Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Protein leg size help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein leg size help

Ok I guys this is way over my pay grade! Usually I would over build it and not ask. But my idea of overbuilding it turned into a little more money than I wanted to spend so figured I'd ask for help first.

I had this poly hopper for several years and decided since it was just laying on the pasture, to make a protein feeder out of it. It should hold around 3000lbs but I'll probably never put over a ton in it, unless it's not quit empty. So I found some rectangular tubing for the legs and welded them on at a 22° angle my first mistake was not coming off of the corner because I didn't want to deal with fitting it in the inside of the 3" x 3" angle. SO I have no real support front and back (in the picture). I know seems really dumb now. Oh well not the worst mistake I've ever made. Second the tube isn't thick enough. I tried to put a ton in it this weekend and the legs started to bow. So we quit at 1100 lbs, and my mind went to work. First thought was to get a 3"x4" x 3/8" tube and compound miter it to fit in the 3"x3" angle. Then I priced it. . Then I thought, why not put a sleeve on it and make the legs removable and use pipe. So I priced it, hey that's doable. BUT I'm not sure if this will be enough. Here's what I found, 2 1/2" id, 2 7/8"od schedule 40 for the sleeve 30" long, muttered into the inside of the angle. Then 2 3/8 od schedule 40 for the legs at 10'. If move the sleeves up the angle to make it not so top heavy and decrease the angle from 22° to 18°.
    What do y'all think? Be honest! I'm a big guy, I can take it. And excuse my high tech drawing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my opinion, but I do like your idea of 10' square tubing at 22* for legs. Seems like most of the weight would be supported, and it would be sturdier if you came off each corner (second from the bottom support). Did you make the structure around the plastic bin?

Comment

I thought this thread was gonna be about which protein powder to use for gains in your legs. Never skip leg day.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        Just my opinion, but I do like your idea of 10' square tubing at 22* for legs. Seems like most of the weight would be supported, and it would be sturdier if you came off each corner (second from the bottom support). Did you make the structure around the plastic bin?

No sir that structure came on it. All I did was add the legs

Comment

You might just add two legs on the front and back the same way you have them on the sides. That will distribute the weight out more and stabilize it at the same time.

Comment

I like the 18* idea better than 22 for what your working with. The new location would work very well with the new degree. But I would use the smaller OD pipe to fit "inside" the legs (larger OD pipe) rather than the other way around. After cutting and fitting the smaller pipe to the angle, the weld holding the smaller pipe welded to the angle will produce a large enough contact area to hold the OAL weight. And the larger legs (larger OD pipe) would support the bearing weight better than the smaller OD pipe as legs. Your brace (aka kicker) support for the legs off the corner is a good idea too. That shortens the span and makes the legs more weight bearing with the shortened span at an angle.

Edit: All that assuming you have good welds. (got to add a disclaimer in there )

Comment

Similar to yours

Brian, here's a 3800# feeder that looks somewhat similar to what you're working with. It might give you some ideas as to what you can do. Feel free to call me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150320_172734_resized_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	24493886

Comment

For cutting tube or angle iron at an angle with a saw or chopsaw, build your self one of these from a light weight piece of angle iron and flat bar or flat stock. Be careful in using it and make sure everything is secure when cutting.

Fish are bite-n. And there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!
                Attached Files

Comment

I went with 2 7/8" for the sleeve and 2 3/8" for the legs. I cut the sleeves at 18° first and then decided I didn't have the patience to cut notch them into the angle on the feeder. So I cut a 4" x 12" flat piece to weld across the angle to then weld the sleeve to. My plan was to do it all on sight but the wind was blowing so bad I was scared to death of catching the pasture on fire. Even with 2 fire extinguishers. So I welded the plates to the legs at the camp house first thing Saturday morning while Tyler and his girl friend pig hunted. They didn't stay to long and we ate, then headed out. The wind only got worse but I had both of them on fire watch with a fire extinguisher. Only had to use it once and I think it was more of Tyler just wanting to see it work. Lol. Got them all welded on, then had to cut the old legs off. The new legs were 3 1/2" shorter, so as soon as I made the cut, it just fell back onto the old leg. Had to run a strap from the top to the truck and take some weight off. I'm one of those guys that if it can go wrong it will so there were some extremely nervous moments. But it all worked as plan and she now sits on her 4 new legs with the protein head down at 39". And she's pretty solid. I even was able to climb my big but up and dump the other 600lbs of protein in her. I sat this morning and watched 2 bucks eat out of the head for at least 10 mins straight. Sure is satisfying to watch them. Was really surprised at the amount of horn growth already. Didn't realize they would have started already. All in all it was a very successful weekend. Even trapped one coon and this morning it looked like there maybe another with a very badly mangled foot.

Comment

Nice work Brian.

Comment

Working...
                    X