Spine indexing?????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spine indexing?????????

Who spine indexes???? What are the benefits??? Is it a waste of time????

Dorge with Firenock and Tim Gilingham both say it is a waste of time. I could spend the rest of my life testing arrows and not have half of their experience. Dorge says shooting bare shafts and nock indexing until you get them to shoot to the same impact point is the best way to go if you are capable and want that precision.

Comment

Spine indexing?????????

If your name is Levi Morgan or Reo Wilde then it might be worth your time, for most of is we will never be able to outshoot our equipment so the time could probably be better spent on regular practice. But more power to those who wish to do it. The above mentioned post is the proper way to do it IMO if one wishes to.

Comment

If dorge says it's a waiste of time why does he sale a 800 dollar tool for this purpose.

And Tim does not say it's a waiste. Go to gold tip and read his articals. He's indexing all his arrows
        Last edited by enewman; 01-03-2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Tim gilingham

3. Dynamic Spine Tuning: Papertune each arrow to verify they are all reacting the same way. I typically will shoot every arrow in a row on each vane position looking for the "sweet spot" where they all do exactly the same thing. This is the closest thing to "same hole in the Hooter Shooter" that I have come up with to match arrows. Spine testers, floating, or lining the cock vane up on the seam all sound good but do not correlate to same hole like the dynamic spine test done through paper. One thing I know for sure is broadheads will fly opposite of a paper tear so variation in your tears equal broadheads going in various directions. One of the reasons that mechanical broadheads are more accurate is they do not steer like the fixed blades do. The same can be said for a stiff spined shaft versus a weaker shaft or a shaft with light point versus heavy points. They just need treated differently. The light points, stiff shafts and broadhead tipped shafts all need a little more guidance than their counterpart.

So unless Tim has done something different since he wrote this artical. He is INDEXING.
          Last edited by enewman; 01-03-2016, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Indexing arrows depends on arrows. If your buying them $400 dollar arrows from easton Then really not needed. If your buying .006 any brand. I can show you night and day difference at 20 yards. .001 are up to you. Depending on brand you still will see a big difference with these.

Easy test. Take one of your arrows remove the vanes. Now stand 5 to 8 ft in front of paper. Shoot it several times. Make sure you have a consistent shot. Now rotate the knoc. The tear will move.

When your indexing. Your looking for all arrows to have the exact same tear.

Comment

Tim is not indexing with a RAM or other machine. He is doing it by shooting and indexing his nocks like I said. I thought the OP's post was referencing spine indexing mechanically. As to Dorges machine call him and ask him if it will work better than shooting bare shafts. He is great to talk to and very helpful. I'm pretty sure he will tell you the same thing he told me. His tools is better than a Ram and great for aluminum arrows, not as good a bare shaft shooting/indexing.

Comment

Originally posted by dadams View Post
                Tim is not indexing with a RAM or other machine. He is doing it by shooting and indexing his nocks like I said. I thought the OP's post was referencing spine indexing mechanically. As to Dorges machine call him and ask him if it will work better than shooting bare shafts. He is great to talk to and very helpful. I'm pretty sure he will tell you the same thing he told me. His tools is better than a Ram and great for aluminum arrows, not as good a bare shaft shooting/indexing.
                There are several ways to index. Float, Compression. I don't believe in these two. Ram. This one ok but not the best. Flo testing. I do this plus ram. Then there is freq testing. This is the best method when using a tool. Then the best way is shooting them. The other methods are a static method. Shooting them is a dynamic method.

Using the tool methods is like every thing else it's a staring point. But I can tell you if I flo test my arrows. Out of the dozen I will only have to turn maybe two of them. That cuts down on the dynamic testing. So there is a big advantage to spine index your arrows with a tool and finish with shooting.

This is no differnt then setting the center shot. It's a starting point.

Comment

OMG you guys make archery more complicated than bass fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    Haha. Sometimes. But I feel it's the difference of just a shooter and a good shooter.

Do everything you can to make the best shoot possible.

Plus OCD kicks my butt

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      It's not complicated; it's math, science and physics...

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                        It's not complicated; it's math, science and physics...
                        But I failed math, science and physics.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                          But I failed math, science and physics.
                          Hahahaha That's what I'm talking about.

I completely understand the "OCD" aspect of this; tinkering with things here and there that can help improve accuracy, etc.- I'm the same way with a lot of things- it just seems like a little much at times.

Comment

Etcbuckman

I know I go overboard. But I want the best out of my rig as I can possibly shoot.

I also do this so I can help and answer questions. Just like Rat. He has a lot of knowledge. And is willing to share. The only way to get this knowledge is to do it. It's like tech support. You don't have to know everything about what you work on. You just got to know how to find the person that does.

Then I do this to help me relieve stress.

Comment

It is overboard for a lot of shooters; especially if you never shoot past 30-40 yards.

But when you are trying to get three arrows into the black at 90 meters it matters greatly. That's not to say everyone can't benefit from these exercises, but there is a point of diminishing returns for someone who isn't shooting long distances. And if you are competing (in field, 3D, Outdoor, Indoor etc.) and not doing these things you are at a great disadvantage.

To each their own I say.

Comment

Working...
                              X