No announcement yet.

Dads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Thread! Prayers Up for the Dad's health.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
      Quality thread Crookedarrow, thanks. My apologies for giving you a hard time. You strike me as having pretty thick skin though.

My dad was stricter than almost anyone I knew growing up. Never any doubt that he loved us kids though. Grandkids have softened him considerably, which is always what he said about his dad.

It's funny but I guess the way things are is almost the same as they have ever been. Makes me feel pretty small in the big scheme of things.
      No harm, no foul. Thick skinned cause of my dad and my job I guess. Learned some lessons from an early age. I am a different person around my girls.

Comment

Amen. I’ve got one of the best dads in the world. We bump heads a lot because we are so much alike but there isn’t a single person in this world that I look up to more, or anyone else that I call first when I’m in a pickle.

Comment

If I can manage to be half the dad that mine was/is then I’ll be doing alright.

Thanks for sharing. We take for granted some of the privileges that we are born into, but things like this remind us that not everyone’s situation is the same. Glad y’all have made a relationship before it was too late.

Comment

Dad taught me to shoot and mom taught me to fish. Thought this song would be fitting for Father's Day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJOarDxHV5M
            Tommy Conners, Hand it down.

Comment

I'm sorry about your dad. Must have been a miserable upbringing and for that I am also sorry.

I am still haunted, however, by the image of blowing one's liver out one's mouth. How in the world could that have happened??? The liver is not within the esophagus, stomach, or intestinal tract, so I can't imagine how that could happen. It's impossible! Were you, by chance, simply embellishing to make the point?

Comment

My dad was also an alcoholic, havent seen him since I was 11. That being said, my Grandfather was the biggest influence in my life and I never wanted for a father. He died 4 years ago and I miss him every day. I have 3 sons now and only my oldest got to meet him. Happy Fathers day Papa

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                  I'm sorry about your dad. Must have been a miserable upbringing and for that I am also sorry.

I am still haunted, however, by the image of blowing one's liver out one's mouth. How in the world could that have happened??? The liver is not within the esophagus, stomach, or intestinal tract, so I can't imagine how that could happen. It's impossible! Were you, by chance, simply embellishing to make the point?
                  Yeah making a point but yes he coughed up spoofs of blood. More then likely from his bad lungs. Lifetime smoker.

Comment

I have shared a campfire with two of the men that posted a terrible child hood experience with there fathers.

Roy/Billy both of you guys turned out to be great people and after reading these post it says a lot for you to.

I hope both of you had a great day because what I know of you two y’all are both good FATHERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

Liver cirrhosis can cause esophageal varices. I have seen varices rupture on patients and blood rocketing out of their mouth. Maybe this is what the op was referring to have seen?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotonSlinger View Post
                        Liver cirrhosis can cause esophageal varices. I have seen varices rupture on patients and blood rocketing out of their mouth. Maybe this is what the op was referring to have seen?
                        I learned something today! Had no idea, but, sure enough, Google confirmed it. Thanks for the info.

Comment

I miss my Pop everyday. Gone 8 years now. Too much to write.
                          Happy Fathers day everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                            Fathers Day is upon us. Congrats to all you fathers out there (early I know). Reminiscing from times past.

My pops and I didn't have a great relationship. He was a alcoholic most his life. As you know most drunks are good at seperating themselves from life and loved ones in general.

He missed out on most my growing up stuff, like sports etc. Mom pulled double duty and did the best she could. I resented him for several if not many years. I learned to except you can not change the past but be better in the future.

My dad cold turkey stopped drinking after he blew liver out his mouth. He hasn't had a drink in 10 yrs or so. Pretty cool dude when he isn't juiced. Wish I would have known him like this all my life. He is now slowly deteriorating in health.

This isn't a pitty thread but a bit more of moral to the story. I hope if you are a dad you have tried to be better then what yours was to you. I have tried with mine.

Coping and life mechanisms are different for everyone. I hope my past changed me for the better with my 2 daughters. Peace.
                            My Dad was also a drunk. It was funny in that his mother had been a drunk and he hated her for it. He was a salesman and a social drinker who never got drunk. He hurt his back when I was 5 or 6. After the surgery the use of pain meds and alcohol took hold in a hurry. He went to rehab twice. That never lasted long. I saw some things as a kid that I really should not have seen. Mom finally gave up and divorced him when I was 9. He was died right after my 13th birthday. I know it will sound cold but I never really missed him. I guess watching what Mom had to go through cured me of missing him. Sometimes you learn from the good examples a parent can set and sometimes from the bad. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 31+ years so I guess the turmoil did not affect me to much...LOL. I am glad your Dad kind of turned it around. Enjoy the time you have left with him.

-john

Comment

Working...
                            X