The S word that goes with death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The S word that goes with death

Lots of high publicity suicides it seems lately. I had thought about this the few times Cancer and just death in general have come up on threads in here.

I have seen it way too many times. Part of the job I guess? Young, old, friends, relatives, co-workers etc. It is etched in my brain on the ones I have experienced. Just something you can never forget.

This is my view and my opinion and I will say in the last 18 years as a cop my thoughts have changed. I use to be one who thought "how selfish of that person to take their own life and make others go through agony".

The change for me is knowing I will not be on this earth forever. That is called living and part of it is dying. I have watched people go through lots of physical pain, emotional pain in the struggles of trying to take their last breath or deal with the demons they can not control.

So my change is this. You don't have to agree. If I am at my last end of my days. I am suffering, in pain, living off pain meds etc. As someone on here said it best "it is time for me to walk in the woods and not return".

Sorry not for all of you I know and you may say what a freakin a hole. Watching my mom in Hospice a couple of years ago really turned me. Religious aspect? I attend Church on a regular basis. Am I the best example of a Christian? Nope.

Our Pastors sister committed suicide many yrs ago. Does he like doing a service for a person who committed suicide? I would say no. Can he relate more on the human side? yeah, I think so.

If I can not live in a comfort of state and enjoy this earth there may come a time that it is time for me to walk that walk. I can only hope when it is time the good Lord will take me and I do not have to resort to this.

So all those people I looked down on and how selfish they were makes me wonder. I hope they are in a better place because for some it was helll here on earth.

Please take note. IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM AM I STATING I AM AT THE END OF MY ROPE AND THINKING OF SUICIDE. DON'T WANT TO GET ANY WEIRD CALLS. Just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by CrookedArrow; 06-08-2018, 09:02 PM. Reason: spelinngs

I agree with you. I’ve seen and dealt with the same things in the same line of work. It changed my views as well.

Comment

I'm going out kicking and screaming. If y'all hear that Ole Curt offed himself, y'all IMMEDIATELY investigate Jennie because she probably just had enough.

On a serious note, it saddens me that so many people see no hope for their life. A terminally ill person...I get it and I'm neither sad or upset with that person for that choice. The sadness I get come from those that are physically healthy but emotionally broken. Depression, anxiety, etc are real and affect more people than you know. It just breaks my heart when people can't see the greatness in themselves to give them to courage to fight on. May God hold them all close.

Comment

This is a tough subject to address. I was four years old, when my babysitter shot herself. We were eating breakfast in the kitchen, talking to her husband through the window. Pow. Pow.

I have read many articles in the past couple of days, regarding the suicides and Krautheimer's sad situation. In one, the opening statement was, "Everyone wants to live a long life". What does that statement mean?

Does it mean everyone would choose to live to be 100 years old, regardless of the pain of aging?

Is someone who has died a thousand deaths without giving up, via injury, sickness, catastrophe, etc, by age 55, has not lead a long life?

Personally, I think suicide is a selfish decision, but I don't think all of them are the same.

Comment

Not me

The Good Lord put me here for a reason, at a time when he thought it was right. It'll be his decision when to take me back. I'm not messing with his plans.

Trailboss

Comment

I'm VERY sorry for what you had to go through and I sincerely hope that as a society we figure this out a little better. I personally think it's better to live an interesting life over a long life if it is not a full life.

I do think that if you off yourself in front of loved ones or where they will find you that is sick IMO

Comment

My wife had a close friend do it in front of her parents and I think this messed up everybody's head that knew her forever

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss View Post
                The Good Lord put me here for a reason, at a time when he thought it was right. It'll be his decision when to take me back. I'm not messing with his plans.

Trailboss

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve seen it over the past 13 years more than I’ve cared to. I’ve typed and deleted a few responses. Ultimately it’s a case by case basis on how it’s viewed. Sad for all parties involved.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I've seen it a lot. My first experience was as a young patrol deputy walking up the stairs to a second floor apartment when I was responding to a weapons disturbance. I heard a gun shot. Went in the open door, a mother pointed to the back, I thought i was going to get into a shootout. I went in ready to rock and a 14 year old's brains were on the ceiling, and pieces fell onto my boot. It affected me a lot because I always felt I could have talked him out of it I had got there a minute sooner. All the mom could say was "he wasn't himself lately".

It's a horrible way to go for someone without enough life experience to see that things can get better. But I also understand those who have the life experience to say, things can't get much worse (terminal illness).

Comment

If someone is so incredibly miserable living that they choose to end the suffering, who am I to judge their actions?

Do I feel sorrow for them? Not really. I think of the people who have been through hell, maybe paralyzed for instance that would cherish the chance to have a healthy body, but still find the strength and drive to make the most of what they have.

I do feel sympathetic for the ones they leave behind who have to deal with it.

Comment

I don't think I've ever emphasized the "selfishness " side of it. Just sad any way you put it when it happens, right or not.

Comment

My thoughts, I’m old enough to have experienced friends and family both choose suicide. My immediate reaction is - “What did we miss?” How did friends and family miss the signs of depression, despair, lack of self worth? Should I have visited more? Spoke with them more often? Stop by and take them out of their surroundings- even for a short time? A ride in the country? A trip to the local store? Breakfast at the local cafe? You get the picture, I feel some guilt for not recognizing the problem BEFORE the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a friend that did it in front of his mom and his dad and brother saw him dead on their front porch. He was on drugs at the time. Had he not been he'd probably still be here. He wasn't in his right mind when he did that.

I couldn't do it even if I knew I was gonna die anyways from an illness or something. Or I don't think so anyway. I've known myself for quite a while now and I have a pretty optimistic look on life. I'd most likely wait it out and see what happened. But I'm just guessing because I've never been in that situation.

Going to jail,a divorce or break up or lack of money are other reasons I've known people to take their own life. You can always make more money,get another spouse and if you're on your best behavior you'll eventually get out of jail.

I've had my rough patches in life and I just kept at it. I've gone from having no money to making a good living. Broke up with a girl I loved,got heart broken and got another one. I never once thought I was tired of living. I guess my point is most bad things in life are only temporary. Not all things....I have a buddy that got paralyzed and will never walk again. But he keeps living life. That alone keeps me from ever feeling sorry for myself. He sure doesn't feel sorry for himself. Sometimes you just have to accept whatever life throws at you. I don't know if any of this will make sense but I think there are better solutions to certain things people kill their self over.

My way of thinking with being diagnosed with cancer or some other disease where death is inevitable why not live until you die instead of doing something that will haunt someone for the rest of their life after they find you? If I'm gonna die,screw it I'll live until I die. What's the difference?Other than it's not as big of a mess for someone to clean up after it happens when you die naturally.
                            Last edited by okrattler; 06-09-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

A buddy of mine was recently robbing banks and got caught. When the law came knocking he took himself out. Pretty sad way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X