Garner State Park Youth Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garner State Park Youth Hunt

Well we are headed to GSP in the morning for the youth hunt this weekend. Going in with low expectations but will be sure and report back on how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! Should be awesome!!!

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Good luck! following

Comment

Watching for reports. Lots of negative reports from there previously.

Comment

In

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Following. Be there in 2 weeks

Comment

Good luck

Comment

So we ended up coming back early after the first hunt.

First off, let me start by saying how inviting the park ranger and all the volunteers made us feel. I have 0 experience with any other public texas hunts as this was our first experience, but they made the kids feel welcome, gave them all sorts of goodies and had them very excited for the hunt. Everyone was friendly and very accommodating. There was even hot chocolate for the kids when we got back from the hunt. Not a huge deal but little things like that go a long way with a 9 year old.

All the other hunters we met were awesome as well. My son loves being around other hunters his age as he's usually stuck with just me and his grandads lol. So it was nice to sit and talk with other dad's and hear about all their successful hunting trips.

As for the hunt itself we just happened to get the lucky straw and were the only pair that even saw a deer to shoot that evening. About 10 minutes to spare a young axis buck walked out and my son dropped him DRT. We were very fortunate and grateful to have the chance.

It's definitely a different type of hunt being hunting in a park area. Our ground blind was in between some cabins and the deer walked out next to the bathroom lol. But it is what it is considering the type of hunt it is. It's not something I'd ever do by myself personally but I think it's great for the kids.

We ended up leaving last night since we got our deer as my son actually said he wanted to give someone else to sit in our spot since it was "lucky". But honestly I wanted to show up early and surprise the wife as we have been gone quite a bit this hunting season.

Also a special shout out to David the Park Ranger he was very kind to the kids and patient with my sons 200 questions. He even helped when quartering the deer and removing the head. (It never fails, I can clean and quarter a hundred deer but when there's a group of guys all watching I feel like I've never done it before lol.)

But I wanted to give my opinion on how we felt based on some of the negative reviews we read. My expectations were low based on them but at no point did we ever feel like we were not welcome as hunters. Also got introduced to the Texas youth hunters program that I never knew about that my son is excited to sign up for.

Hopefully someone else that was there can chime in and let us know how the rest of the weekend goes.

Comment

Any pics of the young axis buck?

Comment

Comment

The deer are definitely healthy out there. I don't know if it's the camp food or what but it had more fat on it than just about any deer I've ever cleaned in Texas.

Comment

Congrats to you and your son! Great buck and awesome memories made

Comment

Great deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X