Tough Weekend in Pearsall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tough Weekend in Pearsall

The deer are stepping over the corn to eat all of the green browse down south...We had another 3.5" of rain on Friday, its gonna take a hard freeze down here for these deer to even think about the corn.
    Who would've thought 3-4 months ago we would have had this problem.
    I have never seen the Guajilla (sp?) this green
    Anyway not much to report other than muddy and green.
    We don't have any hogs on my place so the only thing enjoying the corn right now are the Javi's.

Come on Cold Weather!

David

I here you we are having the same problem in Burnet right now.

Comment

Well lay down the javi's. Sometimes we have to take what mother nature gives us. On a brighter note, the deer in S. Tx should make it through the winter nice and healty and be in good shape for delivering fawns! But I agree, a hard frost could change the activity at the feeders overnight.

Comment

I guided west of Pearsall last weekend and saw (or didnt see) the same thing. And my buddy said he got 3" of rain at his place on Friday. Tough November....

Comment

I hunt just northwest of Pearsall and we also got about 3 inches of rain. We have been seeing deer at the feeders though and the activity seems to be increasing since archery season. Should be even better once we get a freeze.

Comment

Same story here out of Floresville. I want a hard freeze also. Hunting has been hard now for about 2 months. I have been in my pop up 11 times now and nothing is going on. We do have nice bucks on the game camera but I just have not been out at the right time. Saturday evening and this evening I did see does but they are not legal here. They were legal in October but it did not happen. I am tired of taking smoked turkey sandwiches to work for lunch. I want my dried and summer sausage!

Comment

Cotulla is no different.

Comment

Most of South Tx is the same . I didn't even go down to my lease until last week . My buddy was seeing deer at feeder but I only hunted mine one day . I have a 150 class deer living at the feeder and I just wanted a look at him . I hate repeat hate feeder hunting . I only have one because it is required by lease rules . I climbed out of my stand ( feeder tripod ) by 7:30 am and started to drive around checking fence crossings , pinch points where mesquite bottle necks , and rub lines . I found a good crossing and set my tripod up on down wind side of trail 25 yards . Next morning I was in my set before day light . By 7 am a mature management deer walked out .He stepped over corn I sprinkled out to stop him . He was only in my shooting lane long enough to determine he was mature . Seconds later he was walking away into the thick brush . I drew my bow and settled the pin on his last rib cause he was hard quartering away and squeezed the trigger . He was 27 steps and took it like a man . 45 yards later I had a 5.5 year old 185 pound whitetail . Cull buck down !

Had I been dependent on my feeder ( I later checked camera ) I wouldn't have even seen a mature deer . This is no surprise to me . If you have to depend on a feeder to kill deer then you need to start learning your place better . Treat it like a good day lease . I find it so much more rewarding to kill one with his guard down . Old school hunting rocks !!!! I dont usually post many pictures of kills but here is my proof . Good luck guys . Come on I know many of you are good hunters . Try getting away from the feeders a little . I promiose you wont be sorry .
                Attached Files

Comment

We need a Freeze fast it looks like Sept in Sonora

Comment

Shark attack, great management buck.

Comment

No more rain, and some colder temps. I'm waitin man.

Comment

Originally posted by JMG View Post
                        Shark attack, great management buck.
                        Thanks I enjoyed killing him.

Comment

Working...
                        X