No announcement yet.

Kitchen Countertops: What kind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sealing Granite is a piece of cake - use an impregnator the best I ever found is sold at GranQuartz - the capillary effect pulls the sealer through the stone and you reseal once a year cause when the sealer dries out the same effect can pull stains in but still no fear they make pultices that will pull em right back out!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371692861.112000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	24211692

I have quartz in my popup camper. Durable and easy to maintain.

Comment

Is quartz a lot cheaper than granite?

Comment

My wife cooks a lot and is worried about some stuff like lemon juice, citric acid, vinegar and cleaning solutions damaging granite. Is that a valid concern if its sealed correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by cnelson23 View Post
            Is quartz a lot cheaper than granite?
            About the same.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
              Tmag, what is a rough estimate for something like what you have in that picture to be installed? To tear out your old cabinets, and install new cabinets etc.. How much would that run me? Any idea?
              I am just guessing here, but I would think cabinets and tops in his pics are n the ballpark of $8K to $15K depending on details. This is just to buy the cabinets and you install them, then have someone come in and install the tops.

Make sure your counter bases can handle the weight of granite if you go that route.

Comment

I work for a custom countertop shop in Bryan. We do granite, engineered stone (quartz), laminate and solid surface (corian). When I was redoing my kitchen, my boss said I could use any material I wanted and I chose granite. Quartz does have a lower maintenance factor, but I just can't get past the natural beauty of granite. There are some really good sealers out there that last for a few years, so resealing wasn't an issue.

I also built all my cabinets in our shop. All in all, spent $2500 in materials and got a $20,000 plus kitchen upgrade. I'll get pics when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                  concrete countertops
                  I do concrete tops and they will cost more than granite

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                    Tmag, what is a rough estimate for something like what you have in that picture to be installed? To tear out your old cabinets, and install new cabinets etc.. How much would that run me? Any idea?
                    The cabinets were custom built in the house, guy set up his table saw in the living room and went after it. He built all cabinets, closet shelving, and installed crown molding. Cost for all in labor and materials ran a little over $5000. The counter tops were run in the kitchen, both bathrooms, and the closet vanity for $2300.
                    Keep in mind this took place in the first half of 2009 when the economy had hit the skids and craftsmen were looking for something to help pay their bills. It's a whole lot different today. BillM does this stuff for a living and would be a good one to get help from.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                      My wife cooks a lot and is worried about some stuff like lemon juice, citric acid, vinegar and cleaning solutions damaging granite. Is that a valid concern if its sealed correctly?
                      These will only effect Marble - granite not really a concern

Comment

No corian!

Lots of money wasted on granite sealer. It's not required as often as many say it is.

Easy, harmless way to check... wet the counter top with just water in an area and let it sit a few minutes. Wipe it up. If it's discolored the water soaked into the stone and the stone needs to be resealed. If it didn't it's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by twobittxn View Post
                          No corian!

Lots of money wasted on granite sealer. It's not required as often as many say it is.

Easy, harmless way to check... wet the counter top with just water in an area and let it sit a few minutes. Wipe it up. If it's discolored the water soaked into the stone and the stone needs to be resealed. If it didn't it's fine.
                          Wouldn't this be too late though if you had an accident with something that could possibly stain your counter, hence a preventative schedule like once a year would be better?

Comment

The cabinets were custom built in the house, guy set up his table saw in the living room and went after it. He built all cabinets, closet shelving, and installed crown molding. Cost for all in labor and materials ran a little over $5000. The counter tops were run in the kitchen, both bathrooms, and the closet vanity for $2300.
                            Keep in mind this took place in the first half of 2009 when the economy had hit the skids and craftsmen were looking for something to help pay their bills. It's a whole lot different today. BillM does this stuff for a living and would be a good one to get help from.
                            I like the cabinets and countertops....U got a deal!

Comment

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                              Agreed. Here are a couple pics of mine. We did the kitchen, both bathrooms, and the vanity in our closet.
                              [ATTACH]507232[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]507233[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]507234[/ATTACH]
                              What wood did they use here if these were mfg. in-house? You have any closer up pics of them? I was just curious, they look good!

Comment

If you put granite in you will never regret it. Shop around and you can find it at competitive prices.

Comment

Working...
                                X