300 RUM vs 300 Weatherby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 RUM vs 300 Weatherby?

I’ve kinda been tossing around getting another magnum 30 cal since I sold my win mag a few years back and was considering maybe one of these two. So my question is from those of you with experience with both which would you prefer? (And I will most likely be handloading for the rifle).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Arrow Slinger88 View Post
    I’ve kinda been tossing around getting another magnum 30 cal since I sold my win mag a few years back and was considering maybe one of these two. So my question is from those of you with experience with both which would you prefer? (And I will most likely be handloading for the rifle).

Both are great. 300 Roy prolly has a little more nostalgia associated with it. Both are very effective killers at extended ranges.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
      Both are great. 300 Roy prolly has a little more nostalgia associated with it. Both are very effective killers at extended ranges.

I was thinking the same thing on the Weatherby I have a 257 and love it, I’m just afraid I might end up spending the extra money to get a Mark V.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing on the Weatherby I have a 257 and love it, I’m just afraid I might end up spending the extra money to get a Mark V.

It’s only money. Buy once cry once

Comment

Read this book and you'll stick with Weatherby.

Click image for larger version

Name:	roy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	24575096

But I think the ballistic "purist" guys like the RUM over Weatherby.

Comment

Weatherby gets my vote. Both are very capable rounds for Elk, Moose and T-Rex!

Comment

No experience with the way, but had a rum that I handloaded. Brass was hard to come by.

Comment

Good RUM brass can be very scarce. If you go RUM, buy good brass when you come across it. Nosler is good but expensive.

Comment

Weatherby vote here

Comment

I have a Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness 300 WBY in the classifieds that I posted for trade. Don’t know if that’s something that may interest you.

Comment

Both are amazing calibers and you'll be splitting hairs trying to trump one over the other..

Comment

I have both, and would say you will be happy with either. They have similar recoil, push pills are somewhat comparable velocities, and will knock the **** out of anything in the lower 48.

The RUM is a bit better for long range shooting given its ballistics, but frankly I dont do long range shooting. I just enjoy shooting the larger calibers!

I typically grab the Weatherby out of the safe for hunting due to the fact it is a wood stocked gun and my RUM is a synthetic. I prefer hunting with classic, wood stocked guns in general.

The nice thing about my RUM is that it is on a Winchester model 70 action. If i ever get bored with it, I plan to covert it to a .404 Jeffrey by reworking the bolt face. Easy conversion to make a nostalgic dangerous game caliber with a controlled feed action.

Comment

Thank y’all for the info.

Comment

Go big or go home .30-378 weatherby and smoke em both.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                              Go big or go home .30-378 weatherby and smoke em both.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                              X2. Took the words right out of my mouth!

jrg

Comment

Working...
                              X