No announcement yet.

Scope power setting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt with 3x18 set on 9. Adjust up from there as I feel the need.

Comment

As low as she will go. If the target is farther out you can usually get it turned up if needed. A deer popping up at 20 yards and a scope on 12 power is a poor combination

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
        Max magnification , especially if 2nd focal plane scope.
        Yep, this right here.

Comment

Get some clear glass and 300 yds is a chip shot even on low magnification. I normally never run my rifle over 6x while hunting, and it always stays out 3-4x until I decide to turn it up. My furthest deer so far is 598. I’ve taken a hog at 480 with a fixed 4x Leupold back in the day.

Comment

Bingo. Never understood why people keep their scopes on lower power, especially at distance. Old timers have old ways I guess!

Comment

While still hunting or during the peak of the rut when a quick opportunity might present itself at a moving deer I keep the scope at 6X. If time allows at target animal with a good rest I always adjust to max magnification.

Comment

Originally posted by Gummi Bear View Post
                6x

At 300 yards, or closer, it's all you need.

The higher magnification is great for closely scrutinizing the animal to make sure it's the one you want to shoot, but a lower magnification is all you need for making the shot.
                Got multiple 3-9s and they never move from 6x. I don't have the property to shoot any further than 200-250 anyways.

Comment

Ok dumb questions here: what is a second focal plane scope??

Everyone else I appreciate the input thus far. Based on this, and the fact that I still have good eyesight, I'm thinking 7x - 9x should do the trick. But I will need to shore up my rest some first.

Comment

SFP is the most common that hunters are accustomed to. That means your reticle stays the same no matter what power your scope us at, also means your reticle is only true at max power.

First focal plane your reticle will adjust with the magnification setting so your windage and elevation ticks are the same regardless of scope power

Comment

Here's a good illustration

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I always like to keep scoops on lower setting, get on target and adjust to where I need and still see most of target.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                          Ok dumb questions here: what is a second focal plane scope??

Everyone else I appreciate the input thus far. Based on this, and the fact that I still have good eyesight, I'm thinking 7x - 9x should do the trick. But I will need to shore up my rest some first.
                          Second focal plane the reticle is the same size regardles what magnification you’re on. Subtensions on reticles with a BDC or MIL/MOA based reticle offer different values at different magnifications. They’re only a true size at one magnification, and that tends to be max mag. On a first focal plane scope the reticle grows and shrinks as you adjust the magnification. That allows the reticle to have the same values regardless what magnification you’re on.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
                            Here's a good illustration

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            Ah! That makes total sense. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X