Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does dealing with car dealerships have to be such a pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have looked at a few suggestions, and saw a few I liked. But really thinking about Carmax. My initial thought is that the inability to haggle is a turn off, but really that takes away the incentive for the salescrooks to lie, mislead etc. That is something I appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
      I have looked at a few suggestions, and saw a few I liked. But really thinking about Carmax. My initial thought is that the inability to haggle is a turn off, but really that takes away the incentive for the salescrooks to lie, mislead etc. That is something I appreciate.
      Sold my truck to CarMax a couple weeks ago and learned a few things about the place.

- They gave me a great offer on my truck; beat a dealer trade-in offer by over $4K.

- They don't care if you are just selling or buying or both. Treatment is the same.

- Their salesmen get paid a flat commission per vehicle sold; regardless of what vehicle they sell you.

- They won't negotiate at all. Try it, they won't even follow you out the door. Could you do better playing hardball with another dealer; perhaps, but I'd say their prices are fair.

- Check their website. It will list price and location of vehicle. They can ship vehicles between locations. The price on the website is the price at the lot.

I think that's why a lot of people like them. Is it the greatest deal in town? Probably not, but there's no smoke and mirrors and pretty much what you see is what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
        Years ago, had a friend that needed a job desperately and went to work for a new car dealership in Dallas. Never sold cars, so they put him through their training course. He quit after a few days. He said I’m a Christian and was not raised to do the things they want me to do. Said I don’t know how these people look at themselves in the mirror every day.
        Spot on. Not all dealerships operate that way but what he described is typical of "old school" sales training in the car business. The process is designed to be confusing to customers, who are thought of as suckers meant to be taken advantage of. If you could eavesdrop on the sales department break room you would witness a lot of high fiving and laughing about how badly they hosed that last buyer.

It is no secret these types of shenanigans are largely responsible for the success of CarMax. I have had nothing but good experiences there. I know they are making some $ on the deal and that's fine - I do my homework and know what price is fair. Even if it costs me a small amount more it's worth it not to play verbal volleyball with some lying bozo. My son recently sold them his old Accord for $3,000 after 3 dealerships offered him $1,000-$1,100 as a trade in.
        Last edited by jerp; 05-25-2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I didnt NEED to, but I dont like being misled. The old bait and switch is the oldest trick in the book. I dang sure didnt want him to think Im one of the many fools he has taken in the past. Be straight up and honest. Dont ask me when he can expect me to test drive a non-existent vehicle.
          why do you think you have to ask if available in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
            why do you think you have to ask if available in the first place?
            To see if it is still available.....When you respond to that question with "What time can I expect you to come by and test drive the vehicle today?" you are implying that it is, indeed, available. The problem is that in this case, it was NOT available, and that was not stated ( in fact it was implied that it was available ) until I questioned further, and more directly, which put him in a spot because then he could no longer imply an untruth, but must blatantly lie, in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
              Ha! Just spent three hours up there last night. Salesman came 2500 off a new f250 Nd then showed me the great short term finance I could get on zero down and $2150 a month. This after I explained that I had a substantial down payment. After more debating he then pulls it up online and says the best I can do is see if my manager will honor the online price which was 7500 off. My fiancé looked at him and said you know dam well they will honor this or they wouldn’t post it. Why didn’t you start there to begin with? Came down to it, his number and my number were 10k apart and I wasn’t willing to budge. I started at 22% off msrp and they wouldn’t even get in the same city much less ballpark. I’ve talked to three dealerships and all three has been a waste of time. I will internet shop when I’m ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I went there once. Salesman wouldn't even get out of his chair to show me the truck. Just typed on his calculator and said something along the lines of, "that truck is going to have a really high payment". Didn't know anything about my down payment, income, etc. We both kind of stared at each other for a few seconds and I walked out.

Comment

I would like to clear something up. Of course, this may have just been a mistake. Maybe he just didnt realize it. Maybe it sold 5 minutes earlier. We all make mistakes, nobody is perfect. So how does a decent man, an honest man, a man with honor reply to my smarta.. response? We know how a dishonest man replies, apologizes for being forced to tell the truth.

Maybe the honest man relies something like this:
                "I would like to apologize for the mistake and assure you that it was a mistake. I should have checked status before responding. The bait and switch trick, unfortunately, is a well used tactic by shady dealers, but I assure you we are not one of them. If there is another vehicle you would like to look at please let me know."

