Bulk Cottonseed Distribution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulk Cottonseed Distribution

Has anybody come up with a good way to fill baskets with bulk cottonseed? I'm about to throw in the to towel and go to bagged cottonseed.

Originally posted by D-B View Post
    Has anybody come up with a good way to fill baskets with bulk cottonseed? I'm about to throw in the to towel and go to bagged cottonseed.
    Front end loader to fill back of pickup truck. Pull up next to basket and fill with grain shovel.

Comment

Just dump in a pile on the ground. No shoveling into feeder required. We use to dump it in 5 ton piles to feed cows, it didn’t rot or grow before it would all be eaten and it would take a couple months.

Comment

We just use a plastic trash can. Pull the trailer up fill the plastic can, dump in feeder, repeat

Comment

Fill tractor bucket drive to station and scrape it into baskets. No shoveling required.

Or just shovel it all it’s not that bad

Comment

There was a company at some point selling a feed wagon that would blow corn, protein and cotton seed. Kind of like a feed wagon but without the air lock system. It was a round bin and a leaf blower type system. Does any one know who that was? Oklahoma I think.

Comment

As expensive as bagged CS is, I couldn't imagine paying that price when it is semi-light and a grain shovel makes quick work out of it. But I guess some folks have more money than shoveling drive..

I used a grain shovel from a bed of my truck to the top of the tote frame. If my big arse can shovel 1200 lbs per feeder and have little issue, I'd think most folks could handle it on the smaller wire feeders..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9906.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	24531620

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9911.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	24531621

Comment

Harbor freight sells the grain shovels

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                  Harbor freight sells the grain shovels

Yup....$17.50 with the 20% off coupon.

Comment

We use the big feed shovels and fill the back of a truck. the best would be a front end loader but we don't have access to one of those.
                    We have 4 hoops in each protein feeder pen and a truck full will fill these 4 hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      As expensive as bagged CS is, I couldn't imagine paying that price when it is semi-light and a grain shovel makes quick work out of it. But I guess some folks have more money than shoveling drive..

I used a grain shovel from a bed of my truck to the top of the tote frame. If my big arse can shovel 1200 lbs per feeder and have little issue, I'd think most folks could handle it on the smaller wire feeders..

[ATTACH]899420[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]899421[/ATTACH]

When you have 75 baskets to fill, shoveling gets old...

Comment

I feel your pain,(actually my left elbow does) as I have been feeding my cows cottonseed for several months now using the primitive method. I shovel the seed into molasses tubs, and haul the tubs to feed troughs in the pasture.

I think you need to look into a feed wagon with a chain type discharge. Everything I have read says the augers don't really work with WCS. Maybe some of the farmers or dairy guys can chime in with some better first hand knowledge. Either way, you would still need a FEL to fill the wagon from a bulk laydown area.

This looks like a good deal:

or if you have really deep pockets:
                        Last edited by Palmetto; 03-06-2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stx View Post
                          Depends on how many hunters are filling the 75

Comment

Originally posted by stx View Post
                            Sounds like a participation problem..

Comment

We have 32 to fill and the feed shovel is still the best option

Comment

Working...
                              X