Practice with YOUR broadheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Practice with YOUR broadheads

I just went to Kansas and missed a 162" buck with my bow that luckily my hunting buddy was able to kill later in the hunt. I am a good shot and shot my bow after getting to camp and field points were hammering tacks out to 40 yards so I felt comfortable going into the woods with my Slick trick Grizzleys that I have hunted with for years. I opened a new pack for this trip and didnt shoot the broad head before the hunt because we didn't have a broad head target and it cost me. As I said I missed this 162" buck and the next morning I shot my bow and was on. I said sorry to my friend because I was going to shoot my broad head through his target and he said its ok. I couldn't hit target at 20 missed right 1 foot high 6 inches and left 2 feet in 3 consecutive shots with 3 diff broad heads from same pack. I moved to 10 yards and missed target 2 times. I finally got fed up and put on one of my friends slick trick grizzley obviously from a diff pack and shot bulls eye at 10 and 20 shot well 30 and 40 yards. Only thing I can think is I had somehow bought a bad batch of broad heads. Men make broad heads and men make mistakes. Its my fault for not shooting actual hunting set up before hunt but learn from my mistakes and know your exact set up is on. Rookie mistake from a seasoned hunter.

Dang that's sucks man.

Comment

I own 2 field points. I could care less where I hit with them as long as my broad heads pattern.

Practice how you play!

Sorry about your miss!

Comment

Yep. Never hunt with out shooting the broadheads

Comment

Yep, the only thing that fly's like a field point is a field point. I always fine tune to broadheads.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
            I own 2 field points. I could care less where I hit with them as long as my broad heads pattern.

Practice how you play!

Sorry about your miss!
            This ^^^ x2 but a properly tuned bow will shoot field points and broad heads the same . I'm thinking you need some adjustments on your nock point or arrow rest or possibly both . You can find videos on you tube on how to tune .

Comment

I have to ask, did you spin test the BH's to see if they spun true on your arrows? If you didn't, then there could be your problem, not the head. If your BH, especially a fixed blade does not spin true, then that can drastically alter the shot. Could have been some bent ferrules on those heads also, like you said above. I would still say if not spin tested, your problem very well laid in that aspect.

Comment

I want put an arrow in my quiver that I haven't shot.
                Murphy will show up at the worst time.
                You could have a nock problem, broad head problem, or a problem shaft.
                Your recent bad experience well illustrates that.

Comment

I had a similar problem the other day, luckily it didn't cost me an animal.

Shot FPs which seemed alright. Then when I went to practice with my broadheads, they were hitting low left. Turns out the draw stop on my bottom cam had come loose...
                  Didn't rattle much when I shot so I couldn't tell, but when I put it on the draw board, sucker had come loose enough to move.

Field points can cover up a lot of little things like that. During the season, I won't shoot anything besides broadheads from here on out.

Sorry about your misfortune, but at least you didn't wound one!

Comment

Which target are you guys shooting with broadheads?

Comment

The Blob target.

Weighs a lot so its not portable, but the dang thing will last for what seems like forever. I much prefer it over the rhineharts I've had. I'm going on 3 years shooting the blob and I'm not getting pass throughs on it yet and I'm shooting 500gr arrows in the 280fps range.

Comment

I'd expect QC issues from a "lesser" company, but I wouldn't think you'd have issues like that with a Slick Trick.

Comment

Just ordered a blob.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                            Just ordered a blob.
                            Make sure you have an arrow puller. Its rough til the target is broke in. Similar to a Rhinehart.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                              The Blob target.

Weighs a lot so its not portable, but the dang thing will last for what seems like forever. I much prefer it over the rhineharts I've had. I'm going on 3 years shooting the blob and I'm not getting pass throughs on it yet and I'm shooting 500gr arrows in the 280fps range.
                              This very true info here. Rinehart will not last for me. I got a blob target back in early summer. I've hammered this thing with broadheads. Unreal the life I'am getting.

Comment

Working...
                              X