Arrow set up for short draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow set up for short draw

I have always shot around a 375-400 grain arrow, but wanted to play around with a little heavier setup.

Mathews nocam HTR
    70#
    26" draw
    26 1/2" CE maxima reds 350 spine

Here's what I can up with tonight
    395gr 11.5% foc
    473gr 18.25% foc
    563gr 23.78% foc
    All of these where built off the same 350 spine arrow and just adding insert and point weight. I also do not know nor care what the speed is, but also think at 26" with this bow a 563 gr arrow might be traveling at the speed of smell and my pin gap would be huge, and would it counter affect penetration being I don't shoot a long draw or high fps bow to begin with.

Any arrow guru spine doctors chime in and give me your wisdom, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
    I have always shot around a 375-400 grain arrow, but wanted to play around with a little heavier setup.

Mathews nocam HTR
    70#
    26" draw
    26 1/2" CE maxima reds 350 spine

Here's what I can up with tonight
    395gr 11.5% foc
    473gr 18.25% foc
    563gr 23.78% foc
    All of these where built off the same 350 spine arrow and just adding insert and point weight. I also do not know nor care what the speed is, but also think at 26" with this bow a 563 gr arrow might be traveling at the speed of smell and my pin gap would be huge, and would it counter affect penetration being I don't shoot a long draw or high fps bow to begin with.

Any arrow guru spine doctors chime in and give me your wisdom, thanks

More momentum is always a good thing, I would go with either of the two heaviest arrows with a bias toward the heaviest arrow. I wouldn't care about pin gap as long as the pins were on. You could also extend the sight out, like with a dovetail bar, and the pin gaps will be closer together.

It will not counter effect penetration, in fact, penetration will go up with a heavier arrow and cut on contact head. Trad shooters regularly shoot in the 160-200 FPS range and get complete pass throughs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
      More momentum is always a good thing, I would go with either of the two heaviest arrows with a bias toward the heaviest arrow. I wouldn't care about pin gap as long as the pins were on. You could also extend the sight out, like with a dovetail bar, and the pin gaps will be closer together.

It will not counter effect penetration, in fact, penetration will go up with a heavier arrow and cut on contact head. Trad shooters regularly shoot in the 160-200 FPS range and get complete pass throughs.
      Thanks, I was wanting to shoot the heaviest setup I came up with last night with what arrows I already have, the only issue was I used a 113gr worth of insert and had to use a 175gr field tip to get to that weight which limits my broad heads. Although I did put my hands on a 175gr simmons tiger shark that I really liked, but wondered how hard they would be to get shoot good.

Comment

there are a lot of Trad guys shooting heavy broad heads.

You might look at the DRT HD heads they are 175

Durable, high-penetrating, & straight shooting broadheads. Our top seller is equipped with our patented modular weight system (25 grains), so they can be shot as 100 or 125 grains - bound to give your next target a dirt nap.

Comment

Originally posted by ROCKET View Post
          Thanks, I was wanting to shoot the heaviest setup I came up with last night with what arrows I already have, the only issue was I used a 113gr worth of insert and had to use a 175gr field tip to get to that weight which limits my broad heads. Although I did put my hands on a 175gr simmons tiger shark that I really liked, but wondered how hard they would be to get shoot good.
          Speed of smell....Ha!

Im trying out tiger sharks 175gr. I picked them up from a Trad shooter who didnt like the penetration...on hogs...I still have yet to use them on med-large game. Im gonna limit my use of them to turkeys. I have found that when I have a minimal crosswind...they go askew...very easily. Im excited to use my VPA 175 gr 3blade on large game....from a recurve...they fly fantastic even though my form sucks...even with a crosswind.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post

Pretty sure if you extend your sight out, your pin gap will be wider.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
              Pretty sure if you extend your sight out, your pin gap will be wider.
              Rocky is right, I wrote that backwards...

Comment

Well I can say with my short set up, that the 563gr arrow has a dramatic difference in trajectory, which would be expected. The heavy arrow was only an inch low at 20 but I had to slide my Hha to around 43 yards to shoot at 30, where as the 473 was still good at 20 and only a few yards off at 30. I can definitely tell a difference in the heavier set up when it comes to cross wind, with the heaviest arrow it would hit the edge of the bullseye at 40 yet the lightest would drift a few inches holding dead on at 40 with a good crosswind. Either way I think I'm leaning towards the 473, when the wind slacks up I am going to try some broad heads

Comment

Working...
                X