Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entered my first Chili Cook Off

Its the 31st @ our Church.

I'm planning on using Venison & Ragin' Blaze Chili mix.

How much meat do you prepare?
    2#? 10#?......

No beans.

Comment

I like chili that is meaty, spicy and not real runny. I know that's no help, but.......

Comment

If not adding beans....might as well cut up some hotdogs and throw in there!

Comment

Most I’ve done had a min 2 gallons. I typically cooked enough I could keep it warm in 2 large crockpot. I have 4# per crockpot.... so I cook 8# total

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            If not adding beans....might as well cut up some hotdogs and throw in there!
            I was thinking potted meat or Vienna sausages[emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
              I was thinking potted meat or Vienna sausages[emoji849]
              Just don't put any fake arse chili-powder in it!

Comment

Add beans if you want a chance to win it.

Comment

Yes beans. And prepare to be sorely disappointed.

I entered my one and only chili contest at church last spring and walked away with the "World's Spiciest Chili" award. My fiancé is not a fan of overly spicy food and even she didn't think ours was spicy. Not to mention most of the other entries barely resembled chili.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
                    Yes beans. And prepare to be sorely disappointed.

I entered my one and only chili contest at church last spring and walked away with the "World's Spiciest Chili" award. My fiancé is not a fan of overly spicy food and even she didn't think ours was spicy. Not to mention most of the other entries barely resembled chili.
                    50% try and get soooo creative that it isn’t eatable. A box mix of 3 alarm would place top 5 in most, lol. Just make normal chili with a good spice content. I only use venison against anything you can think of and always do well. Won several and typically place

Comment

Tuned in. Ordered 2 bags of the seasoning yesterday to try out for our annual chili cook off.

Comment

Don't cook the snot out of the meat before you put some liquid in....the meat will be more tender that way.

I like multiple textures of meat...burger grind/chili grind/finely cubed.

Add your seasoning as you add ingredients until it's half gone....then simmer 30 minutes before dumping the rest in, and simmer some more.

Use multiple types of peppers. Poblano, Serrano, Jap, Bell, Anaheim....depending on how spicy you want it.

Make the tomatoes diced small, no one want's big mater hunks in their chili. Same with the onion.

Put beans in it, or don't....I don't give a ****. But you won't win if you do.

Saute onion for a few, then add peppers and saute until they get right and start to stick. Coat with chili powder and deglaze pan with beer.

Add biggest textured meat, add chili seasoning, next smallest meat, chili seasoning, etc.

Once the meat is brown add the maters and whatever sauce/beer/masa concoction you prefer....add chili seasoning.

Simmer 30min, add the rest of the seasoning, simmer 30 more or until dinner time. Salt and pepper as you go along.

Comment

Use ground kidney beans for thickener.......Post a pic of your trophy!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Don't cook the snot out of the meat before you put some liquid in....the meat will be more tender that way.

I like multiple textures of meat...burger grind/chili grind/finely cubed.

Add your seasoning as you add ingredients until it's half gone....then simmer 30 minutes before dumping the rest in, and simmer some more.

Use multiple types of peppers. Poblano, Serrano, Jap, Bell, Anaheim....depending on how spicy you want it.

Make the tomatoes diced small, no one want's big mater hunks in their chili. Same with the onion.

Put beans in it, or don't....I don't give a ****. But you won't win if you do.

Saute onion for a few, then add peppers and saute until they get right and start to stick. Coat with chili powder and deglaze pan with beer.

Add biggest textured meat, add chili seasoning, next smallest meat, chili seasoning, etc.

Once the meat is brown add the maters and whatever sauce/beer/masa concoction you prefer....add chili seasoning.

Simmer 30min, add the rest of the seasoning, simmer 30 more or until dinner time. Salt and pepper as you go along.
                            Typically how I do it, except I do 3 'dumps' instead of 2 most of the time. Usually 2-2 1/2 hr cook time.

Comment

No water - Shiner Bock. And give the judges an ice cold Bock, when your bowl time comes up

It's not cheating.

Comment

Working...
                              X