                Do yourself a favor and buy a metal vent cover. You will never have to replace it again because of hail. There are some around $25 on Amazon. The sun eats right through the plastic covers
                This is great advice. For the life of me I cannot understand why they put those stupid plastic sunroof (?) covers on to begin with. You are just begging for a leak with those things.

Comment

FYI!

Confirm the type of rubber roof you have. Some sealants will eat through the roof if you use the wrong sealant on the wrong type of rubber.

Comment

Dicor to fix the roof.

Comment

You want to use the proper sealant and then I would suggest use of a roof coating over that . I would think the roof is not new and many times getting on the old roofs they get a small hole in them etc it happens over time

this is one product there are many others . so your the sealant around the pipes etc then coat the roof once and be done with it . Good luck

To purchase please contact your Local RV Dealer. Dicor's Signature Extended Life RV Roof Coating is a 100% Silicone Elastomeric coating system formulated to provide the ultimate durability and longevity to your RV. Signature Coating creates a barrier that is resistant to natural weathering, is extremely durable, breathable, watertight and weatherproof. Superior service life, adhesion strength, flexibility, reflectivity and inherent ability to stay cleaner looking makes the Dicor Signature Extended Life RV Roof Coating an excellent protective elastomeric barrier to enhance the aesthetics and renew the surface of existing RV roofs for many years. Dicor's Signature Coating may be used on EPDM rubber roofs and TPO roofs. Roof specific primer must be used prior to application. See All SKUs Continue Reading Signature Extended Life Silicone Coating Part 2 for EPDM/TPO Roofing

Comment

repairing rv roof

Eternabond tape and dicor self leveling sealant are the best repair solutions without replacing all of the rubber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                        X