The subject of divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The subject of divorce

Do you think for SOME children of divorce they might be more likely to get a divorce?

It just always made me wonder. For instance, I went to high school with a girl who was a very hot cheerleader. She could've easily been a model. Beautiful long blonde hair, long legs and bright blue eyes. All the guys were crazy about her it seemed. Her parents divorced when she and her sister were very young. Not once in the years I knew the lovely gal, did I ever hear her dad mentioned. I never questioned her about it. Heck, her looks could put most any normal guy in a fog. She was that smokin' hot.

We lost touch after high school and just went our separate ways. What surprised me was that her marriage ended in divorce. She waited until her 30's to wed. Now of course, I have no interest in knowing what the reason or reasons might've been. Just made me question if when she decided to file for divorce, was it in the back of her mind about her own parents' divorce?
    Last edited by BaconIsMyFriend; 07-05-2017, 02:49 PM.

Most smoking hot girls are crazy and have some sort of issues. It's always the hottest ones who tend to have trouble settling down. Maybe because they have so many options?

Comment

Interesting topic. Being divorced, I hope that doesn't mean Riley will ever get divorced. I do believe the environment the child grows up in has more influence than anything. I've noticed that women who never had a father figure in there life tend to jump around from men to men, husband to husband. Just my observation.

Comment

I'm no counselor, but would say there are many forces at work to influence divorce. Family would be a factor as well as friends, celebrity and media influences are two others. Heck, my wife was at a kid's baseball all-star practice and there were 4 moms talking when the subject of divorce came up, and how much money they make on child support.

Comment

Parents still married was a requirement for girls I dated.

Comment

My mom
            And dad divorced when I was five. I am now divorced but I can tell you I tried to salvage every last bit out of my marriage and it was just toxic and and irreparable. The whole time I thought I didn't wanna be like my parents. But my happiness and quality of life is what told me I didn't need her. Now I have a 6mo old baby with my current gf. I'll be ****ed if my daughter grows up with a step father.

Comment

Yeah, I just tried to not make the same mistakes as my father did and so far I have been married coming up on 25 years.

Comment

I believe it has some effect on the child regardless of the parents' best efforts. Being a child of parents who divorced when I was very young, I had no idea what a "normal" family life was like. I thought everybody went to their dad's every Wednesday and every other weekend... thought that everybody had two Christmases Lol That being said, with divorce rates being what they are nowadays, who's to say what is "normal"?

I'm extremely grateful that my parents explained everything that was going on once I got a bit older. They explained to me what a healthy marriage should be like and the reasons why it wouldn't work for them/us.

I've done my fair share of dating since HS and though young, I've come to the realization that people with unhealthy family relationships have unhealthy relationships with EVERYone. I don't know if attractiveness has anything to do with it though LOL. For me, any prospective girlfriend must have a great relationship with her parents/siblings. Its a prerequisite.

I guess my overall point is that a person learns how to interact with society by observing their parents interactions with others, especially each other. In my case, I talked to both parents through the years about what went wrong (Essentially they were young and dumb). They are both very insightful. I want my children to have "normal" childhoods and you better believe that when the time comes, Ill do as much as I can to make sure that it works out. I guess everyone says that though...

Comment

What about church in both situations ? Did that make a difference one way or the other?

Comment

My folks will celebrate their 63rd anniversary this fall. I have had two divorces. First marriage lasted 8 yrs. Second marriage lasted 21 yrs. Current marriage is going on 14 yrs. Neither divorce was my idea.

MANY THINGS figure into a divorce happening. The family structure you grew up with is but one factor. Only concrete factor I know is it takes TWO DEDICATED PARTNERS for a marriage to thrive.

Comment

Lol! Wonder if the %'s have gone up since "wastebook" came along?!

My folks D'd when I'z in the 2nd grade but ended up with a couple of dandy step-parents. Got closer the older I got. I think it has more to do with your upbringing afterwards by whoever your influences are as well as your (and your spouse) whole mindset on marriage from the get go. I'm going on 28 yrs. but all three of my sisters have divorced. I picked a good 'un and they picked numnums.
                      Then again, it's kinda like a brisket! Sometimes you just pick a bad one and it don't turn out rite!

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
                        What about church in both situations ? Did that make a difference one way or the other?
                        Yes it does. Did for me anyhow. Still go to that same Church we tied the knot at in '89.

Comment

Originally posted by Tejas Wildlife View Post
                          Only concrete factor I know is it takes TWO DEDICATED PARTNERS for a marriage to thrive.
                          This!

Comment

Just how hot was she?

Comment

I believe divorced parents greatly increases the chance of divorce for the children. My parents divorced and my wife's parents are still together. When we would get in an argument or disagreement, the thought always in the back of my mind is, man she could divorce me over this, even though the argument may have been over something simple or stupid. On the other hand, divorce never crosses my wife's mind when we argue, it's not even an option. I would go through hell before I ever would consider divorce. I have lived it and there is no way I would put my kids through what I went through and still am going through. Not to run away with the topic, but I believe a huge problem in marriages today are people think it's supposed to be like the movies and tv, perfect all the time. There is a misconception that a human being can make you completely happy and content all the time. No human can ever do this for us. For complete happiness and to be content I believe a Christ centered relationship is key. God is the only thing that can make you whole. People find out that the person they married can't make them 100% happy all the time and start the blame game and pointing fingers at their spouse in blame for their own unhappiness.this leads to many other problems, which leads to divorce. Just my opinion, not saying all divorces are caused by this but I think many could be prevented. Also forgot to mention my older sister got a divorce, and she was older during the divorce and seems to have more scars from it

Comment

Working...
                              X