Good grass for livestock and wildlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good grass for livestock and wildlife

We recently just had a bunch of clearings bulldozed on our place. What would be some good type of grass seed to spread on the fresh dirt? It will be grazed by cattle but also want something that will be beneficial to birds, turkey, deer (know deer really don’t eat grass), and other wildlife. Soil has a lot of sand and clay in it. We were thinking just Bermuda and Bahia grass (which is what most of the clearings are now) but wondering if there’s something better? Also, is there some kind of perennial broadleaf you could mix in for deer, or will the natural weeds be good enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have quite a bit of kleingrass planted and really like it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
        We have quite a bit of kleingrass planted and really like it.

It’s great if you don’t have horses.

Comment

Sbobet login merupakan link daftar judi bola resmi terbesar didunia sekarang para bettor bisa akses live chat sbobet 24 jam nonstop main taruhan judi bola euro 2024.

This is what I was looking at when I was thinking about doing what you’re trying to do. I haven’t tried it, but have talked to some guys that have, and they seem to like it

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            It’s great if you don’t have horses.
            True, or sheep or goats.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
              We recently just had a bunch of clearings bulldozed on our place. What would be some good type of grass seed to spread on the fresh dirt? It will be grazed by cattle but also want something that will be beneficial to birds, turkey, deer (know deer really don’t eat grass), and other wildlife. Soil has a lot of sand and clay in it. We were thinking just Bermuda and Bahia grass (which is what most of the clearings are now) but wondering if there’s something better? Also, is there some kind of perennial broadleaf you could mix in for deer, or will the natural weeds be good enough?

None of the native grasses compete that well tonage wise for cattle grazing, but the non native Bermuda does nothing for wild life.

Your local ag extension agent can tell you which native is best. They may have some financial assistance to convert to native.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
                http://pogueagri.com/ww-b-dahl-bluestem/
                This is what I was looking at when I was thinking about doing what you’re trying to do. I haven’t tried it, but have talked to some guys that have, and they seem to like it
                Thanks. That does look like it would be a good choice.

Comment

I would go with a native grass seed mix for your area. They will have some short, mud and tall grasses. Cows will consume the grass and wildlife will nest and fawn in the mid and tallgrasses.

Comment

Take a soil sample.

Comment

I have about 120 acres of b-dahl cows love it and makes good hay .

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Flicker View Post

Did you plant it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stick Flicker View Post
                          Seems like it would make great cover for wildlife as well. Have you seen that be the case?

Comment

I planted a field on B-Dahl last year Andy cows love. It is a hearty grass that is drought resistant and fire ants don't like it.

Comment

Just did this spring. Was expensive as well. We had a horse mix. Orchard grass, tall fescue, red clover and timothy. Would hate to try and start seed right now with out a lot of irrigation. Which will also be pricey. I would wait till spring disc up what ever weeds have started in and seed in early spring when rain starts. Maybe a cover crop of rye for winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X