Comment

The last few vehicles we have purchase have been through the internet/fleet sales departments at dealerships. Most were high volume, low sales pressure dealerships that quoted me prices well under dealer cost. Salesmen get paid based upon the number of units they sell, not on a standard commission. I had a friend who was the general manager of a dealership tell me his dealership actually lost money on new car sales, but made big profits in their financing, used car sales, and service departments. He said it was part of their business model. Knowing this helps me understand every aspect of the sale. I first shop around to find out the best finance interest rate available so I don't go with the dealer finance dept unless it is lower than the lowest rate I found. I negotiate the price of the new vehicle independent of any trade in. Dealerships will sometimes lower the price of the new vehicle knowing they are offering you less on the trade in. Once a price is agreed upon for the new car, I then discuss a trade in offer, so I know in real dollars what they are offering me for my car. If it is too low I tell them so and go another route like private sale or Carmax. If I am interested in a warranty, which the finance guys always push, I usually decline. There are several out of state dealerships that offer rock bottom manufacturer warranties that are legit and significantly cheaper.
                  Last edited by Bigfootwolff; 05-26-2018, 08:42 AM.

Comment

***********Figured I better update this thread************

I shopped the websites of many dealers, local and within approx 100mi of me. Found a few I considered looking at, including some at Lonestar and Parkway that I ruled out due to previous issues and reputation. Carmax had a few including one I really liked, in Oklahoma. They will ship it for $249. I asked a few questions and had them check it out for me. Then asked a few questions about what I need to do to get it shipped. Then dead silence. Couldnt get ahold of the salesperson. On their site I click the ship the vehicle button and got no response. Next day did it again, no response. Called them and was sent to voicemail and from one unanswered sales desk to another. What the heck? I literally searched the net to see if it had burned down!

Mac Haik had one that was nice but wasnt too keen on due to black interior. I clicked their button to check availability and a salesperson responded to come see it. I replied with the question of whether it was there on their lot and she said the manager is driving it, let me know when you want to see it and she will make sure its there, can I come tonight? I replied "no" but will try in the morning. I showed up before they opened and there it sat. I checked it out and it was very nice but didnt like the interior. It had a no haggle price that was pretty good already. She showed up and asked if I wanted to drive it, I replied "no", its a very nice truck but I dont like the black interior. Told her I would think about it. After a bit she came back out and asked if I wanted to drive it and I said "I guess, might as well so I can make a better decision". Drove it and it was all good. Afterwards she talked with us a bit, friendly but no pressure, no bull. No salesman crud. She asked what I thought and told, " it is no doubt a very nice truck, I just cant get over the interior, its not terrible, I just dont like black, too hot and it has bells and whistles I dont care about and dont want to pay for if I dont have to". She said "then lets talk money" That kinda surprised me since it was a "no haggle" price. She went in and came back out with $1700 under the no haggle price. I told her I would go outside and think about it, that I wont leave without letting know either way.

Came back in to commit to buy it, sat down in her office and while talking to her Carmax Calls! I was nice and cordial, but too late suckers! If you wanted to sell me a truck you should have answered my requests for help and to transfer.

New to me, used 2014 Sierra SLT Z71

No added hidden costs, no tint fee crud, no paperwork fee added after the price agreed etc. No "free" oil change fee.

Elena at Mac Haik

I told her I appreciate her no pressure tactics, and no bull add ons etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      Not enough bandwidth to tell our story. Will in service has been the only consolation.

My nephew was there about 2 weeks ago trying to buy his first vehicle. After 2 hours the best they could do was 900 a month.....for a used 1/2 ton truck. When he walked they told him they would not allow him to waste 2 hours of their time and were going to "black mark" his credit so that no one would finance him.
                      I would have told him that if anything showed up on my credit I would be back to leave some black marks of my own

I would rather see a proctologist than deal with a car salesman

Comment

Bought a New Chevy Equinox at Graffe Chevrolet in Halletsville, Tx. They were a little upset with GM, so we got the benefit. They gave us EVERY discount available and then some. Drove off the lot WAY Below sticker and really didn't have to haggle with them. Our luck day you could say. By far the easiest transaction I have ever had...

Comment

My last two vehicles I've gone through dealers endorsed by CarProUSA - https://www.carprousa.com/

Both times I got the vehicle I wanted at a fair price. No games.

I got the price they'd sell the vehicle for before I showed up. And when the paperwork was done, it was for what we agreed to.

Comment

do your research on the carmax pricing. true that it is easy, and I did buy my first vehicle from them. however, the last couple times I have been vehicle shopping they seemed pretty high versus what I could get by playing the haggling games.

Comment

Working...
                            X