Lookin for Hogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin for Hogs?

I'm new to this forum, and to public hunting. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me to some good hog huntin around north central texas. I live in the alvarado area(20 miles south of fort worth). I have the permit just don't have the fogiest were to go. I've heard sam houston national forest, richland creek wma, and pat mayes. I figured it would be better towards louisianna? I dont mind driving a couple of hours for some good hunting. Please help

Lake Granger and Lake Somerville. I have killed a bunch of hogs off both these places. They are both pretty far from you, but they are the tops areas to shoot piggies.

Comment

tell me more!

What is the terrain like at these 2 places, are climbin stands good, or ground blinds. Can you mountain bike in and camp. Holler at ya

Comment

Richlands got lots of hogs, but they actually have a hog season so you can't do it year round, and you'll have to fight the shotgun hunters as well, but there are hogs there.

Comment

Do you mean muzzle loaders

Do you mean muzzle loaders, or am i looking at the wrong map. Ground blind, climber, or stalk.

Comment

hog hunting

lake somerville is a very sompy area at times and it is very thick lots of creeks run through there good paths to walk and if you go there is good fishing there in the spring there is two areas to hunt one is nails creek and i dont know the name of the other but there are lots of hogs tree stands and popups are good but a great area to hunt hogs

Comment

i'm gonna hafta try that one out, doesn't look to far off. maybe a couple of hours. Thanks lots. anybody been to east texas

Comment

Don't go to East Texas! The mosquitos will kidnap you! Seriously the love bugs are bad out there.

As for Somerville you have Nails Creek Unit and Yegua Creek Unit. It is a very swampy area, but there are alot of hogs in both units.

If you decide to go out there let me know. I am always up for hog huntin

Comment

I live in College Station. How would I go about getting info on where to hunt at Somerville? Is there any other public land near by this area?
                  Last edited by bbinford; 01-18-2007, 01:43 AM.

Comment

bbinford, you live close to the Somerville WMA. You need to buy the $48 Annual Public Hunting Permit. You can buy them anywhere you get a hunting license. The map booklet will be mailed to you unless you buy the permit at the Headquarters in Austin, in which case, you'll get the map booklet right away.

The only other location close to you is Granger WMA. However, you shouldn't be more than 3 hours from some of the east TX locations such as the Sam Houston National Forest, the Davy Crockett NF, & the Angelina NF locations. When you get the map booklet, you'll see all your possibilities.

Somerville has trees that are perfect for a climbing treestand. There are some big bucks there. Someday I'd like to really get to know that area.

Comment

Thanks Bloodhound! If the Sam Houston NF is in the Huntsville Montgomery area, it's only about an hour away.

Comment

Sam Houston is a place I'd like to try also. I've driven through there, it looks awesome. It is close to the huntsville area. Does anybody have any info or experiences at sam houston. How is the huntin

Comment

Its pretty good during the bow season. But I sure won't ever try to hunt out there during the general season again. I prefer Somerville.

Comment

The SHNF has at least one archery only area called the Cagle area. You'll be safe in there, Justin.

I forget when hog season ends in the SHNF. It's not year-round like Somerville & Granger. I hunted there in October of 2003 - my first year bowhunting. It's a great place. I have yet to go back but I want to.

Comment

I have a 100 acre farm in Thornton.About 1 hour south of Alvarado.We got lots of hogs ! ! ! We are about 45 min south of Richland.

Comment

Working...
                              X