No announcement yet.

Who gave up their truck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kept my truck...for weekend work and as a back up....drive a 2017 Mazda 3 hatchback.....as a daily ...42+mpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
      I was in a similar situation four years ago. My truck (Chevy heavy half 6.0 gas) was 12 years old and had 200k miles. I had moved out of town a ways and commuting 80-90 miles a day. I knew at that rate I would run it to the ground 15 mpg at a time. My solution - bought a used Toyota Corolla and parked my truck. I now drive a crappy car 80% of the time. It definitely took some getting used to. Mainly self realization that what you drive doesn't mean didly. My truck is now 16 years old and has 285,000 miles. Still drives like a dream. Use it to go to the deer lease, haul feed, haul steers to shows, etc. At this rate it may very well. Last another 10 years. Not uncommon to see 400k miles on that model.

It is somehow satisfying to be in my car next to a jacked up F250 with black mags knowing the little man driving may put two bags of mulch in it over the summer. He'd look down and me and laugh at the city boy in the rice burner.
      I did the same thing for 10 years. Drove a series of small, crappy cars in my 114 mile round trip commute while the big truck sat. Now my home is 7 miles from my workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
        You also don’t get laid
        I’m married with a newborn so you sir are correct!

Comment

]Had a Forester for six years with a hitch for cargo carrier. Served me real well. Now, have Subaru outback.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
          Attached Files

Comment

I have a Crosstrek and my only complaint would be lack of acceleration.

Comment

Sorry Dan, but........................... yep, your crazy.

Comment

I am currently truckless but more by necessity than by choice really. But I used to use just a 1996 Jeep Cherokee (2 door, 4.0 HO, 5 speed) and it worked well. Lots of room for gear and deer with the back seat folded forward, had a hitch and enough power it would pull a small camper or small boat. This was in PA and the underside all rusted out or I would probably still have it. I loved that thing.

Comment

Only thing a **** truck is worth is having all your buddies and their buddies calling you to help them move!! I don't own a ranch or haul farm animals so it is pretty useless for me.

I will be getting out of mine ASAP and back into an SUV! Hopefully a new Bronco.

Comment

I was in this boat a while back. I kept the truck for when I want to haul or in the event I need to tow something to the lease. Bought a small Kia that had 6k miles on it for 12k and use the Kia for daily stuff and such. It worked out for me and my budget to keep miles off the truck and I’m spending way less a week on gas. Just my $.02

Comment

Had a kiddo and got rid of a pristine 97 swb reg cab Silverado that would scream about 8yrs ago, still miss that pickup

Comment

Just do what I did picked up an old 1997 Nissan D21 with 40.000 miles on it. Gave 3900 for it and it gets 25 mpg. I pit 80 plus miles a day on it going back and forth to work.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I do this about every 10 years, then go back to a truck. I have a suburban right now, with two empty gas cans in it to be filled up on the way home. The two most common things I do that I really miss having a truck is when I have to carry something that smells, like a leaking trash bag, or get gas/diesel in a gas can.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            Only thing a **** truck is worth is having all your buddies and their buddies calling you to help them move!! I don't own a ranch or haul farm animals so it is pretty useless for me.

I will be getting out of mine ASAP and back into an SUV! Hopefully a new Bronco.
                            Older I get, I'd just throw my buddy some cash and tell him to hire some teenagers to help him move. Yeah, trucks are useless, until you need em. Yes Dan, you're crazy.

Comment

Who gave up their truck?

Originally posted by Roy View Post

I will be getting out of mine ASAP and back into an SUV! Hopefully a new Bronco. [emoji3]

You guys must not have deer lease or just do the bare minimum on it. I don’t own a ranch or haul animals (except dead) but my truck bed is loaded to the hilt every trip and as a former SUV owner there is no way I could get all the stuff done with an SUV I get done with my truck. From cottonseed hauling, to pallets of corn, hauling water and alfalfa bales to feeders, blinds, coolers, tposts, fuel, lawnmower, weedeaters, chainsaws 2x4s, plywood etc etc , I’ll keep my bed... and tell my buddies they can move their ownselves like I did. At 49 though I don’t have to worry about my friends doing that. My friends are of the age they pay somebody to do it. That’s a young mans deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                You guys must not have deer lease or just do the bare minimum on it. I don’t own a ranch or haul animals (except dead) but my truck bed is loaded to the hilt every trip and as a former SUV owner there is no way I could get all the stuff done with an SUV I get done with my truck. From cottonseed hauling, to pallets of corn, hauling water and alfalfa bales to feeders, blinds, coolers, tposts, fuel, lawnmower, weedeaters, chainsaws 2x4s, plywood etc etc , I’ll keep my bed... and tell my buddies they can move their ownselves like I did. At 49 though I don’t have to worry about my friends doing that. My friends are of the age they pay somebody to do it. That’s a young mans deal.

You got a point there, my truck bed is over flowing every trio to the lease and hauling a trailer every time would get old.

Comment

Working...
                                X