Arrows for Youth Bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrows for Youth Bow

Just finished setting up my sons bow (xmas) and I'm down to some arrows. What are some good hunting shafts for youth bows? I ended up getting him a Bear Cruzer. Its going to end up at around 22" DL and 40-45lbs DW. DL may be 22.5" once he gets to try it out. Will be sticking with 100gr heads as well. What do you recommend and what spine do you think we need?

He's not going to have a lot of speed. If your going to stay with a 100 gn head. Make sure it's a good cut on contact head. NO EXPANDABLES. Two blade like Magnus stingers as good heads. Also weight is his friend. Just limit the distance of the shot. At 45 lbs if I was designing an arrow I would be at a total weight of 360. And this is minimum. But I would max weight would be 450 gn. I would also look at more foc. So possible 50 gn insert also. I would look at leaving the arrows a little long for growing room.

A 400 spine carnivor is around 7.5 gpi. So if arrow was 24 in long that's 180 gn. Plus 100 tip 50 insert and 18 for blazers and knoc would put this arrow around 356 gn.

Get with muddyfuzzy on blackeagle arrows. They have several other arrows that may be a better set up

Comment

Thanks enewman, good info! Most definitely will not be mech heads and shots will be limited to his shooting ability. It will be awhile before he hunts with it so just trying to find the correct arrow right now that will also work for hunting when the time comes.

edit. looked at blackeagles chart and they recommend a 600 spine for his setup.
      Last edited by Electrican; 12-16-2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
        Thanks enewman, good info! Most definitely will not be mech heads and shots will be limited to his shooting ability. It will be awhile before he hunts with it so just trying to find the correct arrow right now that will also work for hunting when the time comes.

edit. looked at blackeagles chart and they recommend a 600 spine for his setup.
        I was doing the stiffer for more weight up front for hunting. If your going to have him shoot for a bit before then yes. Look at either a 600 or 500. The 500 will let him grow a little. Also get the best least expensive arrow as you can. He is going to loose and break a lot. But that is ok. That is how he becomes a better shooter and turns into a great hunter.

Good luck and God bless.

Comment

My son shoots .350 Black Eagle Deep Impacts and has a 21" DL and pulling 36#s and arrows fly awesome.

Comment

Working...
          